The Student Room Group

Should I aim for an A* in Physics?

Received my physics mock exam results(I'm taking both AS and A2 this year) and I got 76% UMS in the A2 paper, and 94% UMS in the AS paper (one really, really, really stupid mistake that lost me 4 marks). I didn't revise for these mock exams because I wanted to know how I could do without revising, and then I could see what my strong and weak points are afterwards. Anyway, I was wondering if I should bother aiming for an A* in physics or not.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Umm..yes?!
Reply 2
Original post by JackNorman
Received my physics mock exam results(I'm taking both AS and A2 this year) and I got 76% UMS in the A2 paper, and 94% UMS in the AS paper (one really, really, really stupid mistake that lost me 4 marks). I didn't revise for these mock exams because I wanted to know how I could do without revising, and then I could see what my strong and weak points are afterwards. Anyway, I was wondering if I should bother aiming for an A* in physics or not.
Thanks
A really silly question, only you could possibly know that.
Reply 3
With revision, it is obviously possible.

Just be careful though because physics papers often have one or two questions with very strange contexts and situations in. It can be very tricky to get the A*
Reply 4
Is this a joke lmaoo
Reply 5
Why would you even ask that question? People these days... Sheesh
Reply 6
Thanks

Yes you should. Do 2 past papers for each without revising. Then revise the topics you lost even a single mark on.
Reply 7
Original post by TheBBQ
With revision, it is obviously possible.

Just be careful though because physics papers often have one or two questions with very strange contexts and situations in. It can be very tricky to get the A*

Thanks for a proper answer, I forgot to mention this as just the first unit of AS and A2. And I know how hard it it is to get an A*, the second unit in A2 is much bigger and more difficult, this is what I'm not sure of, and getting 90% ums in both seems really difficult. Thanks again.
Reply 8
Thanks for a proper answer, I forgot to mention this as just the first unit of AS and A2. And I know how hard it it is to get an A*, the second unit in A2 is much bigger and more difficult, this is what I'm not sure of, and getting 90% ums in both seems really difficult. Thanks again.

Aim for it, then the lowest you can get is an A. Sometimes with the dodgy mark schemes its just luck to get the A*.
Reply 9

Aim for it, then the lowest you can get is an A. Sometimes with the dodgy mark schemes its just luck to get the A*.
Reply 10
Original post by TheBBQ

A dodgy mark scheme is a possibility. I'm doing OCR A and the second unit of A2 has only been a round a couple of years, and that doesn't leave much in the way of past papers either
Reply 11
A dodgy mark scheme is a possibility. I'm doing OCR A and the second unit of A2 has only been a round a couple of years, and that doesn't leave much in the way of past papers either

I'm on AQA A and in a paper it said to explain using first principles why ac current is needed for a transformer to work. But you actually got no marks for explaining why, you only got the marks for saying that ac current is needed for an alternating magnetic field and dc doesn't do this. Absolutely stupid.
Reply 12
Original post by TheBBQ
I'm on AQA A and in a paper it said to explain using first principles why ac current is needed for a transformer to work. But you actually got no marks for explaining why, you only got the marks for saying that ac current is needed for an alternating magnetic field and dc doesn't do this. Absolutely stupid.

OCR A doesn't seem too bad really, but as I said with it being a new spec it will probably still be flawed
Original post by TheBBQ

AQA A Physics is a ridiculous mark scheme.
Reply 14
Original post by AlphaNick
At least u wont be doing OCR B

OCR ******* B.

WHY?!

What's so bad about it? Hahaha
Reply 15
Original post by JoshBedford
AQA A Physics is a ridiculous mark scheme.

Yeah, they can be really picky or stupid sometimes, which makes it incredibly difficult to get the A* in some papers..
........of course you should?!
Original post by TheBBQ
Yeah, they can be really picky or stupid sometimes, which makes it incredibly difficult to get the A* in some papers..

Picky mark schemes have cost me something like 20 marks where a question says to 'explain' an idea, and then expects wildly unrelated answers.
Reply 18
Original post by JoshBedford
Picky mark schemes have cost me something like 20 marks where a question says to 'explain' an idea, and then expects wildly unrelated answers.

I'm pretty certain that examiners are just doing it to annoy us and make sure that not many people get the high grades..
Reply 19
no cud u plz aim 4 a c thanks

Quick Reply

Latest