The Student Room Group

UNIQ/Sutton Trust/Nuffield? Bit of a crisis!

As a student wanting to go into Physical Natural Sciences/Engineering, I'm obviously trying to built up my extra-curricular portfolio for the whole UCAS tarrah next year as well as for my own enjoyment. However, I'm not sure what to apply for.

I've already applied for Headstart, but this isn't an issue as the Headstart courses are in June and don't cause any clashes. The issue is with the Nuffield Research Placement, UNIQ and the Sutton Trust summer schools.

I desperately want to do a Nuffield Research Placement and I think I've got a good chance of getting in because of my grades. However, the UNIQ course I want to do most of all (Earth Science) is in the middle of August, so I wouldn't be able to do that as well as the Nuffield Research Placement. On the other hand, I could apply for it and then accept the offer if I don't get an offer for the Nuffield Research Placement, but that's obviously not very fair for the other students applying. I could also apply for UNIQ Engineering, which wouldn't cause a clash.

I can also apply for Cambridge's Sutton Trust Engineering summer school.

There are two real issues here and opinions would be gratefully appreciated:

Is doing the Nuffield Research Placement, Sutton Trust Summer School, Headstart and UNIQ (the latter three all on engineering) a complete overkill?

Should I apply for Earth Sciences at UNIQ just in case I don't get the Nuffield Research Placement?

Sorry if this is so confusing, I'm not entirely sure I understand it myself! Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Chlorophile
As a student wanting to go into Physical Natural Sciences/Engineering, I'm obviously trying to built up my extra-curricular portfolio for the whole UCAS tarrah next year as well as for my own enjoyment. However, I'm not sure what to apply for.

I've already applied for Headstart, but this isn't an issue as the Headstart courses are in June and don't cause any clashes. The issue is with the Nuffield Research Placement, UNIQ and the Sutton Trust summer schools.

I desperately want to do a Nuffield Research Placement and I think I've got a good chance of getting in because of my grades. However, the UNIQ course I want to do most of all (Earth Science) is in the middle of August, so I wouldn't be able to do that as well as the Nuffield Research Placement. On the other hand, I could apply for it and then accept the offer if I don't get an offer for the Nuffield Research Placement, but that's obviously not very fair for the other students applying. I could also apply for UNIQ Engineering, which wouldn't cause a clash.

Is doing the Nuffield Research Placement, Sutton Trust Summer School, Headstart and UNIQ (the latter three all on engineering) a complete overkill?

Should I apply for Earth Sciences at UNIQ just in case I don't get the Nuffield Research Placement?

Sorry if this is so confusing, I'm not entirely sure I understand it myself! Thanks in advance.

First of all, it's great that you show such interest in your subject.

I would say that the Nuffield research one looks most impressive, so choose that one over the others if you're given the choice.

I think you might as well apply to UNIQ, as you can always decline the offer. You don't know if you're going to get the placement yet so just apply for UNIQ just in case. It does seem a bit overkill if you do UNIQ and Sutton Trust together. I realistically think one will suffice.

Bear in mind that both UNIQ and Sutton Trust rejected me last year, and I now have gained entrance into Cambridge. So don't take it to heart if you do get rejected.
Reply 2
Original post by Mike_123
First of all, it's great that you show such interest in your subject.

I would say that the Nuffield research one looks most impressive, so choose that one over the others if you're given the choice.

I think you might as well apply to UNIQ, as you can always decline the offer. You don't know if you're going to get the placement yet so just apply for UNIQ just in case. It does seem a bit overkill if you do UNIQ and Sutton Trust together. I realistically think one will suffice.

Bear in mind that both UNIQ and Sutton Trust rejected me last year, and I now have gained entrance into Cambridge. So don't take it to heart if you do get rejected.

Thanks a lot! I think I'll do that then.
Reply 3
Thanks a lot! I think I'll do that then.

As anecdotal evidence, in my comp sci interviews we talked about the Nuffield Research placement for quite a while, on the other hand I couldn't really do anything else over the summer...
Reply 4
Original post by dakenSoren
As anecdotal evidence, in my comp sci interviews we talked about the Nuffield Research placement for quite a while, on the other hand I couldn't really do anything else over the summer...

What kind of stuff did you actually do on your placement? The website isn't the most informative thing in the world. Also, on the application form it asks "Are you planning to arrange your placement?". What does that mean?

Hello I'm in year 12 and in a similar position to you! There are so many dates clashing with all these summer schools, programmes and trips! I've decided on applying for UNIQ and the Nuffield research placement, however I would definitely pick the research over UNIQ! Tbh I think it can be overkill (and probably a clash with the dates too!) going for everything! And yes I agree with you that the Nuffield website is confusing! :smile:
Reply 6
What kind of stuff did you actually do on your placement? The website isn't the most informative thing in the world. Also, on the application form it asks "Are you planning to arrange your placement?". What does that mean?

I trained a computer to find gorilla features within images, I can give you the report if you really want.
I'm not sure what the website wanted from you I just filled out paper forms. Also my school organised it for me, check if yours can do the same for you?
Reply 7
I trained a computer to find gorilla features within images, I can give you the report if you really want.
I'm not sure what the website wanted from you I just filled out paper forms. Also my school organised it for me, check if yours can do the same for you?

My school has nothing to do with it. I found out about it independently but I think it's all online this year. A copy of the report would be really, really, really great!
Reply 8
My school has nothing to do with it. I found out about it independently but I think it's all online this year. A copy of the report would be really, really, really great!

Here you are:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FxGdIrPGRGaHRMeXpNVkRxdmc/edit?usp=sharing
Reply 10

I applying to do a Nuffield Placement with CompSci in mind. What did you do during your placement?
Original post by FN510
I am applying to do a Nuffield Placement with CompSci in mind. What did you do during your placement?

I mentioned it a few posts ago and my report on post 9 will explain it best. But basically I learned how a method of object detection worked and then used it with a software library (OpenCV) to find out how it performs in detecting gorillas.
I trained detectors to find gorillas, played around to try and improve it and then wrote up the report. The whole thing was very interesting, but it did take up most of the summer.
Hi, can I ask what you ended up doing in the end? Because I’ve got my geography field trip, Sutton trust, headstart, uniq, Nuffield and the Birmingham AEP programme all lined up to do in July and August and now I’m worried that might be an overkill.
Original post by CuriousCat567
Hi, can I ask what you ended up doing in the end? Because I’ve got my geography field trip, Sutton trust, headstart, uniq, Nuffield and the Birmingham AEP programme all lined up to do in July and August and now I’m worried that might be an overkill.

Haha I’m in the same position, I’ve got Nuffield, UNIQ, Sutton Trust and AEP and now my whole summers gone. I guess it shows dedication to our subjects though.
Original post by CuriousCat567

It can never be overkill
according to my teachers
I've got to do Sutton trust, uniq, nuffield, and 3 other pathway courses from universities

Latest