The Student Room Group

Is 16hrs too much ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ronove
Do your parents still provide you with essentials? What the other poster said is true - you will do better to get better grades. Unless you actually need a job, you should consider quitting rather than stretching yourself too thin (ie if they refuse to cut your hours to something you're comfortable with).

However if you think that this job will be open to you over the summers when you're not at uni, and/or you can get a transfer to a local store (if it's a chain) while at uni if you stick it out now, I would try to hold onto the job. You may need extra cash more while at university and if you have only got a very limited work history, you don't want to necessarily entirely give up on something that will make you more employable if you need to find new jobs in the summer and/or at uni.

My parents do but I would still need to work as I'm 21 ( only going to uni sept long story meet a guy half way through being a grade A student barely done exams)
Now I'm fixing that and aiming for A's and feel 3 days is to much work .. I get free makeup from my job lol so don't want to give it up and I've worked there 4 years ( I don't love my job just doubt i could get a better one as I'm a student)
I'm confused . Really want A's and think il have to cut down my hours for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by tink15
My parents do but I would still need to work as I'm 21 ( only going to uni sept long story meet a guy half way through being a grade A student barely done exams)
Now I'm fixing that and aiming for A's and feel 3 days is to much work .. I get free makeup from my job lol so don't want to give it up and I've worked there 4 years ( I don't love my job just doubt i could get a better one as I'm a student)
I'm confused . Really want A's and think il have to cut down my hours for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you still need to work? Do you mean to cover college costs (do you have to pay for your courses?)? Or simply because you think your parents don't need to support you at 21? There's no reason for your parents not to completely support you while you're doing A-levels. Of course, they can decide not to, but you shouldn't feel strange about it if they're willing to.

Given that you've worked there for 4 years, I can imagine that they'd be more willing to hire you over the summer before you go to uni and over the summers where you're not at uni. 4 years is also plenty enough to give you a great chance at getting a different job over summers/at uni if they don't want to give you a job again. If you need to cut down your hours for the grades you want, do it. If you need to quit your job for the time being to get the grades you want, do it. Unless you would be made homeless or be unable to afford to live.
Reply 22
Original post by Rainbow Student
If you actually read my bloody post, you'll see that I also do part-time stuff. I'm a volunteer and I have a boss and everything. So yes, I have clearly understood what the post is about, I was just adding more information and talking about balancing my studies with my work and my social life, so if you're going to try to pick arguments, at least don't do so with an epic fail. :rolleyes:

Excuse me? If you understood, why were you comparing your hours, which included predominantly study time, to other people's hours which did not, and bemoaning the difference?

done longer shifts in a day.
Reply 24
Original post by consumed by stuff
done longer shifts in a day.

As have I . I'm not work shy at all I worked a lot over Xmas..it's just with studying I'm thinking it could get hard. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
lul, I can't even comprehend working for 5.33 hours a day on top of going to Sixth. I really should get out of that mentality, but you're seriously placing yourself at a disadvantage with respect to the work-life balance. It'll end up being detrimental to your grades as opposed to an increase in your output.

I'm gonna go get a coffee and start Maths...
Reply 26
Original post by Ronove
Why would you still need to work? Do you mean to cover college costs (do you have to pay for your courses?)? Or simply because you think your parents don't need to support you at 21? There's no reason for your parents not to completely support you while you're doing A-levels. Of course, they can decide not to, but you shouldn't feel strange about it if they're willing to.

Given that you've worked there for 4 years, I can imagine that they'd be more willing to hire you over the summer before you go to uni and over the summers where you're not at uni. 4 years is also plenty enough to give you a great chance at getting a different job over summers/at uni if they don't want to give you a job again. If you need to cut down your hours for the grades you want, do it. If you need to quit your job for the time being to get the grades you want, do it. Unless you would be made homeless or be unable to afford to live.

A bit of both and they pay my car running costs which I feel is enough and help me by giving me money now and then. I'd feel bad waiting on money from them and my mum is kinda old school is say she would rather me work even if I didn't need to even if it was to save if u get me..
Plus don't want to leave my job - purely for the benefits. It's just a small makeup counter so it wouldn't be fully flexible in working when I can so it's all or nothing. My area manager is a dragon so Gona ask can I change contract to 2 days - hope I can. Used to love my job I think it's part boredom too tbh working in same place. Right defo Gona ask to change my contract to less xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by AdamskiUK
lul, I can't even comprehend working for 5.33 hours a day on top of going to Sixth. I really should get out of that mentality, but you're seriously placing yourself at a disadvantage with respect to the work-life balance. It'll end up being detrimental to your grades as opposed to an increase in your output.

I'm gonna go get a coffee and start Maths...

I know I feel guilty standing in work when I feel I should be studying :/ Gona ask for less hours and have hols to take x what U studying x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tink15
I know I feel guilty standing in work when I feel I should be studying :/ Gona ask for less hours and have hols to take x what U studying x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A-Level :smile:

Pretty flippin' demanding considering we don't have January exams!
Original post by tink15
Whilst studying a levels? It's over 3 days x

Posted from TSR Mobile

no its fine, like everyone at my college works 3 or 4 shifts of 6 hours, which makes 18 - 24 hours per week. so yea you should be fine
Reply 30
Original post by Mohid Khan
no its fine, like everyone at my college works 3 or 4 shifts of 6 hours, which makes 18 - 24 hours per week. so yea you should be fine

While studying 3/4 a levels? Wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tink15
While studying 3/4 a levels? Wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea mostly 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Mohid Khan

I wonder what grades they are aiming for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by tink15
I wonder what grades they are aiming for

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was also wondering this. Given that universities generally advise that you don't do more than 15 hours a week, and that's with courses that often have much fewer contact hours than A-levels, I can't imagine it's a good idea. At all.
Reply 34
Original post by Ronove
I was also wondering this. Given that universities generally advise that you don't do more than 15 hours a week, and that's with courses that often have much fewer contact hours than A-levels, I can't imagine it's a good idea. At all.

I'm working 16 defo Gona cut down!! Gona speak to manager at weekend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
Excuse me? If you understood, why were you comparing your hours, which included predominantly study time, to other people's hours which did not, and bemoaning the difference?

OK OK OK... I get it. My apologies, I mispresented the context of what I was trying to say. I have re-read my original post and understood that it seems completely out of context. This is one of the social skills that I lack- saying things that are always and thoroughly relevant. My apologies, an epic fail on my part. :rolleyes: I shall remove the posts too as the tone may be interpretted as sarcastic and/or aggressive, which is not what I intended. :frown: You may also remove your replies as they would look a bit odd on their own, (unless they automatically remove anyway lol). I'm sorry for confusing and/or offending you. :smile:
Original post by AdamskiUK
I study Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A-Level :smile:

Pretty flippin' demanding considering we don't have January exams!

Oh no... lol. The only one I like there is Maths :smile: And why no January exams? :confused:
Original post by consumed by stuff
Just get better at managing your time. I work with loads of polish staff still at uni. They all do a bare minimum of 16 hours and have a social life.

Hey if you want to you can delete your reply to my no-longer existing comment lol. I'm just deleting my posts to make way fo a better one. :smile:
Original post by Ronove
I can't work out whether you've understood what this thread is about or not. The OP is talking about having a part-time job while doing A-levels, where they work 16 hours in total spread out over three days. They haven't mentioned time they spend on studies at all.

Hey sorry that comment's gone now, I think :biggrin:
OK, now for a comment that actually makes some sense: :tongue:

16 hours as a part time job whilst doing (3 you say?) A levels would personally be too much for me, but if you can handle it, that's fine. I'd make it a bit less though, if I were you. I do 4 AS levels and people in my situation have been advised by the college to do no more than 8 hours a week. :eek: You do one less course and you do twice as much! :clap2: Wow lol. Tbh it's up to you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending