The Student Room Group

Is this image racist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pane123
Yes, it's crap. They may claim the art is in the debate it creates, but that would mean anyone could do it.

Is that a bad thing? Anyone who has a point and the vision?
Reply 41
Original post by JaiiStarh
"If it was a White woman it wouldn't be racist....If it was the other way around"..... Blah. Blah. Blah.
But it would never be the other way around would it?
Please read up on on the context and the artist before forming judgment.

Reply 42
Original post by pjm600
One interpretation of the image is that white women are on top of, or use, black women. That interpretation could be considered racist.

And they don't?
Original post by Maximillion.

Is there an invisible Black female sitting on top of her which I cannot see or?
Dunno about other people

but i burst out laughing when i slowly scrolled down and saw that black lady.

That aint racist

I can think 100 ways to turn that into a racist picture tho.
Reply 45
Original post by Kandybars
Yeah I agree. I think it's racist.

Would you consider it racist if it was the other way round? It could easily be coincidental that it's a black woman underneath. Or, for it to be acceptable, would it always have to be a white woman underneath? It depends on the context in which it was displayed.
Reply 46
Original post by River85
Is that a bad thing? Anyone who has a point and the vision?

Yes, because the vast majority of the debates are pointless. This debate is pointless, as is the debate over whether or not a chair is racist.

Not to mention the fact that people have become very rich by doing next to nothing. I like this chair as a chair, not a conversation piece.

Those involved in modern art have been very clever, as they can just claim someone like me 'doesn't get it'. They're right: I don't get it, nor do I want to get it.

Allow me to share a wonderful piece of modern art I stumbled upon a while back:

[video="youtube;HdZ9weP5i68"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdZ9weP5i68[/video]
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It could also be racist the other way around. I don't really like the idea of a white woman wearing white sitting on a black woman in black, or vice versa, it looks as if they've been used for their race to make a statement

Have you considered that you are reading that in rather than reading it out? That there isn't any information to indicate that a comment on race is being made simply by someone of one skin colour sitting on another?
Reply 48
Wouldn't have it in my house.
Reply 49
No its not racist. I've seen a white version of those silly chairs. Perhaps the 'woman' they happened to get for the photo shoot was black
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
It's a chair. Not a person. :tongue:

oh yes! :lol:
Very well made!
Reply 51
You cannot deny that the image in my opening post is racist. The first thing I noticed when I saw this was the colour of each of the woman depicted in the image. Then it hit me like a bus how a conservatively dressed educated white woman from a seemingly affluent background was perched on a chair wrought in the image of a half-naked black hooker.

The plastic chair may not be racist in itself but the casually vacant, entitled stare of the white woman says it all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by McMurdo
Would you consider it racist if it was the other way round? It could easily be coincidental that it's a black woman underneath. Or, for it to be acceptable, would it always have to be a white woman underneath? It depends on the context in which it was displayed.

I guess it does depend on the context but I wasn't thinking about it in that way. I guess it would be acceptable if both women were of the same race so no problems would arise. I think if it was the other way round, the image might be representing overcoming racism or something like that, which is something that still exists, even in the multicultural society that we live in today. Reverse racism is a myth though because either way, white people never have to suffer from racial oppression.
The woman in the image is being interviewed by a fashion blog for her new fashion magazine so it's a promotional photoshoot.

Would you think it was racist if it was the other way around?

Yes. Even if there were innocent "artistic" reasons behind it, it is clearly racist.

It represents centuries of white supremacy and oppression and that is the first and only thing people will see when they look at this picture.

The picture implies supremacy, so it would also be racist the other way round, however possibly it would be less offensive in society as white people haven't be systematically disenfranchised throughout history (I'm not say it is less offensive though).
Reply 54
Original post by pane123
Yes, because the vast majority of the debates are pointless. This debate is pointless, as is the debate over whether or not a chair is racist.

I don't think so. It can be a very effective way for certain groups, including charities and political parties, to publicise and campaign.

Not to mention the fact that people have become very rich by doing next to nothing. I like this chair as a chair, not a conversation piece.

