The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Got an unusual offer

Hi I've applied for chemical engineering. My prediction is ABB and recently got an offer from the university of Nottingham AAA. I really want to go to this university, but there is no way I can get 3 A in my A-level.

I'm not sure what I should do about it? I mean my prediction is ABB and they should think about it.
Do you think by the time I get my results they would let me in with ABB?
Original post by jay.ss
Hi I've applied for chemical engineering. My prediction is ABB and recently got an offer from the university of Nottingham AAA. I really want to go to this university, but there is no way I can get 3 A in my A-level.

I'm not sure what I should do about it? I mean my prediction is ABB and they should think about it.

It's not unusual at all. Their usual offer is AAA so you should have thought about that before you applied there. They aren't going to lower their entry requirements just for you. If their website says they give out AAA offers you should have been prepared to get an AAA offer. Simple.

Will they let you in with ABB? Highly unlikely. AAB - possibly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jay.ss

well then work hard and get those 3 As
Original post by jay.ss

No. Their offer is AAA and YOU should have thought about that before applying. Work hard and try and get AAA. If you can't, tough ****, you should have thought through your decision to apply there.
it's basically a nice way of rejecting you :smile:
An offer is an offer. Better than a rejection.
Reply 6
Original post by martin jol
it's basically a nice way of rejecting you :smile:

It's not. Nottingham really doesn't have any problems rejecting applicants, particularly given that 'conversion rate' as management call it - the ability to convert an offer into a student studying here - is a target. If they didn't want the OP, they'd save themselves the hassle of factoring in unlikely conversions and simply reject it.

OP, it's more of a challenge set down. Their typical offer is AAA as specified on the website and in the prospectus. They clearly think you're capable of studying here, but would have reservations if you didn't get A grades in one or more of your subjects. It's your call whether you think you could up your grades or not (A Level predictions are very rarely accurate) :smile:
If you really don't think you cant achieve the grades required, then don't make this your Firm.

Exams are stressful enough. If at every one you know that any slight stuff-up puts Newcastle further out of reach, it will be agonising and you will be a basket-case by the end of it. And thats before Results Day. There is nothing more gut-wrenching than watching other people leaping up and down and shrieking 'I'm going to Uni!' and you aren't going anywhere because you picked a Firm way outside your reach. Do NOT rely on somewhere like Newcastle being 'lenient'. Despite all the silly stories on TSR ('My best friend's gerbil got in with 3 Cs'), 'top' Unis are not lenient - they don't need to be now as they can get higher achieving applicants through Adjustment.

Read this - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Reply 8
Have some faith u mug - unless u took all three sciences or 2 science and maths , then it's a bit difficult :P
Reply 9
Just get ABB they will probably still let you in, there's people doing MechEng with BBC
Reply 10
I'm currently studying chem eng in nottingham. 60% (or more) of the guys in my course have ABB lol, don't believe the AAA requirement. They do however prefer the A in maths.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JAJC
Just get ABB they will probably still let you in, there's people doing MechEng with BBC

Just remember that this was last year.
This year will be different.

Never, ever, rely on a University 'what happened last year' as a strategy for making Firm and Insurance choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending