The Student Room Group

How much does your weekly shopping come to?

My shopping for this week came to £5.73 and that's to last me 9 days. My flatmates are astonished at how I do it, but I get purely just what I need each week. Usually my shopping comes to just under £10 but I was just topping up with stuff to make meals with what I had this week.
I'm interested how much yours is and what you buy (value range/finest/takeaways/ready meals etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Typically around £50... Though I really like to cook and end up buying loads of ingredients etc, £5-£10 is crazily low, I know a friend who can do £20 and I thought that was the lowest possible ever!
Reply 2
It all depends on whether you cook yourself, and the quality of ingredients used.
It's much easier than people think to make a budget stretch, isn't it! If somebody said to me that I had to live on £50 I would struggle as there would be things I'd want that I couldn't have.

But, if someone said I had to live on £10 a week (again) I would do that with probably equal struggle. Because as humans we adapt to what we have quite easily, but also strive to get just that little bit more, which I think is great.

But yeah, you can get certain foods incredibly cheaply.
Too much. Gluten free food is uber expensive :frown:
Reply 5
30 odd quid when I was buying alone, 50-60 now im living with my girlfriend, we do buy alot of unessesary branded stuff though,
£30ish a week for my food shopping. I eat 6 big meals a day though, gotta feed dem muscle gainz!
About £20 - £25 a week.

2 nights a week I have fresh fish/seafood, 2 nights I have fresh chicken or beef mince and 2 nights a week are vegetarian nights. Sunday I leave to my parents to cook the roast :biggrin:

When I was a student I would easily go as low as £10 or less, but at that point I was eating a lot of carbs and **** frozen food that did my body no good.
Reply 8
If I'm doing a lot of cooking, £20 - £30, but if I've got a lot of frozen leftovers from the week before and I'm just topping up for lunches it can easily be <£10
When I run out of meat I go to Aldi, buy the bulk packs and they last me so long, so I'm not spending a lot on meat. I spend most of it on veggies, fruit, cereal and milk. I go late, when the shops are closing and get the cheap stuff.
In Australia, a box of gluten-filled cereal is about $3, mine are at least $5 and have less in them. I have to have lactose milk, so I pay around $2L where as normal milk is $1L. Then there's pasta and other things that you have to get from the health isle, which costs at least 3x the price :frown:
Seriously considering only eating once a day. Twice if I can afford it that week.
Reply 10
Original post by _anyawalsh
My shopping for this week came to £5.73 and that's to last me 9 days. My flatmates are astonished at how I do it, but I get purely just what I need each week. Usually my shopping comes to just under £10 but I was just topping up with stuff to make meals with what I had this week.
I'm interested how much yours is and what you buy (value range/finest/takeaways/ready meals etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have lived on less than £5 per week via cornflakes, milk, noodles, beans, eggs and bread. I generally however spend around £20 and my last shop was the following..

Weetabix
Milk
Fresh Fish (i forget it's name)
Cod in butter sauce
Artichokes
Lentils
Peas
Spinach
Leeks
Sweet Potato
Avacado
Apricot
Guava
Banana
Mango
Pomegranate
Strawberry

Original post by Clementine101

And tastes horrible, i had several of my grandmothers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11

I know, right? My parents are trying to get me on a gluten-free diet because I seem to lose weight exponentially quickly on them, but they just trivially go "oh, and you can get 6 sausages for £3". 3 quid!? I can buy 40 non-gluten-free for £2!
Original post by Rakas21
I have lived on less than £5 per week via cornflakes, milk, beans, eggs and bread. I generally however spend around £20 and my last shop was the following..

Weetabix
Milk
Fresh Fish (i forget it's name)
Cod in butter sauce
Artichokes
Lentils
Peas
Spinach
Leeks
Sweet Potato
Avacado
Apricot
Guava
Banana
Mango
Pomegranate
Strawberry

And tastes horrible, i had several of my grandmothers.

Some of it doesn't taste too bad. A lot of it does though.

Original post by CJKay
I know, right? My parents are trying to get me on a gluten-free diet because I seem to lose weight exponentially quickly on them, but they just trivially go "oh, and you can get 6 sausages for £3". 3 quid!? I can buy 40 non-gluten-free for £2!

Seriously, don't do it. Don't do it unless you know for sure you can't process gluten. If you eat a gluten-free diet and don't actually need to be on one, you'll end up having to be on one because you've damaged your bowels.

I hate buying food, it makes me want to not eat ever again.
Reply 13
Some of it doesn't taste too bad. A lot of it does though.

Seriously, don't do it. Don't do it unless you know for sure you can't process gluten. If you eat a gluten-free diet and don't actually need to be on one, you'll end up having to be on one because you've damaged your bowels.

I hate buying food, it makes me want to not eat ever again.

Does all fruit and veg have gluten, perhaps try that.
Original post by Rakas21
Does all fruit and veg have gluten, perhaps try that.

Nah, no fruit and veg have gluten, so a gluten free diet is pretty healthy (if you stay away from the cakes and bikkies!)
Reply 15
£30-£40 usually. Plus another £10-£20 with booze.
Reply 16
Don't do weekly shopping, I just go on a bulk meat run at the market which will last me over a month. That's like 30 pounds. After that just need some cheap veg and brown rice/pasta.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Nah, no fruit and veg have gluten, so a gluten free diet is pretty healthy (if you stay away from the cakes and bikkies!)

Live as a vegetarian then, you can still eat tonnes (just look at my shopping list).

I'd forget most gluten free substitutes given price and taste though.

I think my grandmother has something which makes her crap if she has any fruit and veg, perhaps that's why she eats awful gluten substitutes.
Reply 18
Neglecting food entirely, my weekly shopping comes to approximately one hundred and seventy pounds for cigarettes (Lucky Strikes at three packets a day), thirty pounds for alcohol (one bottle of Glenfiddich or equivalent per week---I'm aware this isn't much), and thirty pounds for petrol (sixty miles, small car, you work it out).

In total, two hundred and thirty quid, and when I add food on to that (I tend to buy imported food, as I find German products to taste far better than British), it ends up being a pretty penny indeed.

EDIT: If I do my shopping per month, it ends up being very slightly cheaper. What I do then is fly to the Czech Republic. Cigarettes in Pressburg/Bratislava are 2.80 in the soft pack (about 1.50 L.), and liquor about 8 euro (about 5 L.), although I have to add money for the flight ticket/aeroplane fuel (about 80 L.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by _anyawalsh

Posted from TSR Mobile

£10-20 for two people per week. We're veggie which helps. That gives us 2 meals a day (we don't really do breakfast but there's always muesli in the cupboard)

I dont really understand how you can get a balanced lunch dinner and breakfast for 9 days on under 6 quid without having a ridiculously well stocked larder?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending