The Student Room Group

Giving blood - Think about it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samwah
Hey guys, I gave blood for the first time yesterday and wanted to share my experience and hopefully convince some people to give it a go.

I made the decision to start giving blood after a presentation in college and finding out you only had to be 17 to start giving blood. It was quite simple, i just give my name and address and was then contacted to book an appointment at my local centre which is only about 5 minutes away.

I turned up and tbh i was quite nervous (I've never been a big fan of needles) but the nurses were great and after a few quick questions and some reassurances i was on the bed getting ready to have a needle in my arm! I was surprised at how minimal the pain was, just a tiny pinch for a fraction of a second, and that's the only bit of uncomfort about the process. I then just lay back and relaxed for about 10 minutes while the blood was drained, i actually felt quite chilled! Then a nurse just took the needle out, put a dressing on and that was it, I wasn't lightheaded or dizzy and after a quick drink and a biscuit was ready to go home.

It had no impact on what i could do for the rest of the night and i felt completely normal and will be going back again in august!

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, i was there for no longer than an hour, and the small second of discomfort is more than worth it for the satisfaction of knowing i could of saved someone's life. If anyone has any questions or concerns i'd be more than happy to answer them!

Sam

Seeing as you're male, you know you can give blood every three months? And yes I agree giving blood is very fulfilling and you're kind of blindly helping someone in need just by that simple effort to take five minutes out of your day. I gave last June and I'm giving again on the 27th January, which I'm greatly looking forward to. In addition you get to meet older people and have a chat with what they've done and their experiences of giving blood.
Original post by EJA258
Giving blood has always been something I've wanted to do. I went to get it done at the SU, the guy let me put my name in a time slot and I came back at that time. When I came back he said I wasn't allowed cause I'm female, less than 20 years old and under the height and weight restrictions. I wasn't happy that he let me put my name down and I wasted my time when someone else could have had the slot. If he told me the first time I put my name down I would have been fine with it. Gonna have to wait until I'm 20 now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What an incompetent idiot. In future, don't go to your SU. Go to somewhere public. You have to be 17 to be a donor, whether you're male or female so just disspelling that lie he told you. Also, I wouldn't trust what he says on the height and weight thing seeing as he told you incorrectly about the age limit. Go to blood.co.uk and see where your nearest session is, you can pre book it.
I give blood every three months :wink: to a lab.
I would love to actually give blood though. But I'm not allowed due to low iron and an autoimmune disease

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EJA258
Giving blood has always been something I've wanted to do. I went to get it done at the SU, the guy let me put my name in a time slot and I came back at that time. When I came back he said I wasn't allowed cause I'm female, less than 20 years old and under the height and weight restrictions. I wasn't happy that he let me put my name down and I wasted my time when someone else could have had the slot. If he told me the first time I put my name down I would have been fine with it. Gonna have to wait until I'm 20 now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by und3niable_
What an incompetent idiot. In future, don't go to your SU. Go to somewhere public. You have to be 17 to be a donor, whether you're male or female so just disspelling that lie he told you. Also, I wouldn't trust what he says on the height and weight thing seeing as he told you incorrectly about the age limit. Go to blood.co.uk and see where your nearest session is, you can pre book it.

No need to get so worked up :tongue: There are different limits for girls under 20, so he probably wasn't wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
I tried to give blood 2 weeks ago. They said I was underweight to give blood. I am 17.
Reply 165
This might be useful for the females under 20 on here who wish to donate blood:

http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/who-can-give-blood/??
Original post by nexttime
No need to get so worked up :tongue: There are different limits for girls under 20, so he probably wasn't wrong.

There literally isn't; you just have to be over 17, menstruating regularly and not be under 7st haha
Original post by und3niable_
There literally isn't; you just have to be over 17, menstruating regularly and not be under 7st haha

Come on, do some research before you claim something TWICE.

If you'd googled 'uk blood donation rules' you'd have been able to find:

Most people can give blood. If you are generally in good health, age 17 to 65 (if it's your first time) and weigh at least 50kg (7st 12Ib) you can donate. However, If you are female, aged under 20 years old and weigh under 65kg (10st 3lb) and are under 168cm (5' 6") in height, we need to estimate your blood volume before donating.

So girls aged 17-20 weighing 50-65kg may or may not be able to give blood.
Reply 168
I know it's stupid, but I'm only worried about the finger pricking that you, apparently, have to do before you give the blood.
Original post by P.Kaur
I know it's stupid, but I'm only worried about the finger pricking that you, apparently, have to do before you give the blood.

It's not painful as such, more of a surprise than anything else. Feels a bit like getting a little electric shock on the tip of your finger.
Original post by moonkatt
It's not painful as such, more of a surprise than anything else. Feels a bit like getting a little electric shock on the tip of your finger.

That's quite a good description :biggrin: IT does hurt a bit when they insert the needle in your arm though, and then Im like "Oh this could happily stay here forever" :biggrin:
Reply 171

That doesn't make it sound much better, LOL. I think I will just have to get over it :P

Original post by de_monies
That's quite a good description :biggrin: IT does hurt a bit when they insert the needle in your arm though, and then Im like "Oh this could happily stay here forever" :biggrin:

Just like a normal blood test pain I'm guessing... that's why I'm not too worried about that bit :biggrin:
Original post by P.Kaur
That doesn't make it sound much better, LOL. I think I will just have to get over it :P

Just like a normal blood test pain I'm guessing... that's why I'm not too worried about that bit :biggrin:

Think of it like those electric shock pens. They can be a little painful,but they're harmless :smile: And yeah I guess you could say so.

Original post by paula92xo
Do you have to have good/thick veins to give blood? Mine are thin! Nurses use regular needles for bloods, but sometimes have to use a butterfly if they're not prominent.

May I ask what the butterfly is?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
May I ask what the butterfly is?

It's a tiny needle that looks like a butterfly (sort of)

butterfly.gif
(edited 10 years ago)
It's a tiny needle that looks like a butterfly

butterfly.gif

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I guess I must have good veins :smile:
Original post by nexttime
Come on, do some research before you claim something TWICE.

If you'd googled 'uk blood donation rules' you'd have been able to find:

So girls aged 17-20 weighing 50-65kg may or may not be able to give blood.

I've been with friends who have been able to give blood quite easily within that weight range. It's no prob for me because I'm a fatty but in practice not many are generally refused
Original post by Arirang
I'm already 21 but.. why would my blood volume be acceptable at less than 3500ml when I'm 20, but not when I'm under 20? Can anyone explain? Or am I just missing something?

Not everything in medicine has a definitive explanation. Sometimes you just make an observation and have to act on it. We don't really know how paracetamol works, for instance. But it does hence its wide use in even very severe pain in hospital.

In this case... maybe those over 20 are more able to clamp their arteries down to cope with losing 500ml? Maybe they are more able to shift protein and water back into the arteries to keep the pressure up. Maybe there are psychological factors (I suspect quite likely). Whatever the reason - it seems to work.
Original post by P.Kaur

I have a friend who passed out from this.
I can't give blood due to low iron and white blood cell count. Also have hypothyroidism but not sure if that counts?

Quick Reply

Latest