The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3660
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Congratulations! Is it your first choice?

Yeah it is :tongue: i have 11.1k from over 12 months and by April I should have 13k :smile:

At supermarkets, I shop for people who have done their shopping online so I go around the supermarket picking items and putting and packing them :biggrin: very boring which is why I want to leave soon.

What unis/offers have you applied to, I see you on tsr a lot but don't actually know.
Wow, saving 11k for a year, wouldn't that be most of your wages, so you don't actually spend much of it?
Online shopper weirdly sounds fun for some reason. I'm going to be applying to retail and some HCA to save up a bit. Always so hard with online job applications though.
Original post by Chi-
What unis/offers have you applied to, I see you on tsr a lot but don't actually know.
Wow, saving 11k for a year, wouldn't that be most of your wages, so you don't actually spend much of it?
Online shopper weirdly sounds fun for some reason. I'm going to be applying to retail and some HCA to save up a bit. Always so hard with online job applications though.

Haha I post a lot coz I don't work full time anymore :tongue: love part time, have a lot of time to myself :biggrin:
I applied to Manchester and exeter(rejections) and east anglia and kings(interviews)
What about you? :smile:

Yeah I don't spend a lot, mostly save coz my sister is also going uni this year so it's gonna be quite expensive for mum and dad :redface:

Online shopper was fun at first but 3 months into it , it's just repetitive and I don't like that :colondollar:
Good luck with the job applications, when I leave this job in April, I might try my luck for a 3rd time and get another job :lol:
Do you guys think 13k saved up will be enough to live comfortably at uni for a 6 year course?

Depends how much loan you get, if your parents contribute and how much your accommodation costs, really.
Reply 3663
Haha I post a lot coz I don't work full time anymore :tongue: love part time, have a lot of time to myself :biggrin:
I applied to Manchester and exeter(rejections) and east anglia and kings(interviews)

Yeah I don't spend a lot, mostly save coz my sister is also going uni this year so it's gonna be quite expensive for mum and dad :redface:

Online shopper was fun at first but 3 months into it , it's just repetitive and I don't like that :colondollar:
Good luck with the job applications, when I leave this job in April, I might try my luck for a 3rd time and get another job :lol:

Wow! You've saved up so much! I've worked part time for about a year whilst I was doing my a levels and because it was just part time - haven't really been able to save up much once I've deducted expenses, phone bills etc. I'm desperately trying to get a full time job now to save money for uni - I've applied to so many HCA jobs at my local hospital but I'm hearing nothing back :/ I feel really stupid now because if I go to uni in September I don't have that long to actually save...:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3664
Original post by PG593
Ah, it's not the end of the world, you have to focus on what you've got in this cycle, the good things. :smile: Sign language wow, always wanted to try that. I saw a heated argument once in sign language, it was quite entertaining but it looked so complicated…(god knows what they were saying). I think most people on gap years in this cycle are pretty bored, extremely nervous or even depressed given friends at uni, slaving away at their jobs etc. though I'm sure some are off travelling far away. Wish I could do the same but when you're waiting, I can't really enjoy myself if you know what I mean, holidays should be stress free and I probably wouldn't have much fun travelling at the moment with medicine on my mind. Anyways, I'm working at an architect firm in central London at the moment, I love drawing and being there I've had the chance to do a lot of technical drawing for new buildings across the capital. You would not believe how many residential streets are being knocked down for commercial offices. Got my grade 8 piano exam in a few weeks, it's perhaps one of the few things that keeps my mind off medicine by practising, though it's mid January so I know it's not a long way to go until judgement day :eek: I'm sure you'll hear from your choices v soon!

Haha - I am really enjoying the sign language course, I'm quite lucky to have a really lovely class and a teacher who's so passionate about it. Glad I went for it! I know what you mean though - when you're friends are at uni it can get quite lonely - you go from a year seeing them all the time to hardly seeing them...:/ in terms of travelling; firstly it's quite expensive and secondly I would be WAAAY too scared that I'd get invited to interview whilst I was away lol.

Working for an architect firm WOWZAA! That is so cool! I'm sure that's keeping you busy - and you'll get paid! Do you live in London then or commute there for work then? (Don't worry if you don't feel comfortable answering btw!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a sick job! Would choose that over HCA anyday. 13k iver 6 years is abit over £50 a week. If your accomadation is covered by your loan. I would say thats still a tightish student budget but you won't be poor. Thats assuming your not getting any help from parents?
Original post by Richyp22
Sounds like a sick job! Would choose that over HCA anyday. 13k iver 6 years is abit over £50 a week. If your accomadation is covered by your loan. I would say thats still a tightish student budget but you won't be poor. Thats assuming your not getting any help from parents?

Haha i think so too! That's why I left my HCA job :ninja:

Alright cool :biggrin: tbh i don't expect parents to help me financially after first term :redface:
Reply 3667
Original post by ameelia22
I think you're actually the coolest person I know

Aww you're pretty awesome too :biggrin:, makes me wish I sort of applied to Sheffield haha then we could storm/terrorise the grounds in our Fiesta and Micra rapping Drake's 'hell yeah ****ing right' :colone: Hope the rest of your choices end up like Manchester!

Original post by Chi-
Still its almost unheard of haha.
Aw cool, I can speak hakka not sure if it has similarities to hokkien, I think it does, coz a lot of Malaysians can speak hakka too.
Oh how did you interviews go?

Oh hakka :smile:, yeah a few in the village speak it but it's quite rare. Some words are similar and my uncle told me they're both sub groups of the Han Chinese people so there are small similarities but I think over time there's so much slang now in Hokkien it's almost its own language haha :wink: So far I felt they've gone well, got one on Tuesday so I really shouldn't be on here :tongue: How's the rest of your application going? Not long till we both hear from Glasgow :eek:

Original post by picnmix

Haha - I am really enjoying the sign language course, I'm quite lucky to have a really lovely class and a teacher who's so passionate about it. Glad I went for it! I know what you mean though - when you're friends are at uni it can get quite lonely - you go from a year seeing them all the time to hardly seeing them...:/ in terms of travelling; firstly it's quite expensive and secondly I would be WAAAY too scared that I'd get invited to interview whilst I was away lol.

Working for an architect firm WOWZAA! That is so cool! I'm sure that's keeping you busy - and you'll get paid! Do you live in London then or commute there for work then? (Don't worry if you don't feel comfortable answering btw!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They sounds really interesting and fun, do they teach you how to swear in sign language or does everyone just use the middle finger haha? :tongue: It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that way, but at the same time I feel all us gappers (gap year people) have really matured from having that year away and if anything, it will make you cherish your degree…well career I should say cause that's what we're really applying for, and your time at university. :redface: Haha imagine if you touched down in Brazil or somewhere tropical and then got an interview invite next week. I swear, I would row my way across the Atlantic for that interview if I had too :cool: Yes, it's a demanding job because all these poor architects they have to study as long as medicine some of them and they come out unemployed - I feel so sorry for them, many architects start out as runners getting teas and coffees etc. learning about the way the firm works before they even get a chance at a job. After 5 years of study, man I would be raging. Respect to them though, they love their job.

I was born in Cyprus but my family started moving piece by piece after the Turkish invasion in 1974 (or 1972 can't remember which hehe) so I moved to London when I was 3 and become your run of the mill cheeky a-ss Londoner but I'm a terrible Londoner, all my life here I've never been to the Tower of London, the Dungeons or Madam Tussaud…but I do know all the restaurants haha, so if you ever need a recommendation of cuisine in Central London, I'm your guy :wink: Whereabouts are you from?

Do you guys think 13k saved up will be enough to live comfortably at uni for a 6 year course?

Whoa, I hope you're not hiding it under your rug (otherwise I'll be paying a visit to your house :tongue:). That should be enough plus with your maintenance loan, dunno if you're a BIG spender but it leaves you enough to have fun yet feel secure. Who knows maybe in the summer, keep working and build that little goldmine into a treasury :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PG593
Aww you're pretty awesome too :biggrin:, makes me wish I sort of applied to Sheffield haha then we could storm/terrorise the grounds in our Fiesta and Micra rapping Drake's 'hell yeah ****ing right' :colone: Hope the rest of your choices end up like Manchester!

I am literally Queen Beg of the Year right now but we SO should have gone to the same places :frown: Me and you, zooming around in our little cars, Drake banging along - good lord, I think I'm getting all excited just thinking about it. Knowing me, I'd be driving aorund, with my shades on, and then BANG. Stalled. Re-starts car after flicking hair. Stalls again. Now it's just awkward for me.
We'll passed my Driving test so at least something good this week :tongue:
Original post by PG593

Whoa, I hope you're not hiding it under your rug (otherwise I'll be paying a visit to your house :tongue:). That should be enough plus with your maintenance loan, dunno if you're a BIG spender but it leaves you enough to have fun yet feel secure. Who knows maybe in the summer, keep working and build that little goldmine into a treasury :wink:

Haha that's great! I still have my HCA job throughout uni incase I want to book any bank shifts!

Nah this summer, it's for World Cup and chilling :u:
Original post by raveen789

Nice one, well done :smile: hope you get the same success in your applications

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3672

congrats :biggrin:
Reply 3673
On my night shift, looking for a good movie to watch. I love my job. There is absolutely no work to do! lol

How is everyone's applications and work coming along?
I see there are a lot of us starting to drive! Feeling left out. Need to book my theory test! Reminds me of the dreaded UKCAT though :eek:

Congrats :biggrin:

Was it your first test?
Original post by Dr.Ugs
On my night shift, looking for a good movie to watch. I love my job. There is absolutely no work to do! lol

How is everyone's applications and work coming along?
I see there are a lot of us starting to drive! Feeling left out. Need to book my theory test! Reminds me of the dreaded UKCAT though :eek:

Are you working as a HCA?
Reply 3676
Original post by minhle20
Are you working as a HCA?

Nope, I work as an MLA in a lab :smile:

And yourself?
Original post by robrob9595
Nice one, well done :smile: hope you get the same success in your applications

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks rob! Hope the applications go well for you too :biggrin:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
congrats :biggrin: