The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

No Bruhl? No party.
Reply 9101
Original post by ProgFeanor
She was my personal favorite. Her performance was just gut-wrenchingly powerful, while Lawrence just kinda played a caricature.

I haven't seen American Hustle yet, but this was close to what I felt about her in Silver Linings Playbook (Emmanuelle Riva was robbed, I say :colonhash:).
All you need to know about how seriously to take the Oscars is summed up by the fact that Driving Miss Daisy won best picture in 1989 (beating My Left Foot, Dead Poets Society and many other fine films).

By the way... I know it's rather late, but...

Original post by aja89
My thoughts on Stoker for anyone who is interested!

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/stoker-what-the-hell/

Your review of Stoker is spot on! Over-dressed, over-wrought film with "symbolism" laid on with a trowel. Moody looks, weird camera angles. None of which adds up to a compelling film, I'm afraid. Way too arch and stylised for its own good. Mia Wasikowska is excellent, but she is unable to hold the film up on her own. Matthew Goode is just awful - so plastic looking and utterly two-dimensional.

2/5 is slightly over generous...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft
I haven't seen American Hustle yet, but this was close to what I felt about her in Silver Linings Playbook (Emmanuelle Riva was robbed, I say :colonhash:).

Hmmm, I really liked both Cooper and Lawrence in Playbook. Great performances and even better chemistry.
Reply 9104
Original post by danny111
Hmmm, I really liked both Cooper and Lawrence in Playbook. Great performances and even better chemistry.

I was pleasantly surprised by Cooper but in Lawrence, and in the film in general, I didn't really find much to make me sit up at all; I thought it (the film) was rather average and lacking any sort of depth. :dontknow: I haven't seen Lawrence do anything better than her debut in Winter's Bone, where I did like her a lot.
Reply 9105
Haven't seen her debut yet but tbph I think her personality (whether a product of manufacturing or not), means that people will see her as a much better performer than she is. Especially from women with the 'I don't care about being skinny, I'll eat a hamburger' spiel that gets lapped up.

I quite like her interviews etc and she is incredibly 'giffable' with her random looks etc :mmm:

One of the most baffling aspects of her catalogue is the praise she gets for The Hunger Games. It's an ok film that she is ok in. But her performance is essentially one note, look angry/stoic :yawn:

-------

On a different note caught This is 40 yesterday. Both good and bad in the same film, Paul Rudd just being Paul Rudd :dontknow:

Watched Cloud Atlas over Christmas. **** me was that film bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't seen Lawrence do anything better than her debut in Winter's Bone, where I did like her a lot.

I agree with you 100%

Everything she's done since then has been less good. Not bad, exactly, just not up to the high mark set by Winter's Bone.
Surprised Tom Hanks didn't get a nomination for Captain Phillips.
Original post by Stylo92
Surprised Tom Hanks didn't get a nomination for Captain Phillips.

Me too. Hanks was bloody brilliant in Captain Phillips.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Me too. Hanks was bloody brilliant in Captain Phillips.

What?! Are you serious? This was by far the finest performance of 2013! How could they possibly overlook him!
Reply 9110
Can't wait to watch The Monuments Men this year.

Original post by Plato's Trousers
What?! Are you serious? This was by far the finest performance of 2013! How could they possibly overlook him!

?

I didn't disagree :redface: It was the best performance I'd seen from any actor in the big-screen in 2013. But then again, I wouldn't take the Oscars too seriously. It's far too and hollywoodized; the award is only passed around 0.5% of working actors/producers/directors etc. anyway - hardly a fair assessment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Saw American Hustle yesterday. Funny in how completely ridiculous it was. The whole film is about plastic and hairspray and beige nothing is actually real, everyone's conning everyone else, and things go wrong when the characters let their actual feelings slip past their facades. Quite long, and actually a somewhat weak storyline, though. Lacked the punchy creativity of the British TV series (which I don't actually like that much). But some fantastic performances (Lawrence and Adams especially), and a combination of Argo-esque period authenticity and insane characters and plots kept it very enjoyable.

8/10 (not a patch on Gravity)
Original post by Iamyourfather
?

I didn't disagree :redface: It was the best performance I'd seen from any actor in the big-screen in 2013. But then again, I wouldn't take the Oscars too seriously. It's far too and hollywoodized; the award is only passed around 0.5% of working actors/producers/directors etc. anyway - hardly a fair assessment.

Sorry. Quoted the wrong person :getmecoat:

My "are you serious" was rhetorical outrage...

And agree about the Oscars as being highly compromised. Don't know why I even care about them. Perhaps because the rest of the world tends to take them seriously.. :dontknow:
Reply 9114
I watched Inception recently and I really liked it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any similar films. I've heard that The Prestige, (also directed by Christopher Nolan) is supposed to be really good too, but I haven't gotten round to watching it yet. I'm just wondering if there are any others worth watching.
Man of Steel

This was straight up, no gimmicky play to the crowd bull****. I loved it. 9/10

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 9116
Original post by Inclaris
I watched Inception recently and I really liked it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any similar films. I've heard that The Prestige, (also directed by Christopher Nolan) is supposed to be really good too, but I haven't gotten round to watching it yet. I'm just wondering if there are any others worth watching.

Check out Moon and Memento if you haven't seen them already. If you're interested in something on the artsier side of things, check out Blow-Up. It's like Inception but a lot better. :awesome:
Check out Moon and Memento if you haven't seen them already. If you're interested in something on the artsier side of things, check out Blow-Up. It's like Inception but a lot better. :awesome:

I second this - great choices :yep:
Don't take the Oscars too seriously, due to the fact they have only nominated Gary Oldman once.
I just saw 12 Years A Slave. I'm not going to say I enjoyed it because it's not the kind of film you enjoy really, but I certainly thought it was very good; well made and acted, and not manipulative, which it could easily have been. I reckon I need to go to the cinema more often, I only saw 7 or 8 films in the theatre last year. I'm aiming for 2 a month.

Quick Reply

Latest