The Student Room Group

Help me get into Dentistry! :C

Hey guys,

So I got 4 rejections last year, and applied again this year, so far 3 rejections and I'm waiting to hear back from Newcastle after my interview last Wednesday but on the chance that they also don't want me, which courses could I do instead that would help me get into Dentistry afterwards? I'm quite keen on Chemical Engineering as I love Chemistry and Maths, but I don't think that really leads on to Dentistry, any ideas? :|

Thanks,
Nick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can get in through Biomedical Science im pretty sure, well thats my plan anyway if I fail....
Reply 2
Original post by dokane
You can get in through Biomedical Science im pretty sure, well thats my plan anyway if I fail....

Yeah I'm not sure I want to do that though, hmm.. :/
I'm sure you'll be fine man! How's your application going so far? :smile:
Science related courses such as the previous poster said.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by bubble999
Science related courses such as the previous poster said.

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck :smile:

So do you reckon ChemEng would be a viable choice? :smile:
Original post by Danickman5
So do you reckon ChemEng would be a viable choice? :smile:

I don't see why not. It may be better to go for biomedical or biochemistry. However, if you will do better at ChemEng, then go for it :smile: Also, maybe email the universities that have rejected you and ask if it would be accepted (just to make sure) :smile:
Reply 6
Hey guys,

So I got 4 rejections last year, and applied again this year, so far 3 rejections and I'm waiting to hear back from Newcastle after my interview last Wednesday but on the chance that they also don't want me, which courses could I do instead that would help me get into Dentistry afterwards? I'm quite keen on Chemical Engineering as I love Chemistry and Maths, but I don't think that really leads on to Dentistry, any ideas? :|

Thanks,
Nick

What are your stats may i ask?
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Nick

Just saw this thread and thought it may help you :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2394103
Reply 8
Yeah I'm not sure I want to do that though, hmm.. :/
I'm sure you'll be fine man! How's your application going so far? :smile:

Well Ive heard you only need to do a year of it then you can transfer, not sure though! Its going well so far, had two interviews and another in Feb so hopefully get in somewhere :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by monisj1
What are your stats may i ask?

I got 3A's at A2, Bio Chem and Eng Lang, and an A at AS in Maths.
4A*s 5A's 3B's and a C at GCSE (C was in RE, nobody was arsed about that haha).
In the UKCAT last year I got 672.5, this year 747.5 :smile:

Wow! Well done :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by bubble999
Wow! Well done :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Doesn't seem to have done me a lot of good though :wink:
Reply 12

But why you getting rejected if they so good results
Reply 13
Original post by monisj1
But why you getting rejected if they so good results

No idea, guess they must not like my personal statement, looks good to me though :| I've asked for feedback, still waiting though..
You should have applied to UKCAT heavy universities! Your score is pretty awesome! Where did you apply last year? Where did you apply this year besides Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by HelpTheInnocent
You should have applied to UKCAT heavy universities! Your score is pretty awesome! Where did you apply last year? Where did you apply this year besides Sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I kinda applied all over the place this year, I applied to Cardiff Dundee Sheffield and Newcastle, last year I applied to Liverpool Leeds Manchester and Sheffield :smile:
Reply 16
Yeah I kinda applied all over the place this year, I applied to Cardiff Dundee Sheffield and Newcastle, last year I applied to Liverpool Leeds Manchester and Sheffield :smile:

same as the advice above:redface: you should have applied to UKCAT unis like KCL, glasgow, since they rank applicants by the UKCAT score you are very likely to get an interview from them :P
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Nick

Apply again?
Reply 18
Original post by dokane
Well Ive heard you only need to do a year of it then you can transfer, not sure though! Its going well so far, had two interviews and another in Feb so hopefully get in somewhere :smile:

Have you even checked whether that is possible at any of the universities you've applied for? It's largely a myth, I think you're in for a nasty shock.

Edit: My mistake, I take it you're still on a dentistry application cycle right now? Seriously, do some research on this if you don't get in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Apply again?

I could do, but I'm not desperate to have another gap year haha :')

Quick Reply

Latest