The Student Room Group

Aston vs Loughborough vs City (Cass)

Aston: Finance (AAB)

Loughborough: Banking, Finance & Management (AAB)

City (Cass): Investment & Financial Risk Management (AAA)

Which is the best out of those three (in terms of prestige in Finance/ environment)?

I haven't a clue what exact field I want to join in the future. Possibly IB (Risk Analyst/ Wealth Management)/ Accounting (Audit/Corporate or anything to do with Business).

Which would you firm/insurance. Initially Loughborough was going to be my firm as their standard offer was AAA and Aston was to be my insurance. Loughborough however decided to drop one of my grades so they're both AAB and I have to re-decide my action plan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Aston: Finance (AAB)

Loughborough: Banking, Finance & Management (AAB)

City (Cass): Investment & Financial Risk Management (AAA)

Which is the best out of those three (in terms of prestige in Finance/ environment)?

I haven't a clue what exact field I want to join in the future. Possibly IB (Risk Analyst/ Wealth Management)/ Accounting (Audit/Corporate or anything to do with Business).

Which would you firm/insurance. Initially Loughborough was going to be my firm as their standard offer was AAA and Aston was to be my insurance. Loughborough however decided to drop one of my grades so they're both AAB and I have to re-decide my action plan.

Cass is probably the best option for career prospects since it has the highest starting salary (£ 38.000 average) out of these 3. The employment rate is almost the same
Reply 3

Thanks, although the offers are exactly the same so I'm still in the same predicament.

Original post by Hanover
Cass is probably the best option for career prospects since it has the highest starting salary (£ 38.000 average) out of these 3. The employment rate is almost the same

Loughborough is ranked higher in Finance. I too thought Cass would be the best. There ave. starting salary however is £3k above Loughborough's which was a suprise.
They aren't 'exactly the same' - these two courses will not be exactly the same, the two Universities are very different.

Btw, choosing a course on the basis of 'average earnings on graduation' is nuts. Firstly, no amount of potential earnings will help if you get there and hate the course or the Uni. Secondly average earnings means exactly that. It doesn't mean 'if you do this course, you too will earn this'.
Reply 5
cass is good

but go Loughborough or Aston you would enjoy it better.

source: i go city
Reply 6
Original post by sucess
cass is good

but go Loughborough or Aston you would enjoy it better.

source: i go city

Is City not enjoyable? I have a friend who goes City although studies Radiotherapy. He tells me it's quite a relaxed university. The only down-side is that I wouldn't have that Campus (independence) experience as I already reside in London and it's about a 30 minute commute.
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
They aren't 'exactly the same' - these two courses will not be exactly the same, the two Universities are very different.

Btw, choosing a course on the basis of 'average earnings on graduation' is nuts. Firstly, no amount of potential earnings will help if you get there and hate the course or the Uni. Secondly average earnings means exactly that. It doesn't mean 'if you do this course, you too will earn this'.

I understand, I'd enjoy the courses offered by all three universities as the Modules I specifically wanted to study are included. Out of the three however, which would be seen as the most impressive by employers? Cass's course is much more Maths based than the other two. I'm not sure whether or not that would account for anything :confused:
Reply 8
Is City not enjoyable? I have a friend who goes City although studies Radiotherapy. He tells me it's quite a relaxed university. The only down-side is that I wouldn't have that Campus (independence) experience as I already reside in London and it's about a 30 minute commute.

im not saying its bad, but you would just enjoy it more outside london, for me its okay i dont mind commuting and i would hate living with other people so City was good
Any of the other two, not Aston.
Reply 10
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Deffo Cass. Cass is known for finance/business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Aston has a reputable Business School. Their employment prospects seem quite promising. Why do you advise against, may I ask?

Original post by anontsr

Cass is well known for Finance, undoubtedly. Although, It's ranked 12 whereas Loughborough is ranked 7. This causes quite the confusion.
Reply 12
Aston has a reputable Business School. Their employment prospects seem quite promising. Why do you advise against, may I ask?

Cass is well known for Finance, undoubtedly. Although, It's ranked 12 whereas Loughborough is ranked 7. This causes quite the confusion.

Forget league tables they're all biased. In the eyes of employers especially in the finance and banking sector they will look upon cass rather than Loughborough, in fact most major firms are located right next to city in London. I'm guessing OP would probably work in London after graduating? If so then deffo cass.

I also went onto asking my brother who is an investment banker. He said to choose cass but end of the day its your choice to decide where you'll enjoy the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anontsr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree.

Well, I went there for an open day for Law but I really hated the campus and the university seemed so business focused, it was like a business park. The campus also looks like an industrial factory. Not very welcoming. Well, looking back I guess that it would be good for you since Aston is quite business focused but if you are looking to get a good degree and also be a part of the uni experience, then I'll say go for Loughborough or Cass. Best of both worlds. It's your decision at the end of the day :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by anontsr
x

x

Thanks for the advice!
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for the advice!

No probs man, let me know what you decide by quoting me again :biggrin:

It's ranked 12 whereas Loughborough is ranked 7.

But what if the rankings change while you are doing the course?
Reply 17
But what if the rankings change while you are doing the course?

I doubt they'd change a lot.
But what if all those employers make a decision based solely on those rankings, and put your application in the No pile just because of the University you went to?
Reply 19
But what if all those employers make a decision based solely on those rankings, and put your application in the No pile just because of the University you went to?

Well they're all pretty decent in the field. They're not target universities so I'm pretty sure a 1st or a 2:1 at either institution wouldn't make much difference in applying for Jobs.

Aston: 17
City: 12
Loughborough: 7

Loughborough would seem like the choice to choose. Although alot have said City is more reputable for Finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending