The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
No, it's not impossible to get false negatives. If there isn't enough hcg in your urine it could show up as a negative.
False positives however are another matter. It's kind of impossible to get a true false positive if the test has been done correctly and isn't faulty, it's not an evap line.

It's not likely that you'd have a false negative, but it is a small possibility.

I'd try not to worry though to be honest, it doesn't really sound like you're pregnant.

(I used a tesco test when I was pregnant with Nathan and it gave me a very hefty positive)

Last question and hopefully I'm done. It has been 2 weeks since sex and some websites suggest this is sufficient time for a pregnancy test - so I took First Response Early Result Test this morning - negative. It's meant to be 99% accurate. I know you have never taken this test but is it safe to assume?
Hi guys

I think I'm probably more like 7 weeks along than 11 - yesterday I started feeling nauseous and then today I've already been sick twice :frown: I could barely stomach more than a few spoonfuls of porridge at breakfast, then I threw up a couple of hours later, and then I had a cracker and *then* threw up half an hour after that. I've just had a baked potato with butter for lunch and I'm hoping I can actually keep this down.

This doesn't bode well for the next few weeks :frown:
Not pregnant. And, to be honest, I think it's for the best. I have to focus on other things for now and hopefully in a few months we can try knowing there's nothing in our way.

Between now and then I simply need to reeducate myself on contraception, lol. Never been the best at that because a baby would never have been the end of the world, but I really need to get a grip on it for a while at least.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

I think I'm probably more like 7 weeks along than 11 - yesterday I started feeling nauseous and then today I've already been sick twice :frown: I could barely stomach more than a few spoonfuls of porridge at breakfast, then I threw up a couple of hours later, and then I had a cracker and *then* threw up half an hour after that. I've just had a baked potato with butter for lunch and I'm hoping I can actually keep this down.

This doesn't bode well for the next few weeks :frown:

Sorry that you are feeling rough. Morning sickness can be horrible. I had a really rough time for ages. All I can suggest is to eat little and often and eat whatever you feel like. Don't try to force down something that you know is going to make you sick. Some people find ginger helpful (I personally didn't) the other thing that helped was sickness bands for sea sickness while they didn't make it go away they took the edge off. If you are really struggling to keep things down over a longer period of time then you might need to see your gp for anti sickness tablets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by randdom
Sorry that you are feeling rough. Morning sickness can be horrible. I had a really rough time for ages. All I can suggest is to eat little and often and eat whatever you feel like. Don't try to force down something that you know is going to make you sick. Some people find ginger helpful (I personally didn't) the other thing that helped was sickness bands for sea sickness while they didn't make it go away they took the edge off. If you are really struggling to keep things down over a longer period of time then you might need to see your gp for anti sickness tablets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

I bought some ginger nuts yesterday and will see if they do the trick - I didn't end up throwing up again yesterday so it seemed to be worse in the morning for me. I wonder if it's partially tied to sleep deprivation - the night before I'd slept really badly, just tossing and turning all night, and so I made a particular effort to get as much sleep as possible last night. I do feel a little queasy this morning but I'm being very careful with what I eat... we'll see!
20 week scan tomorrow. I am starting to feel quite anxious :frown:
Original post by randdom
20 week scan tomorrow. I am starting to feel quite anxious :frown:

Any reason to? Or just silly nerves? I feel nervous about my first scan too, and anomalies and things coming up - I guess it doesn't help much to point out how statistically likely to be fine it is.
Any reason to? Or just silly nerves? I feel nervous about my first scan too, and anomalies and things coming up - I guess it doesn't help much to point out how statistically likely to be fine it is.

No reason at all :frown:

Just working as a doctor and having done both obstetrics and paediatrics I am acutely aware of the fact that things do go wrong and probably have the impression that this happens more than it actually does just because I see it more than most people.
I think I better join this soc. I'm starting my fifth week today! Found out on Saturday and still shellshocked! My partner is really happy though, and I'm happy too, as well as nauseous and shattered - starting a job teaching in a secondary school last week isn't helping with the tiredness though!
I've been OK for the most part; I threw up again yesterday morning but I am keeping most things down, and it seems much worse for me in the mornings. I still feel sick throughout the day, but I only actually throw up in the morning. This is good, because it means I'm less likely to throw up in front of friends or while I'm out and about doing things! (Luckily I work from home.)

I'm also filling up fast and so I've started having lunch and dinner in two halves, so I'm eating at 12, 2, 6, and 8. It keeps me from feeling too sick, too.

Midwife booking appointment at 11:30 today!
I think I better join this soc. I'm starting my fifth week today! Found out on Saturday and still shellshocked! My partner is really happy though, and I'm happy too, as well as nauseous and shattered - starting a job teaching in a secondary school last week isn't helping with the tiredness though!

Also - congratulations! :smile:
Reply 1251
Original post by randdom
No reason at all :frown:

Just working as a doctor and having done both obstetrics and paediatrics I am acutely aware of the fact that things do go wrong and probably have the impression that this happens more than it actually does just because I see it more than most people.

Scan go ok?
I couIdn't face waiting & had another private scan at ~16/40 in the too-soon-for-definitive-movements and 12-20/40 scan wilderness! :redface:
Original post by Elles
Scan go ok?
I couIdn't face waiting & had another private scan at ~16/40 in the too-soon-for-definitive-movements and 12-20/40 scan wilderness! :redface:

Scan went well, all looks fine though stubborn baby meant it took three separate attempts and most of the morning! We didnt find out the gender, i was worried baby would flash us :smile:

i have been luck and feeling movements for a few weeks now but didn't help with the worry that something would be wrong!
It's been 20 days since sex. I took a test today 10 days after period due. I put the lamp light behind it and there seems to be a shadow. Could this be the casing or should I be worried? In natural line there is only one line
It's been 20 days since sex. I took a test today 10 days after period due. I put the lamp light behind it and there seems to be a shadow. Could this be the casing or should I be worried? In natural line there is only one line

deffo think you're ok now chica :wink:

Odd question, but have you checked your tests in natural light? for a long time I had really faint positives. Also, it could be that stressing about whether or not you're pregnant is further delaying it for you!
Urghhh, morning sickness still bad. Slowly learning how best to deal with it - for me it's mostly trying to move as little as possible until after lunch and eating very little in the morning - just crackers and snack a jacks. I don't usually throw up after lunch, though today for the first time my panini came up :frown:

Otherwise everything's fine. Got my first scan coming up a week on Thursday so we should finally find out how far along I am - unfortunately there's a chance I could be not quite 10 weeks by that point - more like 9.5 weeks - so hopefully they can still see things if I am only that far along. It'll be nice to have a date in mind though!
Original post by Maybe Tomorrow
Odd question, but have you checked your tests in natural light? for a long time I had really faint positives. Also, it could be that stressing about whether or not you're pregnant is further delaying it for you!

There is nothing visible in natural light only in the lamp/overhead when tilted a certain awkward way. I took the other test out of packaging and held it against the light and there is a grey line on it so I guess (as well as reading endlessly on the internet) this is where colour is supposed to collect.
27 weeks tomorrow. Starting to feel very achy, tired and heavy. Feel massive but everyone tells me my bump is quite small! As long as baby is healthy I'm not fussed. Kicking like crazy though!
Argh that was me (27 weeks) . Damn anonymous!

Quick Reply

Latest