The Student Room Group

Thinking about studying fashion at University and i'm 21 - anyone lend a hand?

I'm 21 and thinking about going to university.
I left school after studying my GCSE's, did an Art & Design Level 2 course at college and after that went and did an NVQ Level 2 in BUsiness Administration. I've never been definitely sure of what i wanted to do but i have always loved fashion and am considering going to university to study it.
My worries are that i don't know how to go about it at the age of 21, i'm not sure if i could get funding to go onto an undergraduate course as i don't have a college qualification in fashion?

Has anyone else studied fashion at university that might be able to lend a hand?
Or has anyone gone to university at an older age?
Reply 1
Go onto UCAS and look at possible courses your interested in! You'll get funding for the course you choose to do, and most probably get a student loan too. If you don't have any relevant qualifications in fashion- I would use your work from your level 2 art course and build a portfolio, should consist of around 10 sleeves and 20 sides. You can also do some of your own work which could be revealing to the course!

Really hope this helps and good luck x
Reply 2
Also I also did a level 2 art and design course, so I will be going to uni in September at an older age to most other people, no doubt there will be people there in there mid 20's early 30's :smile:
Access Courses are favourable - Take one year and you can choose a pathway to suit (I'm on a social sciences one)
I'll be going to uni this year aged 21 and I'm not worried as there will be lots of opportunities to mix with everyone (Even though I am in a wheelchair and can't drink haha!)
You should get funding for each course that's of a higher level than what you've previously studied :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey!! GO FOR IT :smile:

I'm 21 and also wanting to study Textile Design/Fashion Print design in September 2014. I've been doing an Access to Higher education diploma in art and design at a nearby college since September. These courses are designed as an access path into a university course.

I'm loving the course and extremely excited for University and beyond. Don't give up on your ambitions. There are so many opportunities and support out there - you just have to go and find it.

Access courses are specifically designed for people in our situation - and trust me you'll be surprised if you start the course just how many people are in similar situations!

Good luck, and if you want to know any more about the course let me know :smile:

Oh also, everyone regardless of age gets funding for their first degree.
Hi angiem32

You’ve got some good info here already here’s my thoughts on this hope it helps!
I came to uni to study fashion at 26 (I finished my course last summer.) When I started out I knew nothing about student finance and wasn't sure what course I could get onto with my qualifications. It was hard without having a current teacher or tutor to advise me. So I'm happy to share info with you that might help.

Student finance funding for undergraduates isn't affected by what you have a college qualification in, or not.
What can affect funding is if you already have a degree level qualification (which it looks like you don't from the above info.) It's worth taking time to read the government info on this https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview Then if and when you are applying you can also get advice from university finance advisors.

What you probably need to think about here is what the entry requirements are for any course you are interested in. That's a process in itself I know, but an exciting one!
For any design based course you will need a portfolio - if you either don't have one, or if your portfolio is a few years old the chances are you will need to do some new work to be ready for an interview.

With arts based courses, existing qualifications are one thing - your portfolio is another. Many courses make allowances for 'mature' students (over 21) who may have other experience beyond traditional qualifications, so don't be put off right away if it looks like you don't meet all the criteria.

There are a huge amount of fashion and arts courses - competition for places on many is high. Looking into what you want to study and where - and starting to think about what you would might like to achieve at the end is important when thinking about where to study. There is a huge variation in what and how you will study and some courses have amazing links to industry through work placements and others don't. Have a look at where course graduates end up. Does this relate to where you would like to be?

So, to get the place at uni you want, you might have to consider undertaking some of your own projects, going to an evening class or taking a foundation diploma first. I recommend speaking to tutors at uni open days and showing them some of your work, your local college art department would be well placed to advise you too.

Is that helpful??!!

Best Wishes

Viv
Original post by University of Brighton
Hi angiem32

You’ve got some good info here already here’s my thoughts on this hope it helps!
I came to uni to study fashion at 26 (I finished my course last summer.) When I started out I knew nothing about student finance and wasn't sure what course I could get onto with my qualifications. It was hard without having a current teacher or tutor to advise me. So I'm happy to share info with you that might help.

Student finance funding for undergraduates isn't affected by what you have a college qualification in, or not.
What can affect funding is if you already have a degree level qualification (which it looks like you don't from the above info.) It's worth taking time to read the government info on this https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview Then if and when you are applying you can also get advice from university finance advisors.

What you probably need to think about here is what the entry requirements are for any course you are interested in. That's a process in itself I know, but an exciting one!
For any design based course you will need a portfolio - if you either don't have one, or if your portfolio is a few years old the chances are you will need to do some new work to be ready for an interview.

With arts based courses, existing qualifications are one thing - your portfolio is another. Many courses make allowances for 'mature' students (over 21) who may have other experience beyond traditional qualifications, so don't be put off right away if it looks like you don't meet all the criteria.

There are a huge amount of fashion and arts courses - competition for places on many is high. Looking into what you want to study and where - and starting to think about what you would might like to achieve at the end is important when thinking about where to study. There is a huge variation in what and how you will study and some courses have amazing links to industry through work placements and others don't. Have a look at where course graduates end up. Does this relate to where you would like to be?

So, to get the place at uni you want, you might have to consider undertaking some of your own projects, going to an evening class or taking a foundation diploma first. I recommend speaking to tutors at uni open days and showing them some of your work, your local college art department would be well placed to advise you too.

Is that helpful??!!

Best Wishes

Viv

Excellent post, it's refreshing to see a University on here giving advice without a link to their requirements page at the end of it.

Well done. :smile:
Original post by pmc:producer
Excellent post, it's refreshing to see a University on here giving advice without a link to their requirements page at the end of it.

Well done. :smile:

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest