The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. That age gap isn't an issue at all. 22 is hardly old.
4 years is an issue?... Are you being serious?
Reply 3
That's nothing.
I once dated someone 6 years older than me and age was never an issue with anybody. What makes you think 4 years would?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's fine - as long as your parents aren't over protective! Also you are an adult now and can reach your own conclusions. It also fits the oft quoted rule of (your age - 7) x 2 = maximum age of person to date. This rule is a good guide to avoid anything too creepy.
Age 18 and 22 dating sounds completely fine to me! I don't see why your mum or anyone else should have a big problem with it, since you're both young adults. Plus, most teenage guys are ridiculously immature anyway, so you have a bit of an advantage by dating someone who's a bit older.
Original post by Zarek
It's fine - as long as your parents aren't over protective! Also you are an adult now and can reach your own conclusions. It also fits the oft quoted rule of (your age - 7) x 2 = maximum age of person to date. This rule is a good guide to avoid anything too creepy.

Who came up with this rule? :lol:
When I was 19 I dated a 30-year-old. My mum and brother weren't happy about it and I didn't dare tell my dad, haha.

Anyway, four years isn't a big age gap, especially at the ages you are now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by euphrosyne
Who came up with this rule? :lol:

Who knows, some protective, but pragmatic, father maybe. Perhaps he was a maths teacher too. Makes sense though, check it out for a few ages...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zarek
Who knows, some protective, but pragmatic, father maybe. Perhaps he was a maths teacher too. Makes sense though, check it out for a few ages...

It seems sensible for young ages (late teens-20s), but I don't know, if I was a 30 year old looking to get married, the maximum I'd marry would be like 40, maybe even less. Definitely not 46 though.
Oh psh, that's barely anything.

My parents have 3 and a half years between them, it's hardly noticeable at all.

I have 8 and a half years between my boyfriend and I, my parents didn't care.
I don't think that's fine personally.

My sister is 18 and I'm 22 and the difference in maturity is significant when I meet her friends and see them as a group. I can really tell how young they are. Maybe it's precisely because I have an 18 year-old sister, but I would never date a teenager at my age. At 18 in particular, you are choosing universities to go to and what career path to go down - it's a completely different world from being a graduate in a career.
Original post by Musie Suzie
When I was 19 I dated a 30-year-old. My mum and brother weren't happy about it and I didn't dare tell my dad, haha.

Let me guess, it didn't work out?
Original post by maskofsanity
I don't think that's fine personally.

My sister is 18 and I'm 22 and the difference in maturity is significant when I meet her friends and see them as a group. I can really tell how young they are. Maybe it's precisely because I have an 18 year-old sister, but I would never date a teenager at my age. At 18 in particular, you are choosing universities to go to and what career path to go down - it's a completely different world from being a graduate in a career.

agreed...my sister is about to turn 18 and i'm 22 and I look at her partner who is 18 and the thought just makes me cringe he is SO immature (even though they're both quiet mature for their age)

I think what makes an age difference okay when you are younger is more what life stage you are at, so an 18 and 22 year old who are both students wouldn't be weird for me but if the 18 year old is in college and the 22 year old is working that isn't okay because the maturity levels are so different and what I always think is what on earth is in it for him? as a 22 year old earning money who can do anything he wants to be tied down to a less mature 18 y/o
Original post by doodle_333
agreed...my sister is about to turn 18 and i'm 22 and I look at her partner who is 18 and the thought just makes me cringe he is SO immature (even though they're both quiet mature for their age)

I think what makes an age difference okay when you are younger is more what life stage you are at, so an 18 and 22 year old who are both students wouldn't be weird for me but if the 18 year old is in college and the 22 year old is working that isn't okay because the maturity levels are so different and what I always think is what on earth is in it for him? as a 22 year old earning money who can do anything he wants to be tied down to a less mature 18 y/o

When I look at 18 year-olds now they just seem like kids.

I agree to a certain extent, though I still think two students, one 18 and one 22, will still not last. 18 year-olds are still teenagers and they are worlds apart from a 22 year-old in most cases, even if they're both students. If this was a 22 year-old and 26 year-old, for example, it would be much more realistic because like you said they are more likely to be in the same stage of life, but also because the amount you mature/develop from 18 to 22 is far more significant than 22 to 26.
I'm 22 (nearly 23), and to be honest 18-year-olds just seem like children to me.

However, if the two of you are at a similar level of maturity then I can't see the problem. My partner and I are 3 years apart and it's never been an issue for us.
Reply 16
Reply 17
Original post by euphrosyne
It seems sensible for young ages (late teens-20s), but I don't know, if I was a 30 year old looking to get married, the maximum I'd marry would be like 40, maybe even less. Definitely not 46 though.

Perhaps you're right. But at least if this did happen people would be congratulating your husband rather than laughing at him. I think the rule probably takes more of a male perspective when you are older.
(edited 10 years ago)
Age is as much of an issue as you make it. When I was 20, I dated a 37 year old. That was fun. I didn't tell my parents about her but that was because I had no intention of staying with her for too long :p:
Reply 19
It all depends on where you are at in your life and not the actually age gap I think. I was 23 and my ex was 19 when we dated. At first it was great but then it became pretty clear that we were heading in different directions. I wanted to save and go traveling and then buy a house, she was going to uni and was in full party mode. It didnt work out.

Latest

Trending

Trending