Not particularly wealthy and this criticism can arguably be thrown at a large number of people. Ultimately it isn't next to nothing. They still need to have the sufficient skills, intelligence and vision.

Allow me to share a wonderful piece of modern art I stumbled upon a while back:

[video="youtube;HdZ9weP5i68"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdZ9weP5i68[/video]

Irrelevant to this piece, though. Besides, it's Yoko Ono :p:

Original post by Birkenhead
Have you considered that you are reading that in rather than reading it out? That there isn't any information to indicate that a comment on race is being made simply by someone of one skin colour sitting on another?

It is simply making an observation in my opinion. There's no moral judgement there. The faces of the two women are quite neutral, for example.
Reply 55
Original post by ThatPerson
Yes. Even if there were innocent "artistic" reasons behind it, it is clearly racist.

It represents centuries of white supremacy and oppression and that is the first and only thing people will see when they look at this picture.

The picture implies supremacy, so it would also be racist the other way round, however possibly it would be less offensive in society as white people haven't be systematically disenfranchised throughout history (I'm not say it is less offensive though).

I definitely agree with you.

That image is racist. If you cannot see that then it's down to your own volition of ignoring the issue.
Original post by pane123
Similar chairs do, in fact, exist in 'white woman'.

You have given the perfect example of how complicated the whole issue of racism is. The fact that many people actively look to accuse others of racism doesn't help, either.

Exactly. The people who are quick to look for racism even where there isn't any just help to keep race such a big issue.

Original post by anonymouspie227
Lol, not necessarily too sensitive, just having a different perspective. Also you only say they're sensitive because it doesn't offend you.

But it is important to think about context. I mean it could be a statement image. I don't know.

That's why I said context is important, but at first glance I can't see how it could be interpreted as racist unless people are deliberately looking for racism and reading too much into it.
Reply 57
I'd say it looks not so much racist, more as an image portraying racism.
Reply 58
Original post by ThatPerson

I still don't see how that's offensive. There have been centuries of oppression and this arguably continues. As mentioned, there's no moral judgement in the picture.

You cannot deny that the image in my opening post is racist. The first thing I noticed when I saw this was the colour of each of the woman depicted in the image. Then it hit me like a bus how a conservatively dressed educated white woman from a seemingly affluent background was perched on a chair wrought in the image of a half-naked black hooker.

Still doesn't make it racist, I'm afraid. The oppressed woman might look like a prostitute, but then it can be argued she is effectively selling her body in order to provide affluence for the white woman.

It makes a valid point about both race/manipulation of the "Third World" and feminism.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Kandybars
I guess it does depend on the context but I wasn't thinking about it in that way. I guess it would be acceptable if both women were of the same race so no problems would arise. I think if it was the other way round, the image might be representing overcoming racism or something like that, which is something that still exists, even in the multicultural society that we live in today. Reverse racism is a myth though because either way, white people never have to suffer from racial oppression.

Your comment is actually, ironically, quite dismissively racist. To say reverse racism "doesn't exist" is to suggest that many, many white people in predominantly black areas do not experience verbal or violent abuse. It also overlooks the fact that some employers actually overlook equally gifted white applicants because they want a 'diverse' working environment. Now, I'm not saying there isn't racial prejudice towards black people at times in terms of employment etc, but to say it doesn't ever, ever happen to white people either...is pretty dismissive.

It is unfair to say that a white woman sitting on top of a black woman is racist; but a black woman sitting on a white woman is "overcoming racism". It compounds racial issues, if anything. It should be seen as equal, regardless of which way round it is. Also, this isn't exactly the 19th century... Yes, there is racism (towards all races, to be honest, NOT just black people), but to turn everything into a black struggle against supposed 'white oppression' is pretty stupid.

One example - my mum has a senior position in the London met. police, and, during the London riots, she spoke to numerous policeman...and, a large number of them all confessed that they stood aside and did very little because they did not want to "seem racist", in light of the event. Reverse racism does exist, in many forms. And, it's the sort of attitude you divulged which, ironically, allows reverse racism to occur :P Overall, people should just not make such a fuss about race.

I'm part Russian and Nordic... if we lived there right now, I'd agree with you :P
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest