The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are you allowed to wear a burka in a bank?

Just watched this video

[video="youtube;hPrcSNhUWHQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPrcSNhUWHQ&list=PL2uZhE hKQPWYE07IelwFRCJn7zz5QR-fm&feature=c4-overview-vl[/video]

A guy walks in to a bank in a non threatening manner wearing a ski mask, police get called, security kick him out etc.

It got me thinking what about people who wear burkas?

A ski mask is actually more revealing than a burka so what happens if someone goes into a bank wearing a burka?

I don't want to turn this into an anti-muslim debate but it seems quite alarming.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure but that is interesting. I once heard something about a man who got through airport security wearing one, can't remember the details - I think he might've been on the run or wanted or something, not sure...
Reply 2
having fully watched the video, I think the reason they react so badly is cos is outfit is recognised or associated with criminals, a burka isn't so I suspect nothing would happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Mac1718
having fully watched the video, I think the reason they react so badly is cos is outfit is recognised or associated with criminals, a burka isn't so I suspect nothing would happen.

At the risk of offending, is the burka not associated with terrorists?
Yeah I was wondering what the etiquette is when a women goes through customs at the airport. Does the women have to show her face? Does her passport photo even show their face? I was just curious...
Reply 5
I have no problem with banks allowing people in with buqas but not ski masks, they are private companies and should be allowed to make their own decision.
Original post by StrangestThings
Yeah I was wondering what the etiquette is when a women goes through customs at the airport. Does the women have to show her face? Does her passport photo even show their face? I was just curious...

The passport photo has to show her face but I'm not sure that she will have to, at least in British airports where people don't get frisked.
Original post by wildrover
I have no problem with banks allowing people in with buqas but not ski masks, they are private companies and should be allowed to make their own decision.

There would be uproar if a private company banned burkas but allowed ski masks, though.
Original post by RtGOAT

do you know how ridiculous that sounds?
Reply 9
Original post by joker12345
There would be uproar if a private company banned burkas but allowed ski masks, though.

There probably would be but I wouldn't be amongst those offended. Those people offended would be free to take their business elsewhere.
Nice prank.
Reply 11
Generally women who wear them remove them when they have to - like at the airport. They show their face to whoever needs to see it and then cover again. They're not associated with terrorists. They are associated with Islam.
Reply 12
Original post by RtGOAT

No. Its associated with a religion.
I don't think I've heard of terrorists wearing them...
Original post by Mac1718

I agree (and I don't have a particular problem with this, because burka related crimes aren't exactly the country's current biggest problem), though I think there's a point to be made in that there's nothing stopping a criminal robbing a bank / going through security dressed in a burka.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by StrangestThings

If they don't then they should.
You should not be allowed to wear a burqa in public places just because your husband is a paranoid, control freak.
Reply 16
I am supporting you as a Muslim. Burqa is really annoying. It covers the whole face and can't recognize even if it is a women inside.
Reply 17
are you for real. This item of clothing has nothing to do with Islam/islam. This is a piece of clothing used to oppress woman and used evade detection when used for terrorist purposes. Stop being so naive. This is not mentioned in any Islamic literature. I cannot walk into a building with a ski mask on but I could with a burka!??? Get real!! There is no place in western society for this. If people like it then thus can go live in the country that promotes it. France has banned it and so should we. It won't be long before this disgusting oppressive price of clothing is banished from society. It sickens me that people are supportive of it
Reply 18
Original post by Solemn Rain
do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Well it's not really wrong, a lot of people in England associate burkas and terrorism with extreme Islam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
No the burka is a form of control, fact.
It's a Potent security threat and oppressive to woman.This item of clothing imprisons women, threatens social harmony, fuels distrust, has grave health implications.

This piece of clothing has nothing to do with religion or Islam and is nothing but a preastoric cultural fad. This practise is completely against the Koran's teachings. As a country we are trying to eradicate all forms of discrimination like sexism and hate crime yet by allowing the burka we are openly supporting the degradation of these woman.

I suggest you read up and stop being so niave. This view is why people get radicalised!

Latest

Trending

Trending