The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Original post by Steveluis10
I'm sorry to hear that Shelly, I'm sure something else will come around.

I've had time to reflect on yesterday's horror show and after meeting with the PLC who observed me he gave me great feedback and said because my observed focus was differentiation that's why he would have given me a 3 or 4. He said if it had been something like learning environment or engagement then he would have gone higher. This made me feel so much better and allowed me to see exactly what I need to do to improve.

Spent the last 2 hours planning my lesson for my tutor coming in on Tuesday - it looks good and I'm happy with it but worried I won't get it all done in time. Going to show it to the teachers i think highly of on Monday and see what they think. I'm just so desperate for it to go well!

I was gonna say the focus sends to be the "issue". It seems like you're doing really well at your current personal area for development, engagement/behaviour management :smile: so take that positive away.

Does your next observation have a focus too?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shelly_x
I didn't get the job... They said it was a good interview and i was very passionate and confident but i didn't mention teaching and learning enough. May be slightly awkward when i go back there in march now...

Bad luck. But don't worry too much. You can take so much from it plus you've got rid of the first interview nerves. I think most of us will be having to go for a few interviews before we secure a post for September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I was gonna say the focus sends to be the "issue". It seems like you're doing really well at your current personal area for development, engagement/behaviour management :smile: so take that positive away.

Does your next observation have a focus too?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my mentor said to keep it as differentiation so I've ensured that my lesson has a lot of different challenge for Tuesday with options for weaker and stronger pupils. Going to incorporate it into my questioning as well.
Original post by qwerty_mad
Why? What's up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm stressed and upset and there is no one I feel I can talk to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01
I'm stressed and upset and there is no one I feel I can talk to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything in particular stressing and upsetting you? You can always talk to us lot.

Just blurt it all out - sometimes all you need to do is get it out to feel better.
Reply 2825
I can relate to a few of you. Plus I really don't want to go in on Monday. Was scrutinised by mentor and tutor in one meeting after an observation of worked hard on. I was nearly given serious concern but I explained my side of things as best I could without losing my temper so I'm not getting serious concern but they're observing me again next week. I just don't want to work there anymore I hate it. Was put in a really uncomfortable position by my tutor with another student. I'm being picked on and picked at. Hate hate hate it. How I've made it through these last few weeks I don't know because I was dreading it over Christmas holidays, and life outside of work has been stressful enough.
Original post by CTVicky
I can relate to a few of you. Plus I really don't want to go in on Monday. Was scrutinised by mentor and tutor in one meeting after an observation of worked hard on. I was nearly given serious concern but I explained my side of things as best I could without losing my temper so I'm not getting serious concern but they're observing me again next week. I just don't want to work there anymore I hate it. Was put in a really uncomfortable position by my tutor with another student. I'm being picked on and picked at. Hate hate hate it. How I've made it through these last few weeks I don't know because I was dreading it over Christmas holidays, and life outside of work has been stressful enough.

:cconsole: That sounds awful. Message me if you need talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CTVicky

Sounds exactly like where I was during my final placement. Just do enough to tide you over and get you through the placement. The school you end up working in will not care what grades you got on placement, they just want to know you've got QTS :smile:
Original post by CTVicky

I've been in a similar situation. I hope you can make it through!
I'm dreading going in tomorrow and Tuesday as well. Tomorrow taking a class with a teacher who is a bit arrogant and he will be scrutinising me I'm sure.

Tuesday my tutor is coming in to observe me. Every time I think about it I feel sick. Getting the 3 last week has made me really nervous and although I'm confident in my lesson plan this time I just feel like I won't have enough time (45 minutes) to get through it all and wrap it all up nicely, especially since it's in the afternoon and the kids are likely to be more wild and there's no time to get organised beforehand as my mentor is teaching in the classroom directly before I do.

My mentor isn't giving me any support with it either, she hasn't asked what I plan on doing, hasn't given me any tips or said not to worry etc. I feel like I'm all alone and if it goes wrong I'm going to get torn apart like last week.

I just can't wait for it to be over and then I'll only have just over 15 days left of the placement.
I have to take a KS2 assembly on Tuesday. Pant-wettingly nervous. Not even convinced I can talk loudly enough for them all to hear me!
Reply 2831
I'm dreading going in tomorrow and Tuesday as well. Tomorrow taking a class with a teacher who is a bit arrogant and he will be scrutinising me I'm sure.

Tuesday my tutor is coming in to observe me. Every time I think about it I feel sick. Getting the 3 last week has made me really nervous and although I'm confident in my lesson plan this time I just feel like I won't have enough time (45 minutes) to get through it all and wrap it all up nicely, especially since it's in the afternoon and the kids are likely to be more wild and there's no time to get organised beforehand as my mentor is teaching in the classroom directly before I do.

My mentor isn't giving me any support with it either, she hasn't asked what I plan on doing, hasn't given me any tips or said not to worry etc. I feel like I'm all alone and if it goes wrong I'm going to get torn apart like last week.

I just can't wait for it to be over and then I'll only have just over 15 days left of the placement.

For a start, remember that differentiation is the focus. If you are confident in that you should be fine!

However, if you are still worried about the timing then why not cut down the plan. You could always note extra parts in the plan for if you have extra time, but then if you don't use it you've still followed the plan. Also remember it's ok to change plans during a lesson with good reason! Just keep the learning objective in mind, make sure you're hitting it and if you are then adapt where needed.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
For a start, remember that differentiation is the focus. If you are confident in that you should be fine!

However, if you are still worried about the timing then why not cut down the plan. You could always note extra parts in the plan for if you have extra time, but then if you don't use it you've still followed the plan. Also remember it's ok to change plans during a lesson with good reason! Just keep the learning objective in mind, make sure you're hitting it and if you are then adapt where needed.

xxx

I have differentiated questioning and differentiation in the main task where I have put a star by the more challenging question out of 3 questions.

I'm wondering whether to scrap the starter which is just a visual starter (write words that describe 3 pictures up on the board) as it doesn't really hit the learning objective but would settle them in nicely to the lesson.

I'm going to get advice from a couple of colleagues tomorrow who I trust and value their opinions.

The main things that worry me are 1) maintaining control in an afternoon lesson where pupils are likely to be lively 2) having time to prove the progress during the lesson 3) being organised as I'll have about 50 sheets of paper to hand out if not more!

I have the same class tomorrow which isn't officially observed - do you think it's a good idea at the end of the lesson to tell them that there will be another teacher in the room tomorrow and that I expect everyone to work hard and show off why you are in a top set?
Reply 2833
I have differentiated questioning and differentiation in the main task where I have put a star by the more challenging question out of 3 questions.

I'm wondering whether to scrap the starter which is just a visual starter (write words that describe 3 pictures up on the board) as it doesn't really hit the learning objective but would settle them in nicely to the lesson.

I'm going to get advice from a couple of colleagues tomorrow who I trust and value their opinions.

The main things that worry me are 1) maintaining control in an afternoon lesson where pupils are likely to be lively 2) having time to prove the progress during the lesson 3) being organised as I'll have about 50 sheets of paper to hand out if not more!

I have the same class tomorrow which isn't officially observed - do you think it's a good idea at the end of the lesson to tell them that there will be another teacher in the room tomorrow and that I expect everyone to work hard and show off why you are in a top set?

Advice from colleagues sounds great. I'd see what they say and go from there :smile: A starter that settles them is nice, especially if they are the kind of class that really needs settling!

Hmmm... I don't know about that one. It really does depend on the class and you know them better (although it is hard as a student as you don't know them as well!). Sometimes pupils really do pull out all the stops when their teachers really need it (e.g. OfSTED!) but it depends... if they are just easily distracted and hyper this might be the case, also if they are proud of their achievements, but if they have genuinely poor attitudes and dislike teachers etc it could prompt them to be worse. If I did mention something I'd go for a 'You're good' perspective certainly, something like 'I'm proud of your progress and I want everyone else to see that' thing, but I am very very far from a year 8 expert, so maybe someone else on here can advise a bit more!!

xxx
Not looking forward to going back tomorrow

Don't scrap the starter if it is going to settle them - especially if they are rowdy usually!
Well I've spent literally all day preparing lessons for tomorrow, so many resources! I've also had to go to work and come back so that was fun. And tomorrow is going to be spend writing my 2500 word essay. They seriously plan the deadlines for the worst times on my course.
But, I love the school and the kids. So its not all bad :smile:
Can't think of anything worse than being in school today
I did have a word with them at the end and said a teacher from another school is going to be in the lesson so I expect everyone to listen to instructions and to each other and everyone to show off why you're in a top set.

They were pretty good for me today - there's about 2 or 3 pupils I'm worried about as their mood can change every lesson but I'm hoping they pull it out for me tomorrow.

Had a chat with a few teachers in my department and they advised to cut out a lot of my lesson as it's a 45 minute lesson but probably only 40 minutes after they all come in and settle. I have a task for them to get on with as soon as they enter the room then feedback, a bit of questioning, a short writing task, more feedback and a longer writing task then a plenary with a few mini plenaries in between. If I'm really strict on timing I should be able to get it all done, prove differentiation and progress.

Just going to give it my best shot, be strict with behaviour and hope that the poem engages the pupils enough for them to get on sensibly with the work set.

Can't wait for it to be over - I'll be nervous tomorrow no doubt but going to hope the adrenalin pulls me through it!
Reply 2839
I did have a word with them at the end and said a teacher from another school is going to be in the lesson so I expect everyone to listen to instructions and to each other and everyone to show off why you're in a top set.

They were pretty good for me today - there's about 2 or 3 pupils I'm worried about as their mood can change every lesson but I'm hoping they pull it out for me tomorrow.

Had a chat with a few teachers in my department and they advised to cut out a lot of my lesson as it's a 45 minute lesson but probably only 40 minutes after they all come in and settle. I have a task for them to get on with as soon as they enter the room then feedback, a bit of questioning, a short writing task, more feedback and a longer writing task then a plenary with a few mini plenaries in between. If I'm really strict on timing I should be able to get it all done, prove differentiation and progress.

Just going to give it my best shot, be strict with behaviour and hope that the poem engages the pupils enough for them to get on sensibly with the work set.

Can't wait for it to be over - I'll be nervous tomorrow no doubt but going to hope the adrenalin pulls me through it!

Good luck, and remember, you're learning :smile: It sounds good and the cutting out (while keeping the 'starter'/work to come in part) sounds good.

xx

Quick Reply

Latest