The Student Room Group

Politics Degree Worries

I'm going to university in September to do history and politics, but my worry isn't actually about the course itself, its actually quite pathetic and silly to be honest.

The truth is that I'm a bit embarrassed by the fact that I'm doing politics. Coming from a strongly working class family, I feel like my friends and family don't understand what the degree actually entails, and just think I'm studying politicians and affairs at the House of Commons etc. and therefore think I like and approve of some of the negative actions that are seen on the news carried out by MPs. (I feel like even my teachers feel this way too- we don’t do a politics a level at my sixth form).Because some politicians are so unpopular, I feel like nobody approves of my degree choice, and I dread moments where somebody will ask me what degree I am doing, and I even leave the room if I think they might. (Pathetic , I know).Even my mum said ‘I hate politics, I don’t know how you can be interested in it’ and went on a torrent about how MPs are crooks and all in it for their own gains etc. which made me feel even worse.

I know you will all think if I was genuinely happy and interested in politics then I wouldn’t feel this way, but I can’t help it, and it is also something that I am really struggling to convey accurately on here. I just feel as though I could do with some advice and guidance on how to solve this problem, which is partly in my head, and partly not.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi tinhat,

Two things:

1. I think it is quite a naive view to simply tar all MPs with the same brush. You will not get anywhere on a politics course with that type of attitude towards representative institutions. You can be critical if you wish but must do so in a more nuanced manner. Though some MPs have been embroiled in scandal, of course, they tend to work extremely long hours and do a lot of important work that you might not see on the TV. Hopefully a politics degree will allow you to take a more nuanced view.

2. It is common for people not familiar with the academic study of politics to think first or only of British politics. Of course there are many sub-field that you could choose to pursue and, if you so wish, you need only a take a passing interest in parliamentary politics. Another annoyance is questions from family members assuming that you want to be a politician etc. Just tell them that they have quite a narrow understanding of politics and where a politics degree can get you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Shelsey
Hi tinhat,

Two things:

1. I think it is quite a naive view to simply tar all MPs with the same brush. You will not get anywhere on a politics course with that type of attitude towards representative institutions. You can be critical if you wish but must do so in a more nuanced manner. Though some MPs have been embroiled in scandal, of course, they tend to work extremely long hours and do a lot of important work that you might not see on the TV. Hopefully a politics degree will allow you to take a more nuanced view.

2. It is common for people not familiar with the academic study of politics to think first or only of British politics. Of course there are many sub-field that you could choose to pursue and, if you so wish, you need only a take a passing interest in parliamentary politics.

Thank you for your reply, I know that not all MPs are like this, I was just generalising for the sake of conveying how my family feels, and what has been in the media this week. :smile:
The study of politics has very little to do with British party parliamentary politics. Indeed, it wasn't until I was more than half way through my politics degree that we even mentioned the British parliament, and depending on the options you choose on my course you could quite easily get away with not knowing the difference between the Commons and the Lords.

To cut through the crap, I'd suggest making sure that people realise that this isn't a training course in how to be a politician, which is something I hear a lot, even from people who should know better ("you're doing a politics degree... Do you want to be the next Maggie Thatcher?"). Talk to them about the things you will be studying. For instance, I've done
- what is freedom? Is it the same thing as equality? Can one exist without the other?
- how do countries interact with each other?
- inner workings of terrorist groups, and how they relate to the state
- what's the relationship between borders and identity?

You will, of course, study different things, but it's a sample of things you could mention from a politics degree that have nothing to do with MPs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
The study of politics has very little to do with British party parliamentary politics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This depends entirely on your preferences. As somebody set to do an MA in British Politics and quite possibly a PhD on a topic related to British Parliamentary Politics it does for me! But your point stands of course - politics is a broad church with many sub-fields.
Reply 5
The study of politics has very little to do with British party parliamentary politics. Indeed, it wasn't until I was more than half way through my politics degree that we even mentioned the British parliament, and depending on the options you choose on my course you could quite easily get away with not knowing the difference between the Commons and the Lords.

To cut through the crap, I'd suggest making sure that people realise that this isn't a training course in how to be a politician, which is something I hear a lot, even from people who should know better ("you're doing a politics degree... Do you want to be the next Maggie Thatcher?"). Talk to them about the things you will be studying. For instance, I've done
- what is freedom? Is it the same thing as equality? Can one exist without the other?
- how do countries interact with each other?
- inner workings of terrorist groups, and how they relate to the state
- what's the relationship between borders and identity?

You will, of course, study different things, but it's a sample of things you could mention from a politics degree that have nothing to do with MPs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply :smile: I too have had the 'are you going to be the next Margaret Thatcher?' question. I know my qualms sound silly but your reply has helped me a lot! The topics you have studied sound really interesting, which university do/did you go to?
Original post by tinhat
Thanks for your reply :smile: I too have had the 'are you going to be the next Margaret Thatcher?' question. I know my qualms sound silly but your reply has helped me a lot! The topics you have studied sound really interesting, which university do/did you go to?

Uni of Manchester :smile:

It's always a good thing when the sort of topics that you might study at uni sound interesting :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Uni of Manchester :smile:

It's always a good thing when the sort of topics that you might study at uni sound interesting :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sarcasm? :wink:
Original post by tinhat
Sarcasm? :wink:

No. You'd be surprised how many people pick degrees they aren't actually interested in :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
No. You'd be surprised how many people pick degrees they aren't actually interested in :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's £27,000 well spent then :P
Original post by tinhat
that's £27,000 well spent then :P

I like to think of it in terms of being a very expensive way to make yourself miserable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending