The Student Room Group

I'm a Convicted Hacker and Ex Prisoner - Ask Me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by INTit
Did you finish your cs degree ?

No. I'm contemplating studying for a degree in Data Science, but I'm not sure if I'll go back.
Reply 101
Original post by Raylan Givens
Snapchat is probably worse. You're putting online a traceable image collection of you which will also show your location through the EXIF data. I don't use snapchat at all.

Why? You just said so yourself that there's no way people would track you unless they needed to for data mining.
Seems a little contradictory.
Reply 102
Original post by cascadingstylez
No. I'm contemplating studying for a degree in Data Science, but I'm not sure if I'll go back.

What IOC/dependency injection container do you use?
I played around with Ninject but haven't got into using it in projects.
Original post by qr95
If you wanted could you hack anyone on tsr? What did you do to get your name on that fb page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's possible. Would probably require the use of social engineering to begin with though.

I found and reported security vulnerabilities to them. I can't disclose what I found though, Facebook asked me not to.
Reply 104
Snapchat is probably worse. You're putting online a traceable image collection of you which will also show your location through the EXIF data. I don't use snapchat at all.

I mean, it is silly. But why do you mind people knowing your location?
Reply 105
What made me feel like I have nothing interesting to write? I have no self confidence at all lol. Anxiety and depression did that to me :frown:

No what I meant was what made you feel that way about abortion to begin with?
I'm not surprised, I'd be anxious if I'd been in prison!
Original post by INTit
What IOC/dependency injection container do you use?
I played around with Ninject but haven't got into using it in projects.

Unity, but I've been meaning to look at Ninject. I've only recently started using Dependency Injection in projects. I put it off for a long time.
Original post by Elf.
No what I meant was what made you feel that way about abortion to begin with?
I'm not surprised, I'd be anxious if I'd been in prison!

I've always been anti abortion. Never agreed with it. But, shortly before all this I was told I could never have children. At the time I was very depressed, I had a CPN who would visit me every other day, and I was drinking a lot. So, I wasn't thinking rationally anyway. I was angry at the world for everything at the time, and abortion was a big thing that played on my mind at that moment.
I've always been anti abortion. Never agreed with it. But, shortly before all this I was told I could never have children. At the time I was very depressed, I had a CPN who would visit me every other day, and I was drinking a lot. So, I wasn't thinking rationally anyway. I was angry at the world for everything at the time, and abortion was a big thing that played on my mind at that moment.

Opinion on bitcoin?

Opinion on the SEA 16 and their rape of Microsoft recently (twice..lol)?

Opinion on how people are constantly misusing the word 'hack' to apply to ddossers, and social engineers (who exploit yahoo emails etc)

Thanks for doing AMA!

(sorry for repost i dont know if you saw first one)
Reply 109
It's possible. Would probably require the use of social engineering to begin with though.

I found and reported security vulnerabilities to them. I can't disclose what I found though, Facebook asked me not to.

Wow. You must be go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't boasting about what you did on Twitter a little silly? Surely as a hacker you would know they could trace you
Reply 111

Wow. You must be good...how did you pass time in prison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.

why?
Reply 113
I'm not sure. I know people with low IQ's who are good programmers. I know people with high IQ's who can't code. You have to have a real passion for programming to be good. I love programming more than sex - I'm actually not joking.

Would you say someone who is pretty mathematical (someone who can get a 2.1 in a math/science degree at a mid-low tier Russell group university) can be a career programmer
Original post by akash11
Would you say someone who is pretty mathematical (someone who can get a 2.1 in a math/science degree at a mid-low tier Russell group university) can be a career programmer

It's still good to have a fairly creative mindset; anyone can debug stuff but many good hackers have a flair for it
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
Opinion on bitcoin?

Opinion on the SEA 16 and their rape of Microsoft recently (twice..lol)?

Opinion on how people are constantly misusing the word 'hack' to apply to ddossers, and social engineers (who exploit yahoo emails etc)

Thanks for doing AMA!

(sorry for repost i dont know if you saw first one)

Sorry I missed this.

I'm all for BitCoin. It's a step in the right direction to freedom. A currency that isn't controlled by the Government. I just I'd bought more in the beginning, I'd be rich.

I'm not up to date with SEA 16, so I can't comment on this. But, I'll comment on hacking groups. Any hacking group thats doing something for the greater good I support. The Government ignore it's people, and sometimes people go to extra lengths to ensure they're heard. It's not just Governments though, companies ignore it's customers, companies rip of their customers. Fighting against this is a worthy cause imo.

The word hack is used by the media to encompass any criminal activity that involves computer misuse. I agree, a DDoSSer shouldn't be called a hacker. A social engineer could be a hacker though if he's using social engineering for intelligence to escalate his attack further.

I think the media are to blame for this. The word is used far to commonly these days.
Original post by akash11

If you enjoy programming and take the time to study and learn then yes.
Original post by redferry
why?

I mentioned this on another answer. I can not have children, so for someone to waste a life because they don't want a child angers me. Especially when they could put the child up for adoption to give those who can't have children a chance to be a parent.

I am aware there are issues with women being raped and ending up pregnant, and this is so sensitive that I would preferrer it if you didn't ask me to discuss this.
Reply 118
Trail, error and practice. Set a cheap computer up as a localhost server and practice on it. Hackers, whether they're ethical or blackhat, usually know a programming language (Perl is a common one) and write their own scripts. So knowing a programming language helps.

There are frameworks that aid in learning such as Metasploit and BeEF. I'd highly recommend these if you're learning. NEVER test a network that doesn't belong to you or without permission.

Defcon videos on YouTube can be a great starting point to get a general feel. Also keep tabs on current vulnerabilities from sites like http://www.securityfocus.com/vulnerabilities (there's loads of these, subscribe to them via RSS).

For example, if you a see a Wordpress vulnerability. Install that version of Wordpress on your localhost machine and attack it. Toy around and practice and learn along the way.

It really depends on what kind of hacking you want to learn. It's a very broad subject.

Buy a Raspberry Pi. Set it up so its secure and part of your network and try and exploit it in any way you can. I do it for web security. I put my website on a server on my Raspberry Pi using LAMP and then I test it that way. The other way obviously to check is through forms and ensuring your SQL is properly escaped otherwise people are going to be running scripts to grab data from your databases and so on. Something that is most often overlooked by inexperienced developers.

thanks very much for those in depth replies! I may have to look into learning about this further :biggrin:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
ETHICAL hacker?

Yup it's a thing. A lot of penetration testing, defence checking etc...

That gets a few giggles normally :biggrin:

Though have a look at a job description of a "penetration tester" and it's honestly full of innuendos

Quick Reply

Latest