The Student Room Group

why don't educated, ''high flying'' career women marry ''down''?

everyone knows that having kids affects women's career big time. so why don't these women marry men who will stay at home with the kids since they make enough money to support the whole family? men have been marrying ''down'' since forever and still do. so why don't women do it and continue their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Lol, because you know all high flying career women.
Reply 2
Original post by anonymouspie227
Lol, because you know all high flying career women.

see post above, haha
Reply 3
I'd assume, because men are probably insecure or intimidated by her success and wealth and may feel quite useless compared to her (in this situation).
Reply 4
Men are waking up to it to be honest. The newer generation especially. Men have always congregated to talk about women, it is just now that the internet has it made it much easier to synthesize and refine understanding.

As for the original thread topic, women always look up, they never look down for partners.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Capn cas
I'd assume, because men are probably insecure or intimidated by her success and wealth and may feel quite useless compared to her (in this situation).

There's no need to shame men, it's more to do with the women. Women prefer to be with someone who they consider better than them whilst men prefer someone who looks good.

Woman have checklists for men e.g must be 6ft+, must earn x amount or more, have his own place/car etc. That's why you hear "where are all the good men", there are plenty around but they haven't met their criteria.

Edit: OP you've got your answer from -------- it comes down to hypergamy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by enthuziazmz
everyone knows that having kids affects women's career big time. so why don't these women marry men who will stay at home with the kids since they make enough money to support the whole family? men have been marrying ''down'' since forever and still do. so why don't women do it and continue their careers?

They might have the perception that the 'poor' man would take her Money?
Reply 7
Original post by enthuziazmz

It's hardly that simple really. Women still have to carry the child for 9 months, will often breast feed for some time so cannot just go back to work straight away and will also have to recover from labour so couldn't just go straight back to work for a start.
There are also great hormone changes mean going straight back to work isn't that easy.
Maybe a year or two down the line it would be different but a newborn baby is quite reliant on the mother
Reply 8
What i take this to eventually (or already) mean is that women are less likely to commit to lower ladder men. Yet, they would have many polygamous sexual relationships with them, i.e. they look for the best looking men. Doesn't this sound like the traditional mindset of men to you?
(edited 3 years ago)
One could also ask: 'why don't powerful and successful men settle down with mingers?'

In fact they do because they probably married one before they became powerful and successful. But dissatisaction sets in when desireable women are attracted to the success and he succumbs to temptation, leading to extra-marital affairs and divorce.

The answer to the OP's original question though is simply that success brings more choice. And if you are successful, you are more than likely driven and uncompromising which is reflected in the partner you choose.

It works both ways.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by LeonieEmily
It's hardly that simple really. Women still have to carry the child for 9 months, will often breast feed for some time so cannot just go back to work straight away and will also have to recover from labour so couldn't just go straight back to work for a start.
There are also great hormone changes mean going straight back to work isn't that easy.
Maybe a year or two down the line it would be different but a newborn baby is quite reliant on the mother

check the sources in the thread. hypergamy is very real for the vast majority of women, with or without kids.
Reply 11
No need, i am a law grad, i took family law in third year.

Yes, in ideals they want everything. However, they are also human and want sex. So, who wins? The most good looking man in the right social circles (i wouldn't say rich per se, just has to be in the right 'clique').

The good looking man (i.e. not to brag, but people like me) can get relationships yes, and sex. But, these women will always want better and will always try and get an 'upgrade'. This is based on personal experience and seeing masses of men of a similar calibre as me get cheated on and messed around. It makes me very wary of the dangers of getting into a relationship.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Well obviously. Don't you know what women want?

I have studied them at great length and I can tell you.

Everything.
silly me I thought marriage was mostly about love, not whose earning what. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Huskaris
Well obviously. Don't you know what women want?

I have studied them at great length and I can tell you.

Everything.

Tbh, i see huge amounts (i can't predict how many) of the next generation heading for a Japan-like scenario. Where they effectively just stop trying with these women and just live their lives and get sexual gratification through other means. E.g. Prostitutes, hentai, other weird **** or just abstaining altogether. With that obviously comes more social problems. I seriously worry for the next generation because it seems as though people are starting to realise that "relationships" never really end well or make one happy in the end. If my views seem over the top, then ignore them, i am not a futurist. However, it is a reasoned estimation that I have.
Reply 15
Welcome to the real world mate. When these high flying women notice that their biological clock is ticking and are almost dried up,so to speak, you get the 'old lady at a club' phenomenon.
Reply 16
Original post by donutaud15
silly me I thought marriage was mostly about love, not whose earning what. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why we have women who abuse the system and fleece the man of his current and future wealth through child support and alimony?

Originally marriage was never about love it was a way for a man to ensure that the children were his and the woman is taken care of during and after the pregnancy. Marriage being about love is a fairly new concept.
Reply 17
Original post by arkhamz
Welcome to the real world mate. When these high flying women notice that their biological clock is ticking and are almost dried up,so to speak, you get the 'old lady at a club' phenomenon.

As an unfortunate recipient of their advances, I can assure you that instead of feeling egotistical about it and finding it funny... I find it exceedingly sad. In the sense that it is just a mockery of what a healthy society should be. Many of them are old enough to be my mother.
Original post by puma21
That's why we have women who abuse the system and fleece the man of his current and future wealth through child support and alimony?

Originally marriage was never about love it was a way for a man to ensure that the children were his and the woman is taken care of during and after the pregnancy. Marriage being about love is a fairly new concept.

I'm not denying that there are women who marries for money but from what I've seen so far, divorce is not exactly what a bride is thinking on her wedding day.

And as for marriage for love being a new concept yes that's true, but it's a concept now because people have found that marriages tend to be better if the couple has feelings for each other.

Anyway I'm not here to debate, just find it really depressing that this is what some people's view of marriage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by uberteknik
One could also ask: 'why don't powerful and successful men settle down with mingers?'

check the list of the richest men in the world and their wives. only a tiny percent are married to supermodel types. most are still with the same average looking woman after 30-50 years, their high-school sweetheart etc

look at zuckerberg's wife, the guy is worth 20 gazillion ffs lol

Quick Reply

Latest