The Student Room Group

Is 95% attendance a realistic expectation?

I currently have around 85% attendance and my school is calling a meeting with my parents to discuss why my attendance is so 'bad'. My school has a policy of 95% and they've said I'm not allowed any more days off this whole year (they can do one), otherwise they're threatening to refer me to my doctor because of my frequent illness. Can they actually do this? And out of interest, do you think 95% attendance is a realistic expectation of year 11 students?

Scroll to see replies

I can't see why it wouldn't be, to be honest. I always used to have 98% attendance or above.

If you haven't got any extenuating circumstances (which it doesn't seem like you have, or you would have mentioned them) then it isn't exactly hard to turn up at school every day. :rolleyes:
Moved to the Schools section :smile:
Original post by Confusedmess
I currently have around 85% attendance and my school is calling a meeting with my parents to discuss why my attendance is so 'bad'. My school has a policy of 95% and they've said I'm not allowed any more days off this whole year (they can do one), otherwise they're threatening to refer me to my doctor because of my frequent illness. Can they actually do this? And out of interest, do you think 95% attendance is a realistic expectation of year 11 students?

85% sounds pretty low, that's a day off most weeks. 95% sounds fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4

I think that is a realistic expectation yes. In fact, I think an expectation that you should attend whenever you are able is realistic. Why should you have any time off that could be avoidable? Over a whole year I'd imagine this would work out to something like 98-100% attendance depending on if you get ill a lot.

However, referring you to your doctor? That just sounds silly. If you are ill then you are ill and there isn't much they can do about that. I could understand them having a meeting/specific teachers having meetings for absences to discuss how to ensure you catch up, but other than that you can't help being ill. I can't see what any doctor would do with this information anyway.

It seems especially ludicrous at this point of the year, where you must only have had around 4 days off. It's quite reasonable for someone to be ill for 4 days, especially if they manage to catch a sickness bug before AND after xmas which means you aren't ALLOWED to come in!

xxx
Reply 5
I've had over 95%. It's really not that hard unless you do have an long-term illness. Obviously since you said you do have an illness, your school should understand.
Reply 6
Pretty sure I had something like >99% attendance at Sixth Form (I remember I missed a lesson once). I think, discounting legitimate reasons, 100% attendance is a realistic expectation of year 11 students.
I think 95% attendance is more than a realistic expectation. There are 180 days in a school year, and the school expects you to miss 9 or fewer. Any employer that tolerated more than 5% absence without very good reason does not deserve success.
it's absolute *******s. what especially gets on my tits is how, even though my parents will authorise an absence, it still goes against my record! it should only be the ones i purposely don't show up for which count against me.

especially when i have to drive for sometimes up to 75 minutes to get to college, ****ing ridiculous to expect i'm not going to pull a regular sickie.

(it's usually 40 mins max in the car but the floods recently have made traffic ****ing ridiculous)
Reply 9
I've had 100% the last 3 years but this year I'm down at like 89% because I had 2 weeks off because I was really ill. So it is easy to drop below 95% so in some ways, it is unrealistic because people do get ill, you can't really help it :tongue:
Original post by kpwxx
I think that is a realistic expectation yes. In fact, I think an expectation that you should attend whenever you are able is realistic. Why should you have any time off that could be avoidable? Over a whole year I'd imagine this would work out to something like 98-100% attendance depending on if you get ill a lot.

However, referring you to your doctor? That just sounds silly. If you are ill then you are ill and there isn't much they can do about that. I could understand them having a meeting/specific teachers having meetings for absences to discuss how to ensure you catch up, but other than that you can't help being ill. I can't see what any doctor would do with this information anyway.

It seems especially ludicrous at this point of the year, where you must only have had around 4 days off. It's quite reasonable for someone to be ill for 4 days, especially if they manage to catch a sickness bug before AND after xmas which means you aren't ALLOWED to come in!

xxx

Think that's more than 4 days off. Say 15 weeks so far (?), that's 75 days. Missing 15% of those 75 puts it at around 12 days missed. Over 2 weeks of school days.

To sum up, it is very normal for a school to expect 95%, and pretty easy for a student to make that target.
(edited 10 years ago)
In year 11 I had 99.2% and the days I were off were fully justified. So yeah.
Reply 12
It isn't difficult to turn up to school, especially in such an important year what with your finals. If you had a job you would be sacked for regular days off without a valid reason.

If you're calling in sick so often of course the school is going to refer you to a doctor - they want proof that you actually have something wrong with you that means so many days off....
Reply 13
Original post by martin jol
it's absolute *******s. what especially gets on my tits is how, even though my parents will authorise an absence, it still goes against my record! it should only be the ones i purposely don't show up for which count against me.

especially when i have to drive for sometimes up to 75 minutes to get to college, ****ing ridiculous to expect i'm not going to pull a regular sickie.

(it's usually 40 mins max in the car but the floods recently have made traffic ****ing ridiculous)

Ha, this made me laugh:wink: I feel your pain
My attendance was pretty bad in year 11 but I had an excuse and I still got good grades. I used to suffer from excruciatingly horrible period pains which meant that I often couldn't go in. I also didn't really like to attempt to go in to at least sit in a few lessons because:
- I lived far
- My mum doesn't have a care
- You're not allowed to go home by yourself when sick
- My mum would have to take 3 buses just to come and collect me
- I'd spend ages waiting in the nurse's room to go home
The teachers at my school were ****ing ***** and didn't try to understand my situation at all, especially the male teachers who were unfortunately the ones who were in charge of dealing with this (head of year etc). They said I could attempt to come in and often harassed my mum by constantly calling her whenever I wasn't in which made no sense really. Eventually I started doing something that solved my problems so the pain wouldn't disrupt my exams and then there were no problems. If you have an illness, then it's understandable but I think 95% is realistic I guess, at least by the end of the year anyway. I currently have 96% attendance at college but although some people's attendance is much lower than mine, the percentage will continue to increase for every lesson they attend so it won't stay too low. It's so much easier for me to get to college than it was for school (thank god) so I don't really have any excuses for bad attendance now. However, my attendance was sometimes bad in secondary school in previous years because I just didn't want to go in as I didn't always like it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Yep, 99% isn't too unrealistic either, I doubt I had a single year going through school where I had under 95%. Unless you've got specific illness or extenuating circumstances, then there's no excuse for just having days off when you feel like it really.
The school will look at periods of absence as well as %. So if you've missed 10 consecutive days due to flu they will look at it differently to 10 x 1 days for different things.
Reply 17
100% attendence bitchesssss

Seriously, what lessons are you missing to get 85% attendence. Our taxes are not being used on you so that you can act truant.

Fix up son.
Ha, this made me laugh:wink: I feel your pain

i have a feeling uni is gonna be more in line with my philosophy in terms of attendance :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by Kandybars
My attendance was pretty bad in year 11 but I had an excuse and I still got good grades. I used to suffer from excruciatingly horrible period pains which meant that I often couldn't go in. I also didn't really like to attempt to go in to at least sit in a few lessons because:
- I lived far
- My mum doesn't have a care
- You're not allowed to go home by yourself when sick
- My mum would have to take 3 buses just to come and collect me
- I'd spend ages waiting in the nurse's room to go home
The teachers at my school were ****ing ***** and didn't try to understand my situation at all, especially the male teachers who were unfortunately the ones who were in charge of dealing with this (head of year etc). They said I could attempt to come in and often harassed my mum by constantly calling her whenever I wasn't in which made no sense really. Eventually I started doing something that solved my problems so the pain wouldn't disrupt my exams and then there were no problems. If you have an illness, then it's understandable but I think 95% is realistic I guess, at least by the end of the year anyway. I currently have 96% attendance at college but although some people's attendance is much lower than mine, the percentage will continue to increase for every lesson they attend so it won't stay too low.

Yeah, sounds similar to my situation. I'd have to walk 3, maybe 4 miles if I wanted to get a bus to/from school (I have to get a lift) so they can **** themselves if they think I'm coming in every day! Although I have to admit, this has so far, been my worst year in terms of attendance...oops

Latest

Trending

Trending