The Student Room Group

Average price for a first car?

What is the average price for a first car (given that it is not less than 3 years old) ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by S6991
What is the average price for a first car (given that it is not less than 3 years old) ?

You won't get a answer on that to be faír. Ít all díffers on your needs and círcumstance.
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
You won't get a answer on that to be faír. Ít all díffers on your needs and círcumstance.

Yes I understand, but I just wanted to know what is a realistic price to aim for when searching for a car?
I have a few cars in mind, but they're around £8000 <
and was wondering if that is too much considering the fact that it is a first car?
Reply 3
I paid just over 3k for my first car which was about 4-5 years old at the time. Personally I'd say it's best to not pay too much for a first car just while you're getting used to driving solo.

I haven't had any accidents in it but you never know.
Reply 4
Original post by S6991
Yes I understand, but I just wanted to know what is a realistic price to aim for when searching for a car?
I have a few cars in mind, but they're around £8000 <
and was wondering if that is too much considering the fact that it is a first car?

Well have you taken ínto consíderation for the ínsurance? As well as other costs such as parkíng permíts, road tax, etc daíly runníng costs and what not?

Also agree wíth the other user, íf you aren't a confídent driver and are gettíng used to a car, you're bound to scratch ít up and what not....
(edited 10 years ago)
I got an 07 ka for 1200 quid. Yeah it's a crap car but it has four wheels and an engine. Don't pay too much for a first car because it's not worth it and unless you are in a decent job the insurence will kill your bank. 8 grand is way too much IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Iqbal007
Well have you taken ínto consíderation for the ínsurance? As well as other costs such as parkíng permíts, road tax, etc daíly runníng costs and what not?

Also agree wíth the other user, íf you aren't a confídent driver and are gettíng used to a car, you're bound to scratch ít up and what not....

I found that the newer the car, the cheaper the insurance. It might not be the same for everyone though and it might be different for different cars.
I totally agree though that you dont want to spend huge amount on your first car. £8000 is definitely too much. Basically because you are bound to get a couple of scrapes in your first couple of years driving and it doesnt matter if you didnt pay as much for the car. Plus you might as well wait until your insurance is cheaper, you have a couple of years no claims under your belt etc before you go around getting anything too expensive.
Reply 7
Paid £550 for my first car.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
I found that the newer the car, the cheaper the insurance. It might not be the same for everyone though and it might be different for different cars.
I totally agree though that you dont want to spend huge amount on your first car. £8000 is definitely too much. Basically because you are bound to get a couple of scrapes in your first couple of years driving and it doesnt matter if you didnt pay as much for the car. Plus you might as well wait until your insurance is cheaper, you have a couple of years no claims under your belt etc before you go around getting anything too expensive.

I've been looking at insurance prices, and i've noticed that insurance for a nissan micra se (02 reg) and insurance for an Audi A1 have a difference of approximately £400. So it makes more sense to get a nicer/newer car? Insurance is going to be sky high regardless of whatever you get though- right?
Plus, a newer car is more reliable, and would last longer?
Reply 9
Original post by S6991
I've been looking at insurance prices, and i've noticed that insurance for a nissan micra se (02 reg) and insurance for an Audi A1 have a difference of approximately £400. So it makes more sense to get a nicer/newer car? Insurance is going to be sky high regardless of whatever you get though- right?
Plus, a newer car is more reliable, and would last longer?

You probably could get a pretty good car for £3500 that is under 5 years old and hasn't been to the moon and back 10x.

A Suzuki Swift that is around 4 years old could probably be had in that budget, otherwise if it is something smaller then a Toyota Aygo would fit the bill just nicely.

Buy on condition of the car rather than age and mileage, there are plenty of older cars that still has plenty of life in it though I generally don't recommend buying a car that is older than 5 years as a first car.
Paid £1000 for my first car
Paid £2050 for my second car
Reply 11
Between £500-£1500 imo. Thats what most folk I know paid, you can get plenty late 90s low-mid mileage small cars for that. Mine was a 99' Micra with 38k miles which i picked up for £850. I wouldn't recommend you spend any more on a first car really since insurance flys up as soon as you get something remotely interesting.

Get a cheap banger with a longish MOT for your first car then after you have 1-3 years NCB and a couple of years on your license get something fun :smile:.
Reply 12
Paying £1200 in July for an 07 Matiz - buying off my parents for the price they were offered on trade-in.

but I do have posh friends ...
Original post by Emma:-)

I found that too.
Paid £1000 for my first car 2001 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRI 84,000 miles FSH

My next car I paid £2050 for a 2005 Vauxhall Corsa 1.8 sri, 84,000 FSH

I'll be keeping this car for the next 2 years tbh, I want a faster car next Civic type r EP3/S2000/Cupra R/MR2 turbo

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, insurance prices are quite high for those car tbh, not sure what else is in the mix tbh! Maybe a mr2 na could be in the mix
Reply 16
Original post by Katie_p
Paying £1200 in July for an 07 Matiz - buying off my parents for the price they were offered on trade-in.

Are you sure that is an 07? I thought GM bought over Daewoo in 2005 and there were no more Matiz or Daewoo cars after that?
Reply 17
Original post by Alfissti
Are you sure that is an 07? I thought GM bought over Daewoo in 2005 and there were no more Matiz or Daewoo cars after that?

Chevrolet make them now. We had a Daewoo Matiz back when they were Daewoo, and the Chevy looks almost exactly the same!
Reply 18
Original post by Katie_p
Chevrolet make them now. We had a Daewoo Matiz back when they were Daewoo, and the Chevy looks almost exactly the same!

Ok, I hope it isn't one of those 0.8l engined ones :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Alfissti
Ok, I hope it isn't one of those 0.8l engined ones :smile:

Haha, no, it's 1.0l which is still a bit pathetic, but it can survive my commute next year with a couple of passengers!
I didn't see the point getting anything jazzier because I refuse to buy new, and at least buying off my parents I know it's been looked after well (parents replaced the ___ belt at about £800 a month ago too, so that I wouldn't have to).

My sister bought a brand new car (I thiiiink it's a Kia Rio, but as I haven't seen it yet, I might be wrong) and some idiot opened a door onto it and did £1k of damage 2 DAYS after she got it :O I was against the idea of a new car before that...but now, I will never buy a new car unless I can pretty much afford to buy it outright!

Quick Reply

Latest