The Student Room Group

EXTREMELY URGENT Grammar Help, Please

In this sentence, would you use the singular or plural?

My abilities/ability to communicate with others, work in a team and make quick decisions, will help me to succeed in this career.

Thanks.
Original post by momomomo123
In this sentence, would you use the singular or plural?

My abilities/ability to communicate with others, work in a team and make quick decisions, will help me to succeed in this career.

Thanks.

Okay now that I think about it I'm not 100% sure, but I've always written it as:

My ability to communicate with others, work in a team... etc

To use abilities you would have to rephrase the whole thing.
Am I wrong? If so, someone please correct me haha.
Reply 2
Original post by lianaist
Okay now that I think about it I'm not 100% sure, but I've always written it as:

My ability to communicate with others, work in a team... etc

To use abilities you would have to rephrase the whole thing.
Am I wrong? If so, someone please correct me haha.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm really not sure which one it is now...
Reply 3
Yeah, I would use ability :smile:
It doesn't sound right to use abilities
Thanks for your reply.

I'm really not sure which one it is now...

Sorry. But it does sound better don't you think? By putting 'my ability' you're referring to each one in the list.

"My ability to communicate with others, (my ability to) work in a team..." If you get what I mean? Just like you would say "my love for science, politics..." etc
Reply 5
Original post by DJE2595
Yeah, I would use ability :smile:
It doesn't sound right to use abilities

Original post by lianaist
Sorry. But it does sound better don't you think? By putting 'my ability' you're referring to each one in the list.

"My ability to communicate with others, (my ability to) work in a team..." If you get what I mean? Just like you would say "my love for science, politics..." etc

Thanks to both of you. :smile:
I'll take your advice and use ability. However, if it is not correct I shall have to hunt you down...:biggrin:

Don't worry, I'm much too nice for that.
Reply 6
Ability is the correct term. :yy:
yeah I'm pretty sure it's ability, because in your sentence you are listing qualities, and so instead of using 'my ability to whatever and my ability to whatever, (basically repeating the word ability) you are using it in a list.

As always, when faced with a question that usually we don't go over, you start to question :tongue:
But I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure it's right
Reply 8
ability
Reply 9
Original post by Pandora.
Ability is the correct term. :yy:

I love your avatar!

Original post by Sanaa SurnamE
yeah I'm pretty sure it's ability, because in your sentence you are listing qualities, and so instead of using 'my ability to whatever and my ability to whatever, (basically repeating the word ability) you are using it in a list.

As always, when faced with a question that usually we don't go over, you start to question :tongue:
But I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure it's right

Original post by Jizzle88
ability

Thanks to all three of you. :smile:
Reply 10
I love your avatar!
Aw, thank you! :h:
Thanks to both of you. :smile:
I'll take your advice and use ability. However, if it is not correct I shall have to hunt you down...:biggrin:

Don't worry, I'm much too nice for that.

Haha if it's wrong you're free to hunt me down :')
In the sentence it is "ability". If you wanted to highlight that you have a number of different abilities that would help towards communication you'd have to change the sentence slightly. Guessing this is for an application of some kind, 'ability' is fine I should think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending