The Student Room Group

AS Economics AQA unit -1 (2014 May)

Any idea on what will come up on the Economics paper in may 2014 for unit 1 ?

Scroll to see replies

Most probably questions on Micro-Economics. I'd be surprised, if it weren't.
Original post by Abdul-Karim

I heard they were trying to be unpredictable this year so you never know! :biggrin:
Reply 3

well obviously questions on micro economics lol , but as in what topic do you think will come up ? e.g minimum pricing ? or even taxation ...
Original post by MR95
well obviously questions on micro economics lol , but as in what topic do you think will come up ? e.g minimum pricing ? or even taxation ...

These are both just Supply side/Government intervention policies. If you get a question on Government intervention you can use both of these in an answer. Max Price/ Tax/ Information Provision/ Subsidies/ Min Price/ Property rights. I don't think it's of any use speculating the possible exam questions, as it wouldn't be beneficial.

How I wish I was still doing AS Economics, the good old days. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
By the way I find evaluating a little hard and struggle on it , any tips on how I can improve evaluation ? or structure I could follow? thanks.
Reply 6
These are both just Supply side/Government intervention policies. If you get a question on Government intervention you can use both of these in an answer. Max Price/ Tax/ Information Provision/ Subsidies/ Min Price/ Property rights. I don't think it's of any use speculating the possible exam questions, as it wouldn't be beneficial.

How I wish I was still doing AS Economics, the good old days. :rolleyes:

yeah they definitely , they are all the main common methods off intervention used , ah economics is a brilliant subject with a lot off depth. what are you studying at the moment?.
Reply 7
supply is a key element in economics as it states though , because there are many things that shift and change it , for example taxation and subsidies given , but I've always seen that the subsidy shifts the curve left ? however on paper its always shifted the supply curve right which is not understandable ?. because clearly your providing money which should shift the supply curve shouldn't it ?
Original post by MR95
supply is a key element in economics as it states though , because there are many things that shift and change it , for example taxation and subsidies given , but I've always seen that the subsidy shifts the curve left ? however on paper its always shifted the supply curve right which is not understandable ?. because clearly your providing money which should shift the supply curve shouldn't it ?

I'm not sure understand your question but maybe because subsidies lower costs for businesses meaning they can increase output? So this is represented as a rightward shift
Reply 9
Original post by Mindless Behavior
I'm not sure understand your question but maybe because subsidies lower costs for businesses meaning they can increase output? So this is represented as a rightward shift

hmm well it encourages more people to use/buy it , for example swimming pools , subsides that then more people will go swimming right ? but how will that shift the supply curve right is my question ? which im confused on ..
Original post by MR95
hmm well it encourages more people to use/buy it , for example swimming pools , subsides that then more people will go swimming right ? but how will that shift the supply curve right is my question ? which im confused on ..

We're looking at the supply side here not demand side. If more people go swimming for whatever reason that would increase demand (shift the demand curve to the right). But we're talking about the supply curve. A subsidy is a payment by the government to suppliers to decrease their costs. When costs decrease, the suppliers are able to increase their output so the supply curve shifts to the right.
Reply 11
We're looking at the supply side here not demand side. If more people go swimming for whatever reason that would increase demand (shift the demand curve to the right). But we're talking about the supply curve. A subsidy is a payment by the government to suppliers to decrease their costs. When costs decrease, the suppliers are able to increase their output so the supply curve shifts to the right.

ahh understood ! thanks mindless behaviour , what subjects are you doing ? and are you at university ?
Original post by MR95
ahh understood ! thanks mindless behaviour , what subjects are you doing ? and are you at university ?

Yay! And nope I'm doing AS Maths, Economics, Philosophy and Biology :smile: (I don't know why I chose Biology though)
Reply 13
aha thanks for it ! and ohh right im doing AS statistics which is one of the maths modules also doing economics and BTEC ICT and yours is a all mixed combo and yeah exactly aha but im sure you can drop the biology right ? if not it can help you later on so there's no worries there ! how are you finding economics? and are you doing unit 2 atm .. ?
Reply 14
Yay! And nope I'm doing AS Maths, Economics, Philosophy and Biology :smile: (I don't know why I chose Biology though)

quite a mixed combo ! haha any ideas off what you want to go into.. and im doing stats economics and ict so all financial type based however Im confused why you chose biology aha owell it can help you later on depending on which career you go into ! and are you doing unit 2 for economics atm ?
Reply 15
I heard they were trying to be unpredictable this year so you never know! :biggrin:

Have you started revising? I have my Mocks in feb and am freaking out at the volume of work I need to revise. There seems so much of it.........:frown:
Original post by MR95
quite a mixed combo ! haha any ideas off what you want to go into.. and im doing stats economics and ict so all financial type based however Im confused why you chose biology aha owell it can help you later on depending on which career you go into ! and are you doing unit 2 for economics atm ?

Yeah we're doing Unit 1 and Unit 2 at the same time. I enjoyed Biology at GCSE but I'm hating it now (Well it's okay but it's too much work). I'm thinking about maybe doing Philosophy and Economics as a joint honours
Original post by chatty
Have you started revising? I have my Mocks in feb and am freaking out at the volume of work I need to revise. There seems so much of it.........:frown:

No I haven't started revising yet. I haven't really thought about how I'm going to revise yet but I don't think you can go wrong just looking through the Spec, and past papers/mark schemes. And Tutor2U has been good so far
Reply 18
No I haven't started revising yet. I haven't really thought about how I'm going to revise yet but I don't think you can go wrong just looking through the Spec, and past papers/mark schemes. And Tutor2U has been good so far

hmm make sure you revise because in the 25 marker with AQA is the hardest part as for the evaluating in it can be a bit complex and hmm I need to look at my multiple choice and 8 markers cuz I find that tricky in a weird way aha , the graphs on the mark scheme help a lot !
Reply 19

Thanks. I really happier knowing I am not the only one who hasn't started revising. I don't know about you but I just don't seem to have the time.:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest