The Student Room Group

What to pick for A-levels?

I have done my mocks and I have managed to get a B in maths, A in chemistry, B in Physics and A in Computing. I'm planning to becoming an engineer and go into Software or chemical engineering. Any ideas for this path?

Thanks guys
Reply 1
Original post by veebakkas
I have done my mocks and I have managed to get a B in maths, A in chemistry, B in Physics and A in Computing. I'm planning to becoming an engineer and go into Software or chemical engineering. Any ideas for this path?

Thanks guys

Your subjects sound great for your aspirations.
Engineering = maths and physics
Software = computing and maths (probably physics too)
Chemical engineering = chemistry and maths

So yep I would say those subjects are great for you. To be sure check out the course search on UCAS at the unis you may consider to see their requirements. :smile:
Reply 2
You might want to consider Further Maths too, although it is quite difficult compared to A level Maths, and is not strictly required for software or chemical engineering
Original post by oyyoyy
You might want to consider Further Maths too, although it is quite difficult compared to A level Maths, and is not strictly required for software or chemical engineering

I'm not too confident with my mathematical ability, do I need an A* to be able to do Further Maths? Also, is Further Maths and Advanced Further Maths really important in terms of Maths in general, does it make a difference?

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 4
I'm not too confident with my mathematical ability, do I need an A* to be able to do Further Maths? Also, is Further Maths and Advanced Further Maths really important in terms of Maths in general, does it make a difference?

Thanks again :smile:

Realistically you need to be confident with the A level maths syllabus to be able to cope with the further maths material, if you find c3/c4 hard then FP2/FP3 will be considerably tougher. In any case, speak to a maths teacher that knows your ability at your school and see what they think about you doing further maths.
Thanks for the advice, really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys

Id choose physics, chemistry, maths and computing/ICT.
That should cover all areas.

Quick Reply

Latest