The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
For the Liverpool medics, which societies is Liverpool renowned for? And which would you recommend?
Reply 761
Original post by Shaimaa95
For the Liverpool medics, which societies is Liverpool renowned for? And which would you recommend?

This really depends on what your interests are:

A few of the medical societies are listed in the OP and there is a link to the LGoS website which has a list of all societies at Liverpool.
Reply 762
Still no reply from liverpool and its been ages!!! They asked me to complete a fee assessment form and after that absolutely nothing, now I'm kind of dreading that in the coming few days a rejection will be staring me in the face :frown:
Reply 763
Original post by Kyalimers

A few of the medical societies are listed in the OP and there is a link to the LGoS website which has a list of all societies at Liverpool.

Okay thank you! Their website is down atm so I guess I'll wait until it's back up and then have a look :smile:
Are Liverpool still handing out interviews? I haven't heard anything from them and I really want them to reply (positively of course). I was so looking forward to Liverpool but I have a dreaded feeling that I may be getting a rejection instead :emo:
Original post by Lyla_Mikaeal
Are Liverpool still handing out interviews? I haven't heard anything from them and I really want them to reply (positively of course). I was so looking forward to Liverpool but I have a dreaded feeling that I may be getting a rejection instead :emo:

They keep interviewing until the end of February/early March I think :smile: There's still lots of time to hear back
Original post by Rumschpringe
They keep interviewing until the end of February/early March I think :smile: There's still lots of time to hear back

Thank you! :smile: I really hope so because most of my friends got rejections last week and they have higher stats than me so I'm sort of panicking. Do they give you a one week notice of an interview? Because that's what Leeds did but Manchester gave me almost a month's worth notice. I really want to prepare well for this interview cuz it's traditional and I haven't done that before :s-smilie:
Thank you! :smile: I really hope so because most of my friends got rejections last week and they have higher stats than me so I'm sort of panicking. Do they give you a one week notice of an interview? Because that's what Leeds did but Manchester gave me almost a month's worth notice. I really want to prepare well for this interview cuz it's traditional and I haven't done that before :s-smilie:

No news is good news :smile: I was given two weeks and a half notice I think. It varies- some people were given more and some less. The fact that you've already done two should help you a lot. Traditional is a lot less intense, and Liverpool admissions are extremely friendly, so you'll definitely enjoy it - plus it's only around 15 minutes compared to the ~2hrs of an MMI, so it'll be over before you know it :smile: Good luck!
No news is good news :smile: I was given two weeks and a half notice I think. It varies- some people were given more and some less. The fact that you've already done two should help you a lot. Traditional is a lot less intense, and Liverpool admissions are extremely friendly, so you'll definitely enjoy it - plus it's only around 15 minutes compared to the ~2hrs of an MMI, so it'll be over before you know it :smile: Good luck!

Oh, thank you! :smile: They were both MMI which I found I really liked so I'm a bit scared from Tradtional because if I mess up, it'll affect my total mark :s-smilie: How many were on the panel if I may ask?
Reply 769
Just had my interview invitation :smile:
Oh, thank you! :smile: They were both MMI which I found I really liked so I'm a bit scared from Tradtional because if I mess up, it'll affect my total mark :s-smilie: How many were on the panel if I may ask?

I had two interviewers in mine!
Reply 771
Original post by Daffyd
Hey guys, I think I remember reading somewhere that basically after the interview stage, they give out offers based solely on your interview score and only use your PS/reference to break close ties? Can anyone verify this? (I tried looking for that tidbit and couldn't find it anymore..)

Urg, I keep thinking about it and it stresses me out a bit because I don't personally believe that I did too well on my interview, but I think that my application, experiences, PS, volunteering, ref etc etc are really, if not fairly, competitive.. does this mean that if I sucked at my interview, all that other (potentially) good stuff will have, so to speak, gone to waste?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=45971416&postcount=759
I had two interviewers in mine!

Oh cool! That's not so bad then :tongue:
http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/New,MBChB,curriculum,2014,FINAL,231013.pdf

Guys, i was just reading that document about the new curriculum, should i be worried that I dont really know about a lot of the stuff in there, e.g, I dont know much about the 4 horizontal and 7 vertical themes in depth.

Is it enough to know (for an interview) that PBl had been scrapped?
Yes. Liverpool will only stop you from going to countries which the Foreign Office consider too dangerous.

The problem, if there was to be one, will be with host institutions. Some don't offer electives to students who are not in their final year of medical school whilst others will only offer electives to foreign students at certain times of the year. For the most part, this is never really an issue.

Have you had your elective? If you had where did you go/are you going?
Reply 775
Original post by mubashir9995
http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/New,MBChB,curriculum,2014,FINAL,231013.pdf

Guys, i was just reading that document about the new curriculum, should i be worried that I dont really know about a lot of the stuff in there, e.g, I dont know much about the 4 horizontal and 7 vertical themes in depth.

Is it enough to know (for an interview) that PBl had been scrapped?

That should be fine. You should know that aspects of PBL will remain and used within the new sytem (called CBL).

Original post by planetconwy1
Have you had your elective? If you had where did you go/are you going?

I have. I went to The British Columbia Children's Hospital in Vancouver, Canada for an elective in paediatric orthopaedics.

Being able to do elective at the end of 4th year drastically improves your options of locations within first-world countries, most of whom require you to be in your final year of study or entering your final year of study.

I really cant find this in the OP, can you give me a link please? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 777
Original post by mubashir9995
I really cant find this in the OP, can you give me a link please? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Read the FAQs section in the first post :smile:
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea when Liverpool will be giving out offers?

They said March but does anyone know, when in March?

Thanks
Reply 779
Original post by student0695
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea when Liverpool will be giving out offers?

They said March but does anyone know, when in March?

Thanks

There is no fixed date. End of March is customary though.

Quick Reply