The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Any mature students had a offer or firming Durham as their choice ?

Anyone had a offer from Durham or firming it as their choice? Im planning to either read lit or ed/lit...be nice to see who is planning to join etc...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! i'm a mature student most likely firming Durham as my first choice in Sociology :smile: Big step though with family as I live 350 miles away currently. What about yourself?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Minnaloushe
Hello! i'm a mature student most likely firming Durham as my first choice in Sociology :smile: Big step though with family as I live 350 miles away currently. What about yourself?

Congrats on the offer :smile:)
Im doing an access to higher ed course, really happy with my offer..either ed/lit or lit.
I live in southwest england, so far away too and have a little girl and hubby, all moving up with me . 2014 promises alot it would seem. :smile:
Are you planning on doing social work/teaching? Hows ur course and what you doing? Durham your firm?
Reply 3
Thank you and Congrats to you also! :smile: I live in the south east how funny! I'm trying not to worry too much about making a decision just yet. I still need it to all sink in. Will you be going to the open day in march? I think i'll have a much better understanding of my options by then. I'm leaving my partner down south as he's also enrolled in a degree at Brighton... but will be coming back and forth during the holidays I would suspect. I'm planning on doing a PHD in terms of the future. I'd be a terrible social worker and would much rather tutor mature students. How are you finding your Access Course ? I'm doing mine on a humanities pathway
Reply 4
Original post by Minnaloushe
Thank you and Congrats to you also! :smile: I live in the south east how funny! I'm trying not to worry too much about making a decision just yet. I still need it to all sink in. Will you be going to the open day in march? I think i'll have a much better understanding of my options by then. I'm leaving my partner down south as he's also enrolled in a degree at Brighton... but will be coming back and forth during the holidays I would suspect. I'm planning on doing a PHD in terms of the future. I'd be a terrible social worker and would much rather tutor mature students. How are you finding your Access Course ? I'm doing mine on a humanities pathway

Hey

Yes I am going to the open day, either 24th or 25th, only problem is its hubbys bday on 25th. Yeh, I originally planned to do primary ed,but it has all changed now! It will ultimately depend on whether I decide to do lit or ed and lit. Course is alot of work especially with a family but im determined to make it work. Sometimes feels like I am walking on thin air tho! Ppl on the course make it too
Hi both of you, this seems like the south-coast mature student thread. Again I am going to Durham from Bournemouth, currently doing an Access course and I will be going to study Physics.
Reply 6
Original post by Indismissable_Me
Hi both of you, this seems like the south-coast mature student thread. Again I am going to Durham from Bournemouth, currently doing an Access course and I will be going to study Physics.

Congrats on the offer, all worth it in the end :smile:
Congratulations to both of you, it takes real guts to take such a life altering path at any age, but even more so for those with responsibilities.
Reply 8
Original post by Indismissable_Me
Congratulations to both of you, it takes real guts to take such a life altering path at any age, but even more so for those with responsibilities.

That is for sure! Wouldnt change it for anything tho :smile:
Reply 9
Hi! Congrats to all with offers! I am a mature student currently doing an access course. I have just had an offer for anthropology, which is very exciting. Also I am from the south of England, leaving everyone behind though =[
Reply 10
Original post by esiole7
Hi! Congrats to all with offers! I am a mature student currently doing an access course. I have just had an offer for anthropology, which is very exciting. Also I am from the south of England, leaving everyone behind though =[

You must be chuffed ! Not easy leaving everyone behind and everyday I seem to um and ahh, should I firm or not! A big big change and thought it was a long shot. Are you heading to the open day ?
Reply 11
Hi,

I am a mature student from Holland. I have just received an offer on Friday, for a master in Theology.
As a mature student used to his own (small) house, I am hoping to get a spacious room in college. I am doubting between St. John's and St. Chad's. I can't make up my mind. Which college are you attending to? Or do you go for private housing?
Reply 12
Hi everyone! I'm also a mature student and will be studying Accountancy and Finance and have been assigned to John Snow college. Anyone else going to the open day on 26th march?
Reply 13
Original post by lmkx
Hi everyone! I'm also a mature student and will be studying Accountancy and Finance and have been assigned to John Snow college. Anyone else going to the open day on 26th march?

HI

I am was assigned to st hilde and st bebe but will be living out. Im going to the open day on 26th..excited to see what its like..stuck between two uni's at the moment. Are you studying a course at the moment ? Im doing an access course :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by man2go
Hi,

I am a mature student from Holland. I have just received an offer on Friday, for a master in Theology.
As a mature student used to his own (small) house, I am hoping to get a spacious room in college. I am doubting between St. John's and St. Chad's. I can't make up my mind. Which college are you attending to? Or do you go for private housing?

Well done on the offer. I am living out as I have a family but still be part of the college system etc...I was assigned to st hilde and bebe...
Reply 15
Original post by kss2660
HI

I am was assigned to st hilde and st bebe but will be living out. Im going to the open day on 26th..excited to see what its like..stuck between two uni's at the moment. Are you studying a course at the moment ? Im doing an access course :smile:

No i work full time at the moment so will be doing the foundation course when i start Uni. Yeah me too, excited to see what i'm getting myself into lol Which Uni's are you stuck between? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by lmkx
No i work full time at the moment so will be doing the foundation course when i start Uni. Yeah me too, excited to see what i'm getting myself into lol Which Uni's are you stuck between? :smile:

Foundation course is great, really prepares you and gets you ready for uni. It will have it struggles but its worth it in the end. The changes you as an indivdual go through are incomprehensible. Im stuck between York, Durham and Exeter. Durham is ed/lit studies and others straight lit. York, is mostly coursework based, make life easier with a family but has some modules on translation and interpretation of foregin texts!! Scary. Are you moving or do u live locally??
Reply 17
I'll be moving there as i live about 2 and a half hours away. Its a huge change for me but i'm very excited and nervous about it! I think the foundation course will ease me into learning since i haven't been in college for many years. All of those Uni's have good reputations, how are you going to choose?
Reply 18
Original post by lmkx
I'll be moving there as i live about 2 and a half hours away. Its a huge change for me but i'm very excited and nervous about it! I think the foundation course will ease me into learning since i haven't been in college for many years. All of those Uni's have good reputations, how are you going to choose?

Thats definitely true, its good to start from the bare basics and build yourself up. As I had forgotten many skills like essay writing, punctuation etc... It's going to be hard, edging for Durham or York as my daughter has been given a bursary to one of the schools there,so will depend on the post application day at Durham. But in my heart,I feel like its Durham.
Reply 19
Original post by kss2660
Thats definitely true, its good to start from the bare basics and build yourself up. As I had forgotten many skills like essay writing, punctuation etc... It's going to be hard, edging for Durham or York as my daughter has been given a bursary to one of the schools there,so will depend on the post application day at Durham. But in my heart,I feel like its Durham.

Are you going to the open day by yourself or will someone be going with you? I think my brother will be taking me but not sure yet.
I felt the same about Durham when i picked the 5 choices, it was always going to be Durham :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending