The Student Room Group

Mothers who deny fathers access to the couple’s children could be jailed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158490/Mothers-deny-fathers-access-couple-s-children-break-jailed.html

Separated parents who fail to allow their partners to maintain a proper relationship with their children could be stripped of driving licences or passports, hit with curfews, ordered to do a period of unpaid work or even jailed.
Ministers will today propose a dramatic extension of punishments for breaches of court orders regarding care arrangements amid concern that millions of youngsters are losing contact with absent fathers.
The move is part of the most radical shake-up of the family courts for decades, with a new right to ‘shared parenting’ following family breakdown to be enshrined in law.
Argument: One in five children from a broken home loses touch with the parent that leaves the family home within just three years. (Picture posed by models)+2
Argument: One in five children from a broken home loses touch with the parent that leaves the family home within just three years. (Picture posed by models)
Ministers have decided reform is necessary in the light of heartbreaking evidence that one in five children from a broken home loses touch with the parent that leaves the family home within just three years and never sees them again.
Many more lose contact with a parent, most often with fathers when mothers are awarded custody, as they grow older.
Children’s minister Tim Loughton will announce that the Government is to rewrite the 1989 Children Act, which states that the child comes first in law courts in the UK.

More...
Where are my parents? The question from little Nancy when she found the Camerons had left the pub without her
Campaigners for fathers’ rights complain that the courts repeatedly pander to the notion that mothers are ‘more important’ than fathers.
The Government will consult on how the law should be changed, but its preferred option is for courts to be required to ‘work on the presumption that a child’s welfare is likely to be furthered through safe involvement with both parents’.
Unless their welfare is threatened by staying in touch with either their mother or father, children must have an equal right to a proper relationship with both, ministers say.
The move is designed to ensure that the parent who moves out of the family home - normally the father - cannot be cut out of their children’s lives following an acrimonious separation.

This is a good thing, which is getting us nearer to real equality. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
good everyone demands women equality but men always get the short stick when it comes to kids

it takes two to tango you know
Reply 2
A step in the right direction for equality. Children should not be used as a weapon by a parent.
Hmm. I think it's a good thing, it's the best thing for the kids. If the dad would be just as a good a caregiver, he should get the same amount of time (IMO). Mothers who don't abide by court agreements should certainly be punished, they're potentially ruining their children's lives.

I wish people would stop assuming women are the better caregivers. Children have the right to see both parents if there's no good reason why they shouldn't.
Reply 4
Original post by Gjaykay
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158490/Mothers-deny-fathers-access-couple-s-children-break-jailed.html

This is a good thing, which is getting us nearer to real equality. What do you guys think?

It's good in principle but not good if one of the parents is abusive or the like.
Reply 5
Original post by redferry
It's good in principle but not good if one of the parents is abusive or the like.

I'm fairly sure a parent can stop the other seeing their kids if they're abusive. This isn't going to overrule all the laws currently in place.
Reply 6
Original post by Cll_ws
I'm fairly sure a parent can stop the other seeing their kids if they're abusive. This isn't going to overrule all the laws currently in place.

fair point.

what if the other partner doesn't want access then is really petty and gets their partner done for not letting them see the kids?

There needs to be some good legislation in place to stop abuse of the system.
Reply 7
Fathers for Justice will be happy. It's been a long time coming. Courts always favour the mother and they can be very evil and manipulative when they want to hurt the father by taking his rights away.
Reply 8
Not good, the UK is becoming a communist state
Reply 9
I hate the term "broken home"
Brilliant. The mind absolutely boggles at the women who deny WILLING AND ABLE fathers to their kids, when the world is crying out for good parents!
Reply 11

this isn't about "abusive parents", this is about "fathers" - are you assuming that the issue of bad parents is regarding the gender of the parents?

Original post by toola
Not good, the UK is becoming a communist state

how?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Monkey.Man
this isn't about "abusive parents", this is about "fathers" - are you assuming that the issue of bad parents is regarding the gender of the parents?

how?!

I dont think parental ability has anything to do with gender.
Reply 13
I dont think parental ability has anything to do with gender.

well if you're acknowledging the rule of law/equality before the law regardless of biological matters then I suppose that's okay then. I interpreted it as you saying that fathers, not in principle but in practice, were worse parents, or ideas to that effect
Reply 14
Original post by Monkey.Man
well if you're acknowledging the rule of law/equality before the law regardless of biological matters then I suppose that's okay then, because I interpreted it as you saying that fathers, not in principle but in practice, were worse parents, or ideas to that effect

oh no I meant, regardless of gender, if one parent had custody nd the other was abusive that they shoudln't be seeing their kid. I say this because a relative got beaten by her kids dad and the guy is scum and hes seeking access and I don't think that's cool, but similarly my friends mum was a heroin addict who kept harming herself, gave his little sister heroin and she tried to get access to them. In these situation no access is best, but it can happen regardless of gender!
Reply 15
There may be perfectly good reasons why a parent stops the other parent from seeing their child (i.e. they're abusive) so they are protecting them, obviously this goes for either gender
Reply 16
This just shows ppl in uk just want sex. Rather her tubes betied at birth or something
Good, it horrifies me hearing people say 'oh I don't know my real dad' unless there is a good reason for them not to see them. And there could just as easily be a good reason for them not to see their Mums, yet you don't hear half as many people saying they don't have contact with their real mum.
Reply 18
Original post by Ripper-Roo
There may be perfectly good reasons why a parent stops the other parent from seeing their child (i.e. they're abusive) so they are protecting them, obviously this goes for either gender

Then you go through the correct legal channels to prove this and to remove any and all custody rights of the abusive parent. If a court has ruled that both parents have a right to custody then neither parent has any rights whatsoever to prevent the other being in contact with their child.

I'm aware that this isn't foolproof though.
fair point.

what if the other partner doesn't want access then is really petty and gets their partner done for not letting them see the kids?

There needs to be some good legislation in place to stop abuse of the system.

You need to go to court to get an access order first so you couldn't just jump straight to going after their driving licence or whatever. If after you did start getting access you didn't use it then the other parent could reapply to court to have it removed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending