The Student Room Group

I'm a Convicted Hacker and Ex Prisoner - Ask Me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cascadingstylez
This has already been addressed. The user qr95 asked the same question, and I backed it up with http://jamesjeffery.me/qr95/ ... That's my domain, his username in it, and my domain name is on that Facebook page.

Jeez. Why do people think everyone tells lies :s-smilie:

Not enough evidence. All that (empty) website proves is that you own the website and you add a username to it. Having an empty Wordpress website call billgates.com is not enough to prove that I am bill gates. The same applies to you. You have not yet proved that you are james jeffery. :smile:
Original post by EasyReppin
How did you get involved with Anonymous?

To what extent did you interact with them? Like you all must have been "friends" in order for everyone within the group to know each other by name hence being grassed on.

How long do you feel it'll take to be competent at "hacking" based that I currently know no programming language. Or just being able to do things in the Hacking sense, not necessarily doing things illegal :colone:
What language would you recommend to start learning?

How did you get involved with Anonymous?

Let's just say me and Sabu had common interests, and leave it there :tongue: My friend introduced me to Sabu.

To what extent did you interact with them? Like you all must have been "friends" in order for everyone within the group to know each other by name hence being grassed on.

I'd interact daily. Mostly on IRC, sometimes with a few members on AOL Instant Messenger. I was good friends with Sabu ... at least I though I was. I'd help out on a lot of their operations. I used to DJ on the AnonOps radio station too as a Dubstep DJ. And I ran a channel on their IRC servers teaching people how to hack. I was pretty involved with some of the members. All of this is public knowledge and the police are aware of it so I can talk about it.

How long do you feel it'll take to be competent at "hacking" based that I currently know no programming language. Or just being able to do things in the Hacking sense, not necessarily doing things illegal :colone:

Honestly? Years to become good. I answered a similar question early on in the thread.
Original post by Juichiro
Not enough evidence. All that (empty) website proves is that you own the website and you add a username to it. Having an empty Wordpress website call billgates.com is not enough to prove that I am bill gates. The same applies to you. You have not yet proved that you are james jeffery. :smile:

You're genuinely being stupid now and looking like an idiot. Go to the Facebook domain, and you will see my name: James Jeffery (jamesjeffery.me). Nobody can edit that page except Facebook themselves. Facebook added my name to that page, and my domain. The same domain name I added the other members name to. So the same person listed on Facebook as James Jeffery, is the same person that owns that domain .... ME!

I was listed on that page as a thank you for helping them.

Get it?
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
would you go back to it again, if given the chance?

No chance. I don't want to end up in prison again.
how did you get the job at facebook?
Reply 145
I just wanted proof that he is James Jeffery and now I believe he is. Because too many troll on tsr but this is real I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by precious maro
how did you get the job at facebook?

It's a very long story. I started by reporting vulnerabilities to them, helping them solve problems, and offering advice.
It's a very long story. I started by reporting vulnerabilities to them, helping them solve problems, and offering advice.

okay cool, are you now settled down with a family?
Good. It proves that you found some bug in Facebook. It also proves that you use the name "James Jeffery". But it does not prove that you are the James Jeffery that hacked the abortion website. For all we know, you might just be a wannabe hacker that uses the same name as Jeffery because he idolizes him. Show us an actual proof of your skills. Maybe temporarily change TSR's front end? If a low skilled hacker managed to display a funny message to all users of this site, sure someone like you can temporarily change TSR's colours?

You're funny. Hacking TSR would be illegal, and I'd break my license conditions. I am not involved in illegal hacking.

You believe whatever you want to believe. What idiot gets personally thanked by Facebook, and paid, and then uses someone else's name they "idolise" instead? Does that make any sense? Surely the person being thanked would want their own name as it would be a great benefit on the CV?

You're clutching at straws and your accusations are sounding less plausible with each reply lmao!
Reply 149

Jeez. Why do people think everyone tells lies :s-smilie:

Because there have been threads like "I'm a millionaire ask me anything" and also because they want to give you a hard time :/
Original post by precious maro
okay cool, are you now settled down with a family?

Yes, I have a partner who was wonderful throughout prison and supported me all the way.
Ok guys. It's time for a beer and some xbox one time. BF4 ftw! If anyone wants their ass kicked, feel free to post your gamer tags. I'll check back later and answer some questions.
Reply 152
how secure is Linux as an OS and are things like port knocking overkill?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by johnh1983
Because there have been threads like "I'm a millionaire ask me anything" and also because they want to give you a hard time :/

I'll have you know my thread about being Hitler's long lost cousin is perfectly genuine.
You're funny. Hacking TSR would be illegal, and I'd break my license conditions. I am not involved in illegal hacking.

You believe whatever you want to believe. What idiot gets personally thanked by Facebook, and paid, and then uses someone else's name they "idolise" instead? Does that make any sense? Surely the person being thanked would want their own name as it would be a great benefit on the CV?

You're clutching at straws and your accusations are sounding less plausible with each reply lmao!

I am not accusing you. :tongue: Just making you do what I want. :cool: I never said you were an idiot. All I said is that you have not proved beyond doubt that you are J.J. :rolleyes: And you haven't. People who idolise others often make no sense beyond the very act of idolisation. Neither do those who make AMA threads for no other reason than to get attention. :rolleyes:
This seems like a cool thing to do that a lot of people are doing. I get asked questions constantly about the topic title, so to heck with it. Here goes.

Some background info on me:

I'm 29 years old.
I'm a software developer.
I work with Facebook as an Ethical Hacker.
I spent 12 months in prison.
Studied 2 years at uni (Software Engineering).

Ask me anything at all. I'll answer with complete honesty.

You've got to be the coolest person on TSR. :excited:

Question: If a person wants to merely play around and isn't really being serious, would you recommend that they indulge in such disruptive internet activities, just for the fun of it? :biggrin:
Also, do you think it's possible to do all of this ANONYMOUSLY? Is it possible for a person never to get caught? Because it is the internet after all.
Original post by Oldtimersquirrel
You've got to be the coolest person on TSR. :excited:

Question: If a person wants to merely play around and isn't really being serious, would you recommend that they indulge in such disruptive internet activities, just for the fun of it? :biggrin:
Also, do you think it's possible to do all of this ANONYMOUSLY? Is it possible for a person never to get caught? Because it is the internet after all.

forreal this guy is supercool, the entire story is so fascinating!
Original post by Elf.
Why? You just said so yourself that there's no way people would track you unless they needed to for data mining.
Seems a little contradictory.

Original post by Elf.
I mean, it is silly. But why do you mind people knowing your location?

I don't mind them knowing what I'm up to but I'd rather them not have a complete chain of where I've been and so on. Of course, they only use data that suits them but I still wouldn't want all of that information out there. Of course, with location based data you're putting yourself at other risks as well which can become realities offline. Also, you're unlikely to know who this data is being sold on to and third parties often do try and buy it and if you've accidentally agreed to let them do so then your data can get into the hands of people who use it for other purposes etc.

Snapchat is putting together a complete chain of events that tell a story of your life if you're a frequent user.

1. Photograph in Spain by the sea
2. Photograph in London Luton Airport
3. Photograph in Oxford
4. Another photograph in Oxford

From that small amount of data somebody can already build a picture of things about you - I could make a guess that you went on holiday to Spain, flew into LLA and most likely out of that airport (maybe not) and that you most likely live or study in Oxford. Thats just a small sample of data being analysed. Imagine if it was a big amount? Location adds a real time and offline risk as well.
Reply 158
Thanks for sharing your experience; I enjoyed reading the answers you posted. I don't often talk about it but it seems appropriate to share: I was also a hacker (in both the criminal and non-criminal senses), though I was never motivated by ideology (for a long time I had none). There is a very satisfying feeling involved in hacking that I think appeals to a certain type of personality.

In reflection, I think I owe a significant deal to my involvement in it; it has effectively provided me with my career (Iike you I went on to study software engineering, and perhaps to work for an enviable organisation). But I think the most important thing I could credit it with is it taught me the habit of self-education. Although it has put you through an ordeal, maybe you feel similarly.
(edited 10 years ago)
It is unlikely that inmates have acess to computers on prison let alone someone that got jailed for using one for criminal purposes. The only alternative is that the is not James Jeffery and he is doing this for attention seeking purposes.

You'll be surprised what people in open prisons are actually allowed to use and if someone has access to a phone then due to the technologies they most likely have access to the internet as well. It depends usually completely on the prison policies. If he was in an open prison then he would have been categorised as low risk and he may have been granted access to a phone that had been checked and is monitored for behaving etc. It entirely depends and is as the discretion of the prison.

Quick Reply