The Student Room Group

I literally can't stop crying over a book and I don't know why?

I know I'm probably going to be ridiculed for this but I'm at the point where I don't even care. Basically the past two days I decided to read my younger sibling's copy of The Hunger Games to see what the fuss is about and I realised that they're actually really well-written and emotional and so without thinking I read all three books and watched both films and now I'm a complete wreck and I don't know what to do.

I keep crying over them and the slightest trigger just reminds me of the characters or storyline, it's really not healthy. I can barely sleep and I keep waking up in the middle of the night thinking about it and I just have this knot in my stomach that only goes away when I cry.

I don't know if it's because I have had nightmares about living under that kind of opression or whether reading it in such a short time has lead to me feeling a little too attached to that World? I don't know if I feel too attached to the characters or what.

Has anyone been through this? What do you do? I tried to distract myself by going on Tumblr and the first thing I see if a gif from the film. I try and watch TV and something reminds me of it.

I know it's not real, I know I'm being stupid. I don't understand why I've had this reaction. Yeah I felt a little sad when Harry Potter ended (for example) but not like this.

Any advice please? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

My god, go to a pub or something
Don't worry, I was psychologically depressed for a week after finishing the third book. I guess you become so emotionally attached to these characters (yes, I know they're fictional and all), but you somehow view them as people you know/love, and so it affects you when your 'relationship' comes to an end. I wouldn't worry about it, the feeling disappears :smile:

Focus your attention elsewhere. Maybe a different book, or keep yourself preoccupied with studying and whatnot?
Reply 3
If it's any consolation, I cried over the ending of The Very Hungry Catepillar. Deep stuff, deep stuff...
Reply 4
It's about Australians, but I think you'd get a lot from this motivational video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc
Reply 5
Original post by thebeautywithin
My god, go to a pub or something

Believe me, I wish I could but I have classes soon.
Original post by euphrosyne
Don't worry, I was psychologically depressed for a week after finishing the third book. I guess you become so emotionally attached to these characters (yes, I know they're fictional and all), but you somehow view them as people you know/love, and so it affects you when your 'relationship' comes to an end. I wouldn't worry about it, the feeling disappears :smile:

Focus your attention elsewhere. Maybe a different book, or keep yourself preoccupied with studying and whatnot?

I'm glad someone else went through this. I just feel like the ending gave no closure and it just was so sad. :frown: I'll try and distract myself.
Reply 6
I love it when a series hits me hard emotionally. It must've done a good job to do that! But uhh, sounds like you've hit another level :tongue: I dunno, watch/read something else? It'll probably take your mind off it. Just make sure it's not something sad!
Don't read any good fiction then. God. You'd be neurotic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's perfectly fine to cry over a book, I cried on and off for a few days after finishing The Fault in our Stars by John Green, that book is even more realistic and heart-wrenching than The Hunger Games.

I cried while reading the Hunger Games, my reasons are probably quite different from yours (from what I gather you cried because you really felt for the characters, but I didn't really cry because the purpose of the game was unfortunately to kill every character you love off ><). I felt that I could relate to the oppressed citizens of Panem, wanting to make a change but being muted and kept under control by the government (I'm not from the UK, and I don't like the country I'm stuck in). I cried because I felt so trapped and how the book showed that the only way out was by rebellion (district 13) or death really got to me...

So yeah, I understand your feels my friend. :smile:
Don't worry, wrapped up in my duvet, surrounded by biscuit crumbs and in the dark I cried to last nights episode of Coronation Street.
I cry more easily at fiction than real life. I very rarely cry over real-life events.

Look, the best way to get over a book is to read another book. I recommend the Discworld. Funny, well written, and there's loads of books so you can lose yourself in them.
Reply 11
I know how you feel pal, when Breaking bad ended I was so distraught, but I realised Walt was going to die anyway but the main thing was walt died happy and he died where he was born :')
Just grow a pair man, they dont love you
Reply 13
Thats how Hunger Games work...I am obssesed about it too! (well, you can judge taht from my profile anyway)
Reply 14
I cried after finishing the trilogy as well. I get sad after finishing all series, TV and books because you feel like you've lost the characters that you've become attached to, forever.

I think the hunger games makes you extra sad because the trilogy builds up from something small to something very big . That gradual expansion from a game to the overthrowing of government tricks you into thinking it's more and more real. And just as everything seems at it's most real, the book just ends.

Don't worry you'll get over it with time. Plus there's still one more movie so the characters aren't completely gone yet. Also, you can try living the trilogy once more through someone else's eyes by reading the books to someone else. I did that for my sister and it feels like I've been through it twice :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Ornlu
If it's any consolation, I cried over the ending of The Very Hungry Catepillar. Deep stuff, deep stuff...

An emotional roller coaster with a wicked plot twist. 5 *
'really well-written' every author just turned in their graves (or, wherever they are).
Hunger Games is like Harry Potter, Twilight and Lord of the Rings in that it's generally accepted that the book isn't well written, it's popular for the story contained.
Mockingjay was a bit weird, it went from being teen fiction in the first two books that mildly suggested Katniss was going insane to being a depressing story about a girl severely suffering from PTSD that was being forced to support a war she didn't really want to be a part of, with a clear message that war is ugly and relentless, and that if the heroes in most action films were written realistically they wouldn't be heroic by the end of the film, they would be as broken and cold as Katniss becomes.
Reply 18
Original post by faithalysonrose
It's perfectly fine to cry over a book, I cried on and off for a few days after finishing The Fault in our Stars by John Green, that book is even more realistic and heart-wrenching than The Hunger Games.

I cried while reading the Hunger Games, my reasons are probably quite different from yours (from what I gather you cried because you really felt for the characters, but I didn't really cry because the purpose of the game was unfortunately to kill every character you love off ><). I felt that I could relate to the oppressed citizens of Panem, wanting to make a change but being muted and kept under control by the government (I'm not from the UK, and I don't like the country I'm stuck in). I cried because I felt so trapped and how the book showed that the only way out was by rebellion (district 13) or death really got to me...

So yeah, I understand your feels my friend. :smile:
I've read a few of John Green's books including TFIOS and whilst I found it sad I immediately got over it as I didn't really feel like I knew the characters that well I guess? I'm sorry for what you're going through though. :frown:

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I cry more easily at fiction than real life. I very rarely cry over real-life events.

Look, the best way to get over a book is to read another book. I recommend the Discworld. Funny, well written, and there's loads of books so you can lose yourself in them.
Thank you, I'll look into that. :smile:

Original post by Aniaa
Thats how Hunger Games work...I am obssesed about it too! (well, you can judge taht from my profile anyway)
It's awful. :frown: I honestly regret reading it because it's just so depressing. I wish Katniss had a happier ending. :frown:

Original post by jmalks
I cried after finishing the trilogy as well. I get sad after finishing all series, TV and books because you feel like you've lost the characters that you've become attached to, forever.

I think the hunger games makes you extra sad because the trilogy builds up from something small to something very big . That gradual expansion from a game to the overthrowing of government tricks you into thinking it's more and more real. And just as everything seems at it's most real, the book just ends.

Don't worry you'll get over it with time. Plus there's still one more movie so the characters aren't completely gone yet. Also, you can try living the trilogy once more through someone else's eyes by reading the books to someone else. I did that for my sister and it feels like I've been through it twice :smile:
Thank you. Yeah I agree that it definitely pulls you in and the ending is so anti-climatic and I wanted a proper happy ending put instead we're told that Katniss hated being pregnant and is just still suffering which breaks my heart. :frown: My younger siblings watched the films the other day and they keep asking me to explain what happens and it's slightly therapeutic to describe it in a less gruesome and depressing way lol.

Original post by justanotherposter
Mockingjay was a bit weird, it went from being teen fiction in the first two books that mildly suggested Katniss was going insane to being a depressing story about a girl severely suffering from PTSD that was being forced to support a war she didn't really want to be a part of, with a clear message that war is ugly and relentless, and that if the heroes in most action films were written realistically they wouldn't be heroic by the end of the film, they would be as broken and cold as Katniss becomes.
I agree. Reading the first book I found it sad but I didn't really feel that much. Then the second book had me drawn in by the third book I was sucked in so had to read it and ugh, awful. :frown: I keep trying to pick out the bits of the ending that were happy and focussing on them and just making up my own happy ending to get over it lol.
Reply 19
Original post by lovex

It's awful. :frown: I honestly regret reading it because it's just so depressing. I wish Katniss had a happier ending. :frown:

it was happy though

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending