The Student Room Group

Money to start you off...

My friend who goes to the University of Southampton said that when he started his course the uni gave him £300 to buy essentials. Do any other universities do this? It wasn't a bursary or anything, he said they do this for all students (which I suppose makes sense if you're paying £27,000 altogether- £300 doesn't seem a lot in comparison). I was wondering if anyone knows of any other universities that do this, how much they give, or whether it is course specific, etc.?
Original post by dgrc
My friend who goes to the University of Southampton said that when he started his course the uni gave him £300 to buy essentials. Do any other universities do this? It wasn't a bursary or anything, he said they do this for all students (which I suppose makes sense if you're paying £27,000 altogether- £300 doesn't seem a lot in comparison). I was wondering if anyone knows of any other universities that do this, how much they give, or whether it is course specific, etc.?

I'll move this over to the Student Financial Support board for you, from the Manchester board, as I think you'll get a better response there :smile:

However, I'm afraid Manchester doesn't offer this :frown: They do have a very generous bursary package of up to £3000 per year, but unfortunately none of it comes through before you start uni. They also ask for a £400 halls deposit withiin a week of receiving your accommodation offer, which comes shortly after results day.

For those universities where there is no upfront bursary payment, most people will use their overdraft. Student bank accounts come with a 0% interest overdraft, and having proof of a confirmed place at uni is normally enough evidence to open one.
Never heard of it!
Reply 3
Original post by dgrc

I've not heard of it before, certainly UEA doesn't offer that.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'll move this over to the Student Financial Support board for you, from the Manchester board, as I think you'll get a better response there :smile:

However, I'm afraid Manchester doesn't offer this :frown: They do have a very generous bursary package of up to £3000 per year, but unfortunately none of it comes through before you start uni. They also ask for a £400 halls deposit withiin a week of receiving your accommodation offer, which comes shortly after results day.

For those universities where there is no upfront bursary payment, most people will use their overdraft. Student bank accounts come with a 0% interest overdraft, and having proof of a confirmed place at uni is normally enough evidence to open one.

Thank you for moving this over, no one seems to know what I'm talking about- maybe I mistook what he said and it was just a student overdraft or something...
Original post by dgrc
Thank you for moving this over, no one seems to know what I'm talking about- maybe I mistook what he said and it was just a student overdraft or something...

I think you are right, my friend is at Southampton and I remember her saying something about this. Two friends at Chester also get money each year to spend in the uni bookshop :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending