The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
There is a lot of con tricks with tuition fees. Ireland says there is no "Tuition Fees" but they then say you have to pay a "Service Charge" of about £2,500 a year... If you do not want to pay a Tuition Fee and still want to be a Doctor (for example) its pretty simple - just enroll in an English speaking course in the EU for medicine. The Scots will not let us in but the rest of Europe will (I'm not sure what Scottish SNP has against English , Welsh and Northern Irish people - but the rest of the EU are quite happy for us to study in their countries.

There are thousands of English, Welsh and Northern Irish students in Scotland. Stop being such a drama queen.
Original post by Gordon1985
They certainly were a few years ago, was that an attempt to stir up animosity? Is everyone charged the same in England now?

Yes, unless you are from outside the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are thousands of English, Welsh and Northern Irish students in Scotland. Stop being such a drama queen.

Edinburgh Uni say on web "they are biased towards "locals"... Many schools in Southern England (including mine) advise students not to apply for Scottish Unis for courses that are difficult to get in (eg stuff like Medicine).

A Scottish degree is usually 4 years as well.

That is true, though that isn't because a Scottish degree needs more time; it is because the first year of a Scottish degree really only replaces the seventh year of secondary education. It is possible to start in the second year if that isn't needed.
Original post by Good bloke
That is true, though that isn't because a Scottish degree needs more time; it is because the first year of a Scottish degree really only replaces the seventh year of secondary education. It is possible to start in the second year if that isn't needed.

True, although it clearly adds to the cost of higher education in Scotland.
True, although it clearly adds to the cost of higher education in Scotland.

But reduces the cost of secondary education; it balances out.
Edinburgh Uni say on web "they are biased towards "locals"... Many schools in Southern England (including mine) advise students not to apply for Scottish Unis for courses that are difficult to get in (eg stuff like Medicine).

Edinburgh's bias against English applicants is well known.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Edinburgh's bias against English applicants is well known.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it specifically anti-English or just pro-Scottish, because they are different things.
Yes, unless you are from outside the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So that's actually a 'no' then.

Why is different charges based on geographical location (entirely within the law) "stirring up animosity" in Scotland but isn't in England?
Is it specifically anti-English or just pro-Scottish, because they are different things.
- Its not pro-scottish, its pro people living in Scotland, its a very different thing.. I'm from a Scottish family but live in southern england

OK, that's Edinburgh University, not the whole country or even the SNP. I went to Edinburgh, there are thousands of English, Welsh and Northern Irish students there. So the claim that Edinburgh University will not let English students in is absurd. Students from the North East of England were given a positive weighting in admissions as well as students from Scotland.
- Its not pro-scottish, its pro people living in Scotland, its a very different thing.. I'm from a Scottish family but live in southern england

Well by the same taken 'Scotland and the SNP' don't have anything "against English , Welsh and Northern Irish people", just the people who live in England, Wales and Northern Ireland"?

Although, as we've already established, you're wrong about that too.
But reduces the cost of secondary education; it balances out.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of higher education in Scotland, compared to England, which is what we were talking about.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of higher education in Scotland, compared to England, which is what we were talking about.

Of course it does! The cost of Scottish tertiary education is raised by ending secondary education a year early. The Scottish government is responsible for all education spending in Scotland.
Of course it does! The cost of Scottish tertiary education is raised by ending secondary education a year early. The Scottish government is responsible for all education spending in Scotland.

*Sigh*

Yes, clearly if Scottish pupils had one more year at secondary school and one less year at university, the cost of higher education would be cheaper in Scotland. I'm not saying this factor doesn't affect the cost. I'm saying that that factor isn't relevant when discussing whether Scottish or English higher education is more expensive, especially from some kind of ridiculous 'supply and demand' point of view.
Well by the same taken 'Scotland and the SNP' don't have anything "against English , Welsh and Northern Irish people", just the people who live in England, Wales and Northern Ireland"?

Although, as we've already established, you're wrong about that too.

Who are the "we" - you're not part of the royal family are you?
Who are the "we" - you're not part of the royal family are you?

Us two. I took your constant backing down and moving on to some other topic to be a sign that you accepted you were wrong.
Us two. I took your constant backing down and moving on to some other topic to be a sign that you accepted you were wrong.

Are you claiming there is no anti English sentiment in Scotland?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you claiming there is no anti English sentiment in Scotland?

No. But then, nobody made that claim and I never argued against it.

Any more random questions?
No. But then, nobody made that claim and I never argued against it.

Any more random questions?

Will you be voting no in the referendum or have you not yet made your mind up?

Latest

Trending

Trending