The Student Room Group

A-level Choices Help!

Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of choosing my A-level options, and these are the choices I have already made:

Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry

The problem is my fourth (or even fifth :wink:) choice, for which I am trying to decide between Physics, Biology and Computing (which I am not too sure will be offered at my school, but a lot of people that I know want to do it and are saying it will be an option next year).

What do you think I should do, and I would really appreciate it if you gave a reason instead of simply stating a subject. Feel free to ask any further questions if you need more information.

Thanks a lot guys :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Which degree do you intend to do at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by qr95
Which degree do you intend to do at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too sure, but probably something to do with science (most likely either Maths or Chemistry). Are you doing A levels at the moment?
Original post by majmuh24
I'm not too sure, but probably something to do with science (most likely either Maths or Chemistry). Are you doing A levels at the moment?

If that's the case, Physics would be the most useful since it's the most mathematical of the three sciences. Biology is of less direct relevance (although it's still definitely useful and a good 4th option). I wouldn't recommend Computer Science because it's not really regarded as an 'accommodating' option. Having said that, you already have the three A Levels you need for Maths or Chemistry, so I'd choose whichever you enjoy the most and which one you'll think you'll do the best in.
Reply 4

No I did maths, economic,law last year. Physics is a good option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
If that's the case, Physics would be the most useful since it's the most mathematical of the three sciences. Biology is of less direct relevance (although it's still definitely useful and a good 4th option). I wouldn't recommend Computer Science because it's not really regarded as an 'accommodating' option. Having said that, you already have the three A Levels you need for Maths or Chemistry, so I'd choose whichever you enjoy the most and which one you'll think you'll do the best in.

Interesting, I pretty much agree as Phyics is probably my next favourite subject (after Maths and Chemistry of course :biggrin:), whereas Biology is not really as interesting to me. I do take Electronics and ICT for my GCSE options, so that may help with Computer Science (actually I think it might be just Computing :tongue:).
Interesting, I pretty much agree as Phyics is probably my next favourite subject (after Maths and Chemistry of course :biggrin:), whereas Biology is not really as interesting to me. I do take Electronics and ICT for my GCSE options, so that may help with Computer Science (actually I think it might be just Computing :tongue:).

Computing is pretty easy to self teach. If you had time, you could try teaching yourself programming.
Reply 7
Original post by AlphaNick
It depends entirely on uni ideas.

If medicine - biology.
If chemistry/maths - physics.

I'd avoid computer science for now, many people take it at uni without having it as an AS/A2 qualification and they usually do it alongside maths or physics.

That's what I thought as well, but medicine isn't really my thing :no: It was Computing, not Computer Science btw if that changes anything :smile:

What A levels have you chosen?

Computing is pretty easy to self teach. If you had time, you could try teaching yourself programming.

Do you do Computing?

Perhaps, although it seems a bit early for that :wink:. In Electronics, we often cover systems flowcharts and similar circuitry and related topics, so this may be similar to the logical steps of programming, although I just can't really be bothered to learn stuff right now. What would you say is the best starting point to learn computer programming?

Do you do Computing?

Perhaps, although it seems a bit early for that :wink:. In Electronics, we often cover systems flowcharts and similar circuitry and related topics, so this may be similar to the logical steps of programming, although I just can't really be bothered to learn stuff right now. What would you say is the best starting point to learn computer programming?

No I don't, but I've looked through the syllabus. The best place to start is probably by learning a basic language like Python.
Reply 9
No I don't, but I've looked through the syllabus. The best place to start is probably by learning a basic language like Python.

Right, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

By the way, would you suggest doing 5 A levels (I've asked some people about this and a lot of them are saying that it's way too much work)
Right, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

By the way, would you suggest doing 5 A levels (I've asked some people about this and a lot of them are saying that it's way too much work)

I would say no, a lot of people would disagree with that. I'll try and explain my rationale through my own experience. I did very well at GCSE (12A*s) and I've always been either the best or one of the best in all of my subjects. As a result, there was a lot of pressure on me to do 5 AS levels and a lot of the people with a similar academic profile to me chose to do 5. The reason why I decided to do 4 rather than 5 was mainly because when it comes to applying for Uni, they only take into consideration 3 A Levels (or in rare cases, 4), so taking 5 gives you absolutely zero advantage and could possibly reduce your attainment across your A Levels because of the extra work-load, giving you a disadvantage. I also didn't want to be up to my neck in work.

Now, retrospectively I realise that I could have probably easily done 5 AS levels because I'm doing fine in all my 4 subjects with very little work from my part. However, this means that I have a huge amount of free time (I've only got on average 3.5 lessons per day) which means that I can put a lot of time into my extracurricular studies. I've managed to build up an understanding of my subjects that people with 5 AS Levels simply haven't been able to do and I've also been able to go ahead which will give me a big advantage in Year 13.

Now of course, I'm not saying that if you do 4 AS Levels you'll have a totally easy life because most people don't. What I am saying is that you can't really win by taking 5. If it's all fine, then you could have spent more time on ECs if you had taken 4 (which is more useful than a 5th AS level) and if you struggle, everything could go catastrophically wrong.

But as I said, there are plenty of people on TSR who completely disagree with this and think that doing 5 is fine. But I definitely do not regret taking 4.
:pierre: Anyone there?

Quick Reply

Latest