The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good news people, with the play suspended there are some good players on court now.

Of most interest probably is that Murray is coming on court now.
del potro out???

Well now..
Reply 9602
Original post by fallen_acorns
del potro out???

Well now..

This is why I doubt if he'll ever be able to be a consistent challenge to Djokovic, Murray and Nadal he needs to get consistency. I bet Nadal and Ubi are doing a little jig. Just goes to show you can never read too much into a draw. Nadal may have the easier path into the final now than Djokovic, assuming they both get to the final of course
Reply 9603
Original post by lizzy95
This is why I doubt if he'll ever be able to be a consistent challenge to Djokovic, Murray and Nadal he needs to get consistency. I bet Nadal and Ubi are doing a little jig. Just goes to show you can never read too much into a draw. Nadal may have the easier path into the final now than Djokovic, assuming they both get to the final of course

Shocking NEWS! Delpo out. Don't worry Your boy Nole still has this tournament under his control for a few more years! :wink:
Reply 9604
Original post by ubi1
Shocking NEWS! Delpo out. Don't worry Your boy Nole still has this tournament under his control for a few more years! :wink:

I kinda want Rafa to get the AO and Nole to get RG just to shake things up a bit... Sport is at its best when it isn't following a script :smile:

I am still hoping to see Murray vs Nadal just to see how far Murray has come since they last played so hopefully Muzza doesn't let me down and Nadal doesn't do a Wimby :wink:
Reply 9605
Original post by lizzy95
I kinda want Rafa to get the AO and Nole to get RG just to shake things up a bit... Sport is at its best when it isn't following a script :smile:

I am still hoping to see Murray vs Nadal just to see how far Murray has come since they last played so hopefully Muzza doesn't let me down and Nadal doesn't do a Wimby :wink:

Sick guy!:wink:

If Rafa beats Nole in Australia then it becomes 9-3 in GRAND SLAM matches against Nole . Which means even though the rivalry is a close as it is Rafa ends it being the ultimate victor. Old Pal Roger suffered a similar fate 8-2 in grand slam matches but Nole might eclipse it if he loses in Australia and RG.

However coming to your point about Nole doing RG and Rafa doing Ozzie that'd be huge because Djokovic will tie Macenroe perphaps in many people's eyes eclipse Mac and for Nadal australia bring Diversity of the slams and 10th in a row winning atleast 1 slam. HUGE for both. So much at stake this year.

Murray is actually playing really well. And Rafa has his first true test Monfils coming on Saturday? Murray may well beat Nadal but lose to Djokovic in the final or vise versa Nadal beats Murray and loses to Djokovic.:frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
im new to this thread and i would love to see murray vs nadal as they haven't played since 2011 tokyo i think murray if healthy would be my favourite especially as the courts are faster this year and i think imo hes a better hard court player and murrays backhand can really pierce through nadals forehand on a hardcourt not to mention murrays much much improved forehand and his new mentally positive approaches to big matches. Djokovic however I feel will be fresh heading into the final which I think is going to be a important factor.
Reply 9607
Original post by Revisionbug
im new to this thread and i would love to see murray vs nadal as they haven't played since 2011 tokyo i think murray if healthy would be my favourite especially as the courts are faster this year and i think imo hes a better hard court player and murrays backhand can really pierce through nadals forehand on a hardcourt not to mention murrays much much improved forehand and his new mentally positive approaches to big matches. Djokovic however I feel will be fresh heading into the final which I think is going to be a important factor.

I wouldn't say Murray is a better hard court player than Nadal thats really pushing it lol. Murray has a better game for Hardcourts and his game suits hardcourt more. Everybody's game is suited better to hard then Nadals obviously because of spin he puts which isn't good for hardcourts. You need flatter shots. Coming to your point Murray is the Favourite to beat Rafa!:frown:
Reply 9608
Original post by ubi1
Sick guy!:wink:

If Rafa beats Nole in Australia then it becomes 9-3 in GRAND SLAM matches against Nole . Which means even though the rivalry is a close as it is Rafa ends it being the ultimate victor. Old Pal Roger suffered a similar fate 8-2 in grand slam matches but Nole might eclipse it if he loses in Australia and RG.

However coming to your point about Nole doing RG and Rafa doing Ozzie that'd be huge because Djokovic will tie Macenroe perphaps in many people's eyes eclipse Mac and for Nadal australia bring Diversity of the slams and 10th in a row winning atleast 1 slam. HUGE for both. So much at stake this year.

Murray is actually playing really well. And Rafa has his first true test Monfils coming on Saturday? Murray may well beat Nadal but lose to Djokovic in the final or vise versa Nadal beats Murray and loses to Djokovic.:frown:

Yeah definitely a lot of history at stake for both guys. I think 2014 will be more balanced between them I don't see one absolutely owning the other but the year's only just started so I guess we'll find out soon enough. Wawrinka may mix things up in Nole's half but I doubt he'll beat him because I'm sure Nole will want to have the chance to beat Nadal in another GS final since he last did that 2 years ago (wow how time flies)

I don't know if Murray can beat Nadal with his back surgery not so long ago but I can't see Nadal winning in straight sets if they do play each other
Reply 9609
Original post by lizzy95
Yeah definitely a lot of history at stake for both guys. I think 2014 will be more balanced between them I don't see one absolutely owning the other but the year's only just started so I guess we'll find out soon enough. Wawrinka may mix things up in Nole's half but I doubt he'll beat him because I'm sure Nole will want to have the chance to beat Nadal in another GS final since he last did that 2 years ago (wow how time flies)

I don't know if Murray can beat Nadal with his back surgery not so long ago but I can't see Nadal winning in straight sets if they do play each other

I agree but this year am leaning towards Djokovic to cause some serious damage to Nadal. Mentally! Because if he beats him at australia in 4 sets he may carry that momentum all the way to RG. Nole is deadly at carrying on with momentum he hasn't lose a match since US OPEN lol. He's the real no.1 and will retain his crown soon!:frown:

Murray still has the shots to cause damage! especially in the heat. However the bad news for Murray is that Nadal's form improves as the tournament goes on.

I do hope Wawrinka Mixs things up! but Novak has amazing Stamina, defence, return, serve, backhand, forehand. He's just too good. If he wins Aussie open he goes on a 30 winstreak He's most likely to win dubai and extend it to 35 or something WOW!:eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ubi1
I wouldn't say Murray is a better hard court player than Nadal thats really pushing it lol. Murray has a better game for Hardcourts and his game suits hardcourt more. Everybody's game is suited better to hard then Nadals obviously because of spin he puts which isn't good for hardcourts. You need flatter shots. Coming to your point Murray is the Favourite to beat Rafa!:frown:

I just think murrays game troubles nadal alot on a hardcourt the only time ive seen nadal convincingly beat murray on a hardcourt is the 2011 Us open semi final. In terms of the breakdown of the matchup back in 2011 murray used to just but the ball back when returning which helped him against 98% of the tour but not against Rafas heavy spin serve and his returns just landed short against Rafa and he would be on the defense straight away this was apparent especially in 2011 where Rafa beat murray in 3 consecutive semis at Grand slams. Lendl changed the way murray returns now and he doesnt just get the ball back in play when returning but attacks the ball and puts it deep whenever possible i think this would help murray greatly against nadal given hes already a great returner. Secondly on a hardcourt nadals forehand isnt the same like it is on clay , murrays backhand can attack nadals forehand and remember now that hes back pain free expect him to hit more down the line backhands and hit better passing shots and defend better with the backhand. I think atm murray is iffy because of the injury but wel get a better idea where hes at by next week :smile:
In case you haven't noticed im a murray fan lol been one since 2008 i've supported him through all his downtimes i always thought he would win a slam ever since I saw him playing against Rafa at the 2007 Australian open.
Oh Del Potro, why do you forsake thee.
Reply 9613
Original post by Rakas21
Oh Del Potro, why do you forsake thee.

Bro I feel your pain!:wink:
Reply 9614
Reply 9615
Original post by Revisionbug
In case you haven't noticed im a murray fan lol been one since 2008 i've supported him through all his downtimes i always thought he would win a slam ever since I saw him playing against Rafa at the 2007 Australian open.

I like Murray too, I'm happy he's got some GSs under his belt now but I'm primarily a Djokovic fan :smile:
del potro has a really bad record at australia. even in 2009 when he made qf, federer double-loved him.
Reply 9617
Original post by ania_dancer
del potro has a really bad record at australia. even in 2009 when he made qf, federer double-loved him.

Who is Rafa playing 4th round, Q potential matches?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unbelievable Delpo is out. Well at least it makes it easier for Rafa I guess, although I love Delpo. Rafa on the other hand was awesome today - 39 winners over 3 sets is really impressive, shows he's being very aggressive early on.

Very impressed with Kokkinakis - fully believe he could be a top 20 player in the future.
Reply 9619
This is kind of obsessive but I already examined the draw and if nothing weird happens the final should be Djokovic against Fed, Murray, or Rafa. Fed and Murray should meet in the QF, IIRC.
I'd be fine with Murray or Nadal winning but I'm not counting on anything.

I normally don't watch the early rounds so I found out about DelPo from this thread. Weird.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest