The Student Room Group

Lack of extra curricular activities

So, here's the deal. I am yet to sit my GCSE's, but I'm fairly confident I can get pretty good results, assuming I put in the work etc etc, same applies for A-Level-basically assume I'm sorted academically. Trouble is, I have zero extra curricular activities. No sports, clubs or charity work unfortunately. This would be fine, except I'm considering a career in medicine as a possibility-which as I understand, requires a lot of EC stuff...
It's important because I'm choosing A-Levels soon and need to know whether to go with chemistry or something else...
Do I give up? Go for it anyway? How many EC's would be enough? Or, as an alternative I'm considering law-could I do that with less hassle?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
From what you have said you appear to have no interest in studying chemistry, a desire to take easier options and no passion to join the medical profession. It sounds like medicine isn't for you. "I got good gcse so am going to do law or medicine" shows pretty unimaginative thinking to be honest, what do actually enjoy or feel passionate about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
From what you have said you appear to have no interest in studying chemistry, a desire to take easier options and no passion to join the medical profession. It sounds like medicine isn't for you. "I got good gcse so am going to do law or medicine" shows pretty unimaginative thinking to be honest, what do actually enjoy or feel passionate about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't enjoy any subject particularly, just because I am good at most subjects doesn't mean I enjoy any of them very much. If I did have a 'passion', that would be great, and I'd be happy to pursue it, and that's great for the 10% of people who find they do have one, but unfortunately I'm in the 90%, thus my presence on this forum. When I made my comment about law, I'm just being realistic, as I'm in 5th form now it's a bit late to take up a whole host of sports/activities which I have no talent or enthusiasm for. While my 2 choices sound cliche, the majority of my family are doctors, I'm comfortable with what it entails and I'm familiar with it. As for law, I'm curious about it but can't quite decide whether I'd love it or hate it. No offence mate, but if everyone who became a doctor had to be passionate about it then the NHS wouldn't be able to cope. But thanks for completely disregarding my question and then offering a piece of advice which is more cliche than my career plans.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest