The Student Room Group

Rejection

Just got rejected from UCL but tbh it was kind of expected only because of my GCSE grades.

I got one a* but only 2 a's and 5 b's

I applied to Imperial (doubt I get in), City and Cardiff plus I got an interview at Royal Holloway (although its my last choice)

Im predicted 3 a*'s despite my poor first year

Do u think I have a chance in the other three Unis?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any help will be useful, thanks!
Reply 2
Idk mate im not a worker at those uni, there is nothing you can do about it. Just go and relax or do something like school work or you can chat to me maybe idk?
Reply 3
Original post by toola
Idk mate im not a worker at those uni, there is nothing you can do about it. Just go and relax or do something like school work or you can chat to me maybe idk?

idk if that was sarcasm or genuine concern, either way I appreciate the support lol
Reply 4
Original post by MR-M..
Just got rejected from UCL but tbh it was kind of expected only because of my GCSE grades.

I got one a* but only 2 a's and 5 b's

I applied to Imperial (doubt I get in), City and Cardiff plus I got an interview at Royal Holloway (although its my last choice)

Im predicted 3 a*'s despite my poor first year

Do u think I have a chance in the other three Unis?

What did you get in AS levels?
Reply 5
Original post by Dank108
What did you get in AS levels?

a in maths but a C in biology and D in physics

I only done 1 module for further maths, fp1, and i got a b on it.

Barely received any help from my teachers, most of it was self-taught, although thats not my exucse for doing terribly
Original post by MR-M..

Barely received any help from my teachers, most of it was self-taught, although thats not my exucse for doing terribly

How are you predicted 3 A*s? I don't mean to sound rude, but it's quite a high set of predictions considering your grades :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR-M..

That would probably explain why. What were your Maths module marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Lucy96
How are you predicted 3 A*s? I don't mean to sound rude, but it's quite a high set of predictions considering your grades :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The bad grades came from both my carelessness and complacency. Plus two of my teachers, including my maths teacher, had some personal issues so they were mostly absent. So overall the first year was certainly my worst.

as far as prediction goes, Maths is my strong point and I'm confident in doing really well in them, so I guess my teacher predicted them based on that. I did not talk to him about it nor did we negotiate.
Reply 9
Original post by yl95
That would probably explain why. What were your Maths module marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a 95 in C1 and an 85 in C2, and a 65 in S1

I know it looks bad, but Im gna retake my S1.

Do I have a chance?
Original post by MR-M..
I got a 95 in C1 and an 85 in C2, and a 65 in S1

I know it looks bad, but Im gna retake my S1.

Do I have a chance?

The C and the D would pretty much set you up for a rejection, I'm afraid, especially with the GCSE grades. Imperial don't look at your module marks. I fail to see how you can be predicted 3A*s with those grades.

What did you apply for?
Reply 11
Mathematics . . . :frown:

I like to think I'm really strong in Maths, although my grades may not suggest it
Reply 12
Original post by MR-M..

Applying for UCL with ACD is never really gunna go down well , unless you had medical/personal issues in the first year. That prediction of 3 A*s sounds ridiculous as well :s-smilie:

Good luck with the other universities though :smile:

My friend applied for Maths at Manchester on his gap year and had A*BC, A* in maths and B in further maths and C in physics. He was rejected :O I guess those applied subjects are pretty important.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Without sounding pessimistic, it's very unlikely that you'll receive offers. Your predictions are absolutely ridiculous. It was unwise for you choose universities with such high grade requirements but I wish you the best of luck all the same!
Reply 14
Thank you guys for the honesty.
Reply 15
Maybe city or Cardiff but doubtful of even those tbh...
Reply 16
Hopefully for my sake I can prove you guys wrong lol.

If I don't get the grades, what would you guys suggest?
Original post by MR-M..
Hopefully for my sake I can prove you guys wrong lol.

If I don't get the grades, what would you guys suggest?

Did you not research Imperial, UCL and others before applying? I hope you can prove people wrong but there's no point giving you false hope. If you got rejected from UCL, which, by the way, look at your module grades and want at least a high 80s average and to be safe, a 90s average in Maths modules, it's unlikely that you'd get in to Imperial. Did you sit the MAT? Even if you did get the offer, you'd have to work bloody hard to reach it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by yl95
Did you not research Imperial, UCL and others before applying? I hope you can prove people wrong but there's no point giving you false hope. If you got rejected from UCL, which, by the way, look at your module grades and want at least a high 80s average and to be safe, a 90s average in Maths modules, it's unlikely that you'd get in to Imperial. Did you sit the MAT? Even if you did get the offer, you'd have to work bloody hard to reach it.

I know the grade requirements, I'm just saying that if I don't get the required grades, what should I do?
e.g. Should I do my A Levels again and reapply to the same uni, should I reapply for unis that require less, should I go through clearing etc?
I really do appreciate the honesty, and I'm not looking for people to sugar-coat my, lack of a better word, 'failures'.
I didn't sit the MAT, but I did some past papers on it and some on STEPS and AEAs
Original post by MR-M..
I know the grade requirements, I'm just saying that if I don't get the required grades, what should I do?
e.g. Should I do my A Levels again and reapply to the same uni, should I reapply for unis that require less, should I go through clearing etc?
I really do appreciate the honesty, and I'm not looking for people to sugar-coat my, lack of a better word, 'failures'.
I didn't sit the MAT, but I did some past papers on it and some on STEPS and AEAs

I know, but surely you would have figured out that those entry requirements are far above the grades that you achieved? I'd wait 'til you hear from all of your universities. How are you finding the STEP and AEA past papers? Did you say that you will be sitting STEP this year in the summer? You can only go through Clearing if you miss out on your offer grades for both your firm and insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest