The Student Room Group

Really like this girl in college but afraid of rejection what do I do?

This girl the first time I saw her she caught me looking at her and she was sorting her books out, she turned around then looked at me a few times. I'm actually a pretty good looking guy but I have no experience of asking a girl out face to face! Its so hard. I would have done it but she's in my college it'll be so awkward if she rejects me. I really want her she seems popular but I don't know what to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
Get to know her a bit first then ask her out. Build a rapport and after you're comfortable around each other ask her if she wants to go out sometime. If she's in the library casually introduce yourself, ask about herself, what she's studying etc and take it from there.
Reply 3
Smile at her when she catches you looking. Say "hi". Ask her if she had a good weekend (or has any nice plans for the weekend if it's a Friday). Little things just to get a conversation going. You don't start with "will you go out with me".
Reply 4
Original post by jvc95
This girl the first time I saw her she caught me looking at her and she was sorting her books out, she turned around then looked at me a few times. I'm actually a pretty good looking guy but I have no experience of asking a girl out face to face! Its so hard. I would have done it but she's in my college it'll be so awkward if she rejects me. I really want her she seems popular but I don't know what to do?Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey man, all guys go through this, Its pretty simple essentially you've gotta look at the bigger picture, that feeling that you get when you think of her putting her books away, yeah that twinge in the bottom of your stomach. There are TONS of girls that you will meet in your life that you will feel the exact same way about, I mean there are so many amazing and beautiful women/girls out there and always remember that. So don't be too afraid of rejection pal as although its perhaps hard to imagine, there are literally millions of girls on this planet that could invoke such a response. So just lower the stakes by telling yourself this, if she isn't interested, just find another, women are fantastic beings. As for approaching girls just don't elaborate or anything generally avoid PUA or that alpha crap it can be helpful to give you pointers but don't over analyze stuff, you are just talking to another human being at the end of the day. If this girl is wildly popular you don't want to flatter her TOO much because she already gets that, you want to assert that you are equal to her so coming off desperate is a big no no. Just go over and say,. "Hey what are you reading, what subject are you doing?" etc etc, then GET HER NUMBER at the end of the conversation and say it was nice talking. Then later on that day TEXT her, flirty convo, but remmeber texting should generally be simple and short, dont over read into texts (its just like a normal convo except more blunt/concise) then after perhaps a day or two of texting/talking in school ask her if she wants to see a movie on the weekend. If she says she can't, move on, if she gives a reason then wait for her to re arrange (you've already stated you want to), if she doesn't within like a day, text "some other time perhaps?" if you get another excuse or rejection MOVE ON. Enjoy buddy, I'm feeling all altruistic now..
Reply 5
Original post by Crumpet1
Smile at her when she catches you looking. Say "hi". Ask her if she had a good weekend (or has any nice plans for the weekend if it's a Friday). Little things just to get a conversation going. You don't start with "will you go out with me".
Will you go out with me? (I earn 20k a year - I'm, a student)
Reply 6
Original post by Vodd
Hey man, all guys go through this, Its pretty simple essentially you've gotta look at the bigger picture, that feeling that you get when you think of her putting her books away, yeah that twinge in the bottom of your stomach. There are TONS of girls that you will meet in your life that you will feel the exact same way about, I mean there are so many amazing and beautiful women/girls out there and always remember that. So don't be too afraid of rejection pal as although its perhaps hard to imagine, there are literally millions of girls on this planet that could invoke such a response. So just lower the stakes by telling yourself this, if she isn't interested, just find another, women are fantastic beings. As for approaching girls just don't elaborate or anything generally avoid PUA or that alpha crap it can be helpful to give you pointers but don't over analyze stuff, you are just talking to another human being at the end of the day. If this girl is wildly popular you don't want to flatter her TOO much because she already gets that, you want to assert that you are equal to her so coming off desperate is a big no no. Just go over and say,. "Hey what are you reading, what subject are you doing?" etc etc, then GET HER NUMBER at the end of the conversation and say it was nice talking. Then later on that day TEXT her, flirty convo, but remmeber texting should generally be simple and short, dont over read into texts (its just like a normal convo except more blunt/concise) then after perhaps a day or two of texting/talking in school ask her if she wants to see a movie on the weekend. If she says she can't, move on, if she gives a reason then wait for her to re arrange (you've already stated you want to), if she doesn't within like a day, text "some other time perhaps?" if you get another excuse or rejection MOVE ON. Enjoy buddy, I'm feeling all altruistic now..

Thing is if she rejects me I'll see her everyday and I already have a low self esteem damn. Ok so I'm just gna go up to her and say Heyy what's your name? What you studying? Then say ive seen you around a few times and I find you really cute and I was wondering if I could have your number? Is that ok? Or should I say anyways I'm running pretty late why dont you set me your number and Ill text you later?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jvc95
Thing is if she rejects me I'll see her everyday and I already have a low self esteem damn. Ok so I'm just gna go up to her and say Heyy what's your name? What you studying? Then say ive seen you around a few times and I find you really cute and I was wondering if I could have your number? Is that ok? Or should I say anyways I'm running pretty late why dont you set me your number and Ill text you later?Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah this sounds weird but the key is to not think too deeply about it as you just begin to internalize anxiety. Whats the girl like? One of those english lit artsy types or a mathsy type?
Simply...grow a pair. It's the things you don't do that you regret.
Reply 9
Original post by Vodd
Yeah this sounds weird but the key is to not think too deeply about it as you just begin to internalize anxiety. Whats the girl like? One of those english lit artsy types or a mathsy type?

I'm not sure I dont know what she studies but I think she's more mathsy type whereas I'm more of a politics, law student

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Vodd
Will you go out with me? (I earn 20k a year - I'm, a student)

No. (See, doesn't work.):cool:
You've got low self esteem? But at the same time you think 'you're a pretty good looking guy' who told you this? Looks aren't everything first of all.

Secondly (and to actually answer your question) Just ask her out, yes, you could get rejected, that is most certainly a possibility. Why would it be awkward? Just dust your shoulders off and move on. Anyone who laughs is just immature, it takes a lot of courage to ask someone out/ ask for their number. Bear in mind there is also a possibility she'll accept and give you her number.

I'm rubbish at Maths but even I can tell that you have a 50/50 chance.

Would you rather say nothing and see her laughing and skipping down hallways with another guy? You'll be dying inside wondering 'what if'. You may even go through a phase of hating this guy because he is not you.

So basically take a risk and get maybe a splash of embarrassment if rejected ….. or…..ask her and feel more confident within yourself? Whatever the outcome at least you'll have experience of asking a girl out.

Good Luck OP!
if youre too chicken to approach her in person then find out her name, add her on facebook/twitter/[other generic soul-destroying social medium], chat to her, get her number and then build your way up.
Original post by jvc95
This girl the first time I saw her she caught me looking at her and she was sorting her books out, she turned around then looked at me a few times. I'm actually a pretty good looking guy but I have no experience of asking a girl out face to face! Its so hard. I would have done it but she's in my college it'll be so awkward if she rejects me. I really want her she seems popular but I don't know what to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the main thing girls like is confidence in a guy! so get to know yourself better and be confident! obvi at some point we all get nervous when it comes to someone we like , I remember myself getting all jittery when I liked this guy who was younger than me and defo not a hot! I still was all anxious but I made a excuse got his number and just started texting :smile: maybe if she's in your collage you could ask for her number to help you study or something ? Good luck! :smile: also a no is not a rejection is a chance to ask again LOL

Quick Reply

Latest