The Student Room Group

Why is Jewish culture so awesome?

I mean, I'm an atheist, but I love the culture of Judaism. Simply amazing music, cool language, sense of humour, lots of good looking Jews, intelligent... They seem like quite a decent bunch :smile:

Einstein, Stephen Fry, Sacha Baron-Cohen, Simon Baron-Cohen, Robert Oppenheimer... just a few awesome people there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINOidSV8Mc

And how is this for music? :eek:

Anyway, just thought I'd spread the love.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I see everybody's too busy bashing Islam to come here. Their loss!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtIl3dqDbM&list=RDeINOidSV8Mc
Original post by StarvingAutist
... Stephen Fry...

Stephen Fry's atheist, sorry bro.
Original post by 4oursword

Yes, you can be Jewish and atheist...

Edit: Wow, I can't believe the above comment got so many thumbs up. Stephen Fry is Jewish and an atheist! Shock horror!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I think you ought to distinguish between "judaism" and "jewish ethnicity" because there's obviously a fine line between those two. besides, it's fairly well known that einstein, higgs, oppenheimer and fry are/were atheists. also, as christians existed in england for over a thousand years, how are they not their own "ethnicity" by now? stephen hawking, richard dawkins, darwin, etc are "ethnically christian", but so what? they aren't "christians" and thus "christianity is awesome" would be a very misleading statement in this sense
From what I've seen it's rather different to, but nearly as bad, as the two later Abrahamic faiths it birthed.

I do like about it however that once you die, perhaps slaughtered by Moses and the Children and Israel on their trip to the promised land (who knew God dealt in real estate), at least then God leaves you alone. Only with the advent of the Son of Man do we get the concept of Hell and it's eternal torture.
Reply 6
I mean, I'm an atheist, but I love the culture of Judaism. Simply amazing music, cool language, sense of humour, lots of good looking Jews, intelligent... They seem like quite a decent bunch :smile:

Einstein, Stephen Fry, Sacha Baron-Cohen, Simon Baron-Cohen, Robert Oppenheimer... just a few awesome people there.

You can like all of those things you mentioned with actually liking the religion,
You should watch strictly hamish
Original post by Monkey.Man
I think you ought to distinguish between "judaism" and "jewish ethnicity" because there's obviously a fine line between those two. besides, it's fairly well known that einstein, higgs, oppenheimer and fry are/were atheists. also, as christians existed in england for over a thousand years, how are they not their own "ethnicity" by now? stephen hawking, richard dawkins, darwin, etc are "ethnically christian", but so what? they aren't "christians" and thus "christianity is awesome" would be a very misleading statement in this sense

True, I guess the music is the main thing I like. Basically I was referring to the culture rather than the religion.

Original post by The Angry Stoic
From what I've seen it's rather different to, but nearly as bad, as the two later Abrahamic faiths it birthed.

I do like about it however that once you die, perhaps slaughtered by Moses and the Children and Israel on their trip to the promised land (who knew God dealt in real estate), at least then God leaves you alone. Only with the advent of the Son of Man do we get the concept of Hell and it's eternal torture.

I wasn't so much on about the actual relgion as the culture, sorry. All religions are equally awful but the culture they foster is different for each.

Original post by -aTOMic-
You can like all of those things you mentioned with actually liking the religion,

Sure. Misleading thread title. Culture > religion.
Original post by chocolatesauce
You should watch strictly hamish

What's that?
What's that?

It's a documentary on a particular group of religious people, I think they are Jewish...
Reply 11

Very few of the famous and successful Jews around the world actually follow the religion Judaism.
Original post by 4oursword

Really don't see where he got that one from.

Einstein was a Jew by race, and he was born into the Jewish faith, but he was not an adherent of Judaism beyond his childhood. He referred to himself as a 'religious nonbeliever' and believed in the impersonal god of Spinoza as opposed to a conscious, omnipotent (read: bearded white male) power, a belief he criticized as "childlike" and "naive".
Original post by Ravenous
Very few of the famous and successful Jews around the world actually follow the religion Judaism.

Original post by UnfriendlyTurtle
Really don't see where he got that one from.

Einstein was a Jew by race, and he was born into the Jewish faith, but he was not an adherent of Judaism beyond his childhood. He referred to himself as a 'religious nonbeliever' and believed in the impersonal god of Spinoza as opposed to a conscious, omnipotent (read: bearded white male) power, a belief he criticized as "childlike" and "naive".

I'm not actually on about the religion. More the cultural aspects. And yes, Stephen Fry is Jewish by his family, even though he is an atheist.
I'm not actually on about the religion. More the cultural aspects. And yes, Stephen Fry is Jewish by his family, even though he is an atheist.

Your title refers to 'Judaism', not 'Jewish culture'. Judaism is an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion and as a term does not relate to Jewish ethnicity. Your post also describes you as an atheist, which wouldn't be relevant if you were solely addressing Jewish ethnicity.
Original post by UnfriendlyTurtle
Your title refers to 'Judaism', not 'Jewish culture'. Judaism is an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion and as a term does not relate to Jewish ethnicity. Your post also describes you as an atheist, which wouldn't be relevant if you were solely addressing Jewish ethnicity.

Guh. I suppose I was just hoping people wouldn't be pedantic :mad:
Reply 16
Guh. I suppose I was just hoping people wouldn't be pedantic :mad:

Just edit the title to "Jewish culture"
Original post by Ravenous
Just edit the title to "Jewish culture"

Done. One herp-derp point to me! :biggrin:
I absolutely love the Hava Nagila song :tongue:

But on a more serious note, I do find Judaism very interesting. The TaNaKh has some of my favourite stories and Judaism has loads of celebrations with interesting rituals and history. And on top of that, I do also find Jewish culture and their historical achievements fascinating.
Reply 19
They share a Jewish ethnic background, but what cultural traits do they share that make Jewish culture awesome?

I'm confused OP.

Quick Reply

Latest