The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bshrestha
My school gave it to me. I think you can get it online though; your school should have given you an ID number of some sort. Yes, mine too. Also, I've lived in London all my life so it's not much an exciting experience for me. Oxbridge would be something quite different and traditional, but its just incredibly hard to get into and very unpredictable. I am not too sure; I haven't quite thought about that yet. If LSE rejects me, then I will most likely take a gap year and travel and working in finance or something along those lines. It's rather scary how much we have in common in regards to university!

I know right! God I really hope we both get in!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by reapplicant
October 15th, the oxford deadline

Omg, can't believe you waited all that time. Hope I don't have to wait till March

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gracelich
Omg, can't believe you waited all that time. Hope I don't have to wait till March

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know, at some point you just dont care. I added durham and warwick as my 5th choice at january and they offered me a place earlier than Lse which made me less nervous
Okay so basically I have applied to do philosophy and economics at LSE. But, now I am thinking that maybe a straight economics degree at a lower university but still a Russell group university would be better. I mean in order to reapply for an economics degree I'd have to take a gap year. But, its just because everyone tells me there is very little I can do with a philosophy degree even if its at LSE in terms of jobs and I really want a high paying job in the city. Also, since I want to do my masters in financial economics at cambridge/oxford, they require a lot of economics and maths modules which philosophy and economics does not offer. What do you guys think please give me some advice?

Hi,

Im pretty sure that the financial economics masters (at Oxford at least) only requires a working knowledge of calculus, which you'll get comfortably from LSEs phil and econ course. You do basic maths and stats courses in your first year, and can just choose an econometrics module in your third year, that will easily give you the maths required. The difference between phil & econ, and straight econ at LSE is minimal to be honest. You'll learn the same economics in both courses. The only difference between the two is that in philosophy and economics you'll take philosophy modules in the place of the maths and optional modules you'd get in the straight econ degree. If you're that bothered about studying an unnecessary amount of maths then re-apply for econ, but philosophy and econ will be fine for what you want.
Reply 4044
Just withdrew my application for maths with economics.
Reply 4045
Original post by CD315
Just withdrew my application for maths with economics.

Oxbridge?
Reply 4046
Okay so basically I have applied to do philosophy and economics at LSE. But, now I am thinking that maybe a straight economics degree at a lower university but still a Russell group university would be better. I mean in order to reapply for an economics degree I'd have to take a gap year. But, its just because everyone tells me there is very little I can do with a philosophy degree even if its at LSE in terms of jobs and I really want a high paying job in the city. Also, since I want to do my masters in financial economics at cambridge/oxford, they require a lot of economics and maths modules which philosophy and economics does not offer. What do you guys think please give me some advice?

Don't be silly. Of course LSE will get you places no matter if its just economics or economics with philosophy. Even many history graduates go and work in the financial sector.
But from what i see, you have no interest in economics and only want to get a soulless job like banking to make money. I really hope that that shows in your PS, in which case, they will reject you anyways. If you don't enjoy your subject it isn't the best idea to study it in LSE/Oxbridge or other top universities. The workload is huge and they won't guide you enough, so you'll just end up with a 2.2 or lower. In that case, it is better if you go to a lesser RG university.
Edit: the reason why it is economics and philosophy is the philosophy does compliment economics and help you understand its concepts better and in a new perspective
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4047
Original post by arminb
Oxbridge?

Firming Cambridge, insuring Imperial (maths).
Reply 4048
Wow that's amazing! What subjects were they in? :smile:

I'm an international applicant from Singapore, hence the subject combinations will be different. I took bio, chem, math econs, higher econs, and we have a few other subjects like project work that were included too
Reply 4049
Original post by arminb
But from what i see, you have no interest in economics and only want to get a soulless job like banking to make money. I really hope that that shows in your PS, in which case, they will reject you anyways. If you don't enjoy your subject it isn't the best idea to study it in LSE/Oxbridge or other top universities. The workload is huge and they won't guide you enough, so you'll just end up with a 2.2 or lower. In that case, it is better if you go to a lesser RG university.

Completely agree on that.
Original post by arminb
Don't be silly. Of course LSE will get you places no matter if its just economics or economics with philosophy. Even many history graduates go and work in the financial sector.
Edit: the reason why it is economics and philosophy is the philosophy does compliment economics and help you understand its concepts better and in a new perspective

Slightly judgmental for my tastes, but the essence of the argument is a good one. If you don't love what you're studying, the top flight Unis will be a really tough choice requiring great self discipline, especially in relation to subjects like philosophy and economics.

I'd think really hard about why you are studying what you are studying, and what the field you want to enter actually wants. Financial institutions will often take what they see as talent regardless of degree topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4051
Original post by sonali05
Aw cool! I visited last year, loved the country!
I'm in Mauritius :smile:

Nice!! :smile: Which place(s) did you visit? Are you from Mauritius or just living there?
Reply 4052
Original post by CG1012
Nice!! :smile: Which place(s) did you visit? Are you from Mauritius or just living there?

We visited around 10 places I think although I can't remember all :tongue: but we went to Beijing, xian, Guilin, nanjin I think.
Im from Mauritius, I lived here for a while then moved to London for a few years and now back in Mauritius (: you from china or Just living there?
Original post by Eleska
Yes I did, on the 13th of December and didn't hear anything since. Hope its gonna be tomorrow

What were your predicted scores?
Original post by yogurtpot
Have you received the strongest applicant email? I applied for sociology too and still waiting.

Hey just wondering when did you apply? and what was the last e-mailed you received. Thanks!
Would like to wish everyone good luck today, in the unlikely event this is indeed an LSE Friday.

#finalleg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4056
Original post by sonali05
We visited around 10 places I think although I can't remember all :tongue: but we went to Beijing, xian, Guilin, nanjin I think.
Im from Mauritius, I lived here for a while then moved to London for a few years and now back in Mauritius (: you from china or Just living there?

Ah that's cool! You're the first person I know who's from Mauritius :smile: My favorite place in China is Xi an because of the terra-cotta warriors and etc. I live in China but am from Singapore; I've lived here for most of my life now.
Reply 4057
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/InformationforOfferHolders/LSEVisitDayPodcastsAndPresentations.aspx
Chek this page out if you're interested about LSE's teaching system. I found it very helpful.
Reply 4058
Good luck to everybody today!
Original post by benq
Good luck to everybody today!

Good luck to you too and all. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending