The Student Room Group

Work in Formula 1 or investment banking?

Poll

Investment banking or Formula 1engineer

Hiya everyone,

I was wondering if you have worked for Formula 1 (engineering) or investment banks? If so, what were your experiences and would you recommend it?

I've read many articles online including jobinf1.com and http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/302106/exclusive-insight-into-working-in-f1-part-1/ but would love to hear more about the job from a 1st person perspective.

Included is a poll so please feel free to vote.

Also, I am not studying anything bank-related e.g. economics, so could this be a problem? (I'm in Yr13 and I will be studying engineering at uni).

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks,
Mikey
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump! :smile:
Original post by micboy
Hiya everyone,

I was wondering if you have worked for Formula 1 (engineering) or investment banks? If so, what were your experiences and would you recommend it?

I've read many articles online including jobinf1.com and http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/302106/exclusive-insight-into-working-in-f1-part-1/ but would love to hear more about the job from a 1st person perspective.

Also, I am not studying anything bank-related e.g. economics, so could this be a problem? (I'm in Yr13 and I will be studying engineering at uni).

Thanks,
Mikey

Plenty of engineering graduates from top universities make it into banking so for sure, that won't be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Please go into motor sport if you can! Investment banking is lovely but if motor sport is your passion and you have a shot at it then just go for it!
Original post by micboy
Hiya everyone,

Thanks,
Mikey

Head over to the F1 forum and look for Lib. She's our resident F1 engineer.
Reply 5
Whatever interests you more. It's as simple as that.

Plenty of engineers at banks that hated engineering and plenty of engineers at banks that would bite off their left nut off to work in F1.
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
Head over to the F1 forum and look for Lib. She's our resident F1 engineer.

Awesome! Thanks Mikey!

Original post by Paul Allen
Whatever interests you more. It's as simple as that.

Plenty of engineers at banks that hated engineering and plenty of engineers at banks that would bite off their left nut off to work in F1.

Hah sounds legit :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by AW1983
Please go into motor sport if you can! Investment banking is lovely but if motor sport is your passion and you have a shot at it then just go for it!

Aha thanks for the tips :smile:
Reply 8
When I started Uni getting a job in F1 was probably my dream. However during my time studying Mech Engineering I realised that a career in engineering perhaps wasn't for me. So now I work for an Investment Bank. Even though it wasn't my thing career-wise when it came to looking for jobs in other sectors having an Engineering degree carried a lot of weight.
Surely it's more interesting modelling drag on an F1 car than changing the font on a deck for the 100th time and cranking out yet another DCF.
i clicked because i saw formula 1 in the title. whats that about, man? what kinds stupid questions is this?

i am more a football person. no, not kicking the ball. tackling people.
Hi mate - I am studying Aero Eng and I can tell you that you will answer this question, probably in your first 2 years of uni.

Formula 1 takes a very specific type of person, who loves creating code / simulations / drag models etc. Personally, I find this very boring, as the input only changes very little each time. Think of a wheel profile, or modelling airflow over different aerofoils. It can get very tedious.

Personally, I am aiming for consultancy, which offers more than IB and F1 (IMO).

GL
Reply 12
Original post by DeeDub
When I started Uni getting a job in F1 was probably my dream. However during my time studying Mech Engineering I realised that a career in engineering perhaps wasn't for me. So now I work for an Investment Bank. Even though it wasn't my thing career-wise when it came to looking for jobs in other sectors having an Engineering degree carried a lot of weight.

Mmm. It is my dream too and still is, but I don't think an engineering career is for me either :biggrin: What do you think about your job in an IB? e.g. working hours

Original post by Tokyoround
Surely it's more interesting modelling drag on an F1 car than changing the font on a deck for the 100th time and cranking out yet another DCF.

True, but it's nice to be earning lots of money :biggrin:

Original post by Underdog123
Hi mate - I am studying Aero Eng and I can tell you that you will answer this question, probably in your first 2 years of uni.

Formula 1 takes a very specific type of person, who loves creating code / simulations / drag models etc. Personally, I find this very boring, as the input only changes very little each time. Think of a wheel profile, or modelling airflow over different aerofoils. It can get very tedious.

Personally, I am aiming for consultancy, which offers more than IB and F1 (IMO).

GL

Thank for your input! I can see what you mean! What stuff does consultancy involve?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending