The Student Room Group

'Must see' places in New York

I'm going to New York in February, would like to hear some suggestions about places that I should visit, like where to shop, where to eat, museums and etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

Thanks, have you been before?
5th Avenue.
Times Square.
Macy's.
Reply 4
Original post by tengentoppa
5th Avenue.
Times Square.
Macy's.

Thanks, don't think I'll be able to afford that much on 5th Avenue, but it'll be an experience :smile:
Original post by sallyware
Thanks, have you been before?

I went when I was a lot younger but I don't remember much...
Reply 6
I'm going to New York in February, would like to hear some suggestions about places that I should visit, like where to shop, where to eat, museums and etc

Always wanted to go New York.

Statue of Liberty
Empire State
Central Park
National History Museum
9/11 Tribute Centre
Grand Central
Wall Street District
Yankees Stadium
Museum of Sex
Those are just a few, tonnes of things to see, have a look at some travel blogs online to get an idea.

Also try to go to a Brooklyn Nets or New York Knicks game (NBA Basketball) really good atmosphere!
Reply 7
Original post by Nerd2

Statue of Liberty
Empire State
Central Park
National History Museum
9/11 Tribute Centre
Grand Central
Wall Street District
Yankees Stadium
Museum of Sex
Those are just a few, tonnes of things to see, have a look at some travel blogs online to get an idea.

Also try to go to a Brooklyn Nets or New York Knicks game (NBA Basketball) really good atmosphere!

Wow, that's a great list, thanks so much! I booked tickets to see the New York Knicks in Madison Square Garden just last night! Museum of sex also sounds...interesting!
Reply 8
Original post by Nerd2

Statue of Liberty
Empire State
Central Park
National History Museum
9/11 Tribute Centre
Grand Central
Wall Street District
Yankees Stadium
Museum of Sex

Great list! I'll keep some of these in mind next time I go, I've only been to Central Park, Empire State 9/11 Tribute Centre (before they finished the memorial), Statue of Liberty and Times Square really :lol:
Reply 9
I booked tickets to see the New York Knicks in Madison Square Garden just last night!

Brilliant! Have fun in New York!
Reply 10
Something less obvious is Greenwich Village - area of Manhattan with little independent shops which are much cheaper than 5th Avenue or Times Square! It's quite similar to Camden in London and feels much more laid-back than central Manhattan. I could have spent days shopping there! Lots of shops, cafes, bakeries and parks etc.

Would definitely recommend it :smile:

Other must sees:
Central Park - hire bikes!
9/11 memorial
New York Public Library
Harlem (I actually stayed in Harlem - much safer during the day than everyone makes out, and full of culture!)
Ferry to Staten Island - some incredible views of the city
Roosevelt Island Cable Car - again, gives incredible views of the city and the UN
Chelsea food market (Amazing cakes!)
Chelsea Highline - beautiful walkway above the city, converted from an old train line
Central Park Zoo!
Rockefeller Centre at sunset - gives stunning views of the city and surrounding boroughs
Reply 11
The High Line if the weather's nice.
Reply 12
Any genuine New York corner diner in Midtown, for breakfast or lunch. It is such an authentic New York experience. The NYC waitresses are good at what they do. They don't miss a heartbeat, and those hash browns....Yummm! Last thing, remember to ask for the check, not the bill as I did - ha ha. Amazing iconic city.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
+ MoMA, Guggenheim, Sotheby's and Christie's if you're into art.
McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Starbucks.
Reply 15
the hood

just kidding don't do that, you would probably get shot
(edited 10 years ago)

I've been working in New York in my gap year. Ellie_d has a pretty good list of the big places to go to. Definitely, definitely go on the Staten Island Ferry, absolutely incredible.

Check out the South Street Seaport, largest collection of historic fleets in the US + a ton of awesome places to go drinking nearby.

There's a ton of places you can go to if you're interested in checking out historical stuff. If you are, I can recommend some.

Also, look up the "Hop on Hop off " tour bus. It takes you to many of the great sites, you get to spend a decent amount of time there and go to the next. If you like a place, you can come back again. Its great for tourists, and is quite cheap too.

Most importantly,

http://gothamist.com/2013/07/24/the_10_best_food_trucks_in_nyc.php

I'm still going through this list, but the ones I've been to are absolutely out of this world. Highly recommend you go to some of these places. There's a reason why NYC street food is so famous.

Some great places to eat - Shake shack, Hot Kitchen (amazing Chinese food, and very cheap for the quality), Bareburger and Masala Times.
Reply 17
If you can, I'd go up the Empire State, and get a ticket for the night slot. Genuinely one of my most exhilarating experiences ever :smile:
Reply 18
Go up the Rockefeller Centre NOT the Empire State. That way you can observe the Empire State from Rockefeller and the skyline looks so much more impressive.
Reply 19

I'm also going to New York this month! What date do you fly out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest