The Student Room Group

Help me get into Dentistry! :C

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ronove
Have you even checked whether that is possible at any of the universities you've applied for? It's largely a myth, I think you're in for a nasty shock.

Edit: My mistake, I take it you're still on a dentistry application cycle right now? Seriously, do some research on this if you don't get in.

Yeah I'm not sure this is a thing...would be great if it was though, could do Biomedical Sciences for a year and then into Dentistry? Would look good even though I've only spent a year doing it?
Reply 21
Original post by Danickman5
Yeah I'm not sure this is a thing...would be great if it was though, could do Biomedical Sciences for a year and then into Dentistry? Would look good even though I've only spent a year doing it?

The idea is more that you can transfer in to the Dentistry programme at your university, whether that be first year or second year. It's largely a myth when it comes to Medicine though, one which has spread due to the fact that there are a couple of universities that do and/or did it in the past. Can only imagine it's the same deal with Dentistry, ie misinformation.
Reply 22
Original post by Ronove
The idea is more that you can transfer in to the Dentistry programme at your university, whether that be first year or second year. It's largely a myth when it comes to Medicine though, one which has spread due to the fact that there are a couple of universities that do and/or did it in the past. Can only imagine it's the same deal with Dentistry, ie misinformation.

Hmm, I want to look into this more, should I start a new thread? Not sure where I'd look really... :confused:
Reply 23
Hmm, I want to look into this more, should I start a new thread? Not sure where I'd look really... :confused:

'Look into' implies doing a search, either here or on Google, not going straight to creating a thread. :wink:
Reply 24
Original post by Ronove
'Look into' implies doing a search, either here or on Google, not going straight to creating a thread. :wink:

True true :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by Ronove

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/biomed/study/transfer/

Err, okay well..
Reply 26

Ah yes, Newcastle was one of them. Note how ridiculously competitive it is. If you'd be happy continuing on and getting the degree you originally went there for, by all means have a go.
Reply 27
Original post by Ronove
Ah yes, Newcastle was one of them. Note how ridiculously competitive it is. If you'd be happy continuing on and getting the degree you originally went there for, by all means have a go.

Ah you see that's where I'm unsure, whether to go for Biomed and risk not getting into dentistry after the first year, trying again after I've got my degree, making it 8 years at uni :| or on the other hand going for ChemEng where I know I'll likely end up with a good job at the end of it, with the possibility of getting into dentistry afterwards, again 8 years, but a better career if I don't get in than Biomed? :s-smilie:
Reply 28
On the other hand I might get an offer from Newcastle on the 1st March and this worry will all be for nothing :biggrin: *fingers crossed*
Reply 29
Ah you see that's where I'm unsure, whether to go for Biomed and risk not getting into dentistry after the first year, trying again after I've got my degree, making it 8 years at uni :| or on the other hand going for ChemEng where I know I'll likely end up with a good job at the end of it, with the possibility of getting into dentistry afterwards, again 8 years, but a better career if I don't get in than Biomed? :s-smilie:

Firstly, I would not assume that the current Student Finance support will still be available for Grad Entry by then.

I would either reapply for Dentistry very carefully (ie make sure you're not applying anywhere that has already interviewed you etc) or I would choose whichever degree I thought I would enjoy more and do better at. If I'd easily be able to get a 2:1 in either, I'd go for the one tied to the career I think I'd enjoy more.
Reply 30
Original post by monisj1
But why you getting rejected if they so good results

Because it's dentistry.
Reply 31
Original post by Pride
Because it's dentistry.

Exactly man, this admissions process is baaaaaaaad :C
Reply 32
Original post by Ronove
Firstly, I would not assume that the current Student Finance support will still be available for Grad Entry by then.

I would either reapply for Dentistry very carefully (ie make sure you're not applying anywhere that has already interviewed you etc) or I would choose whichever degree I thought I would enjoy more and do better at. If I'd easily be able to get a 2:1 in either, I'd go for the one tied to the career I think I'd enjoy more.

ChemEng backup it is then :')
Before you sign up to another course, find out what it was about your application that caused you to be rejected, if there's something you can work on, that would be the smartest option (1 more year improving your application is better than 3 years of a degree you don't want and £27,000 debt)

If it's something like low GCSE's or something you can't really change now, have a look at moving abroad, there are dental schools within the EU that are accredited in the UK

I would advise against the graduate entry route, I honestly don't see a difference, they even say graduate entry is harder, if they wouldn't accept you now (for reasons you can't change) why would they accept you later? They tell you the minimum requirements are lower but look around you'll see the majority of successful applicants to these schools still have an impressive academic record
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymοοse
Before you sign up to another course, find out what it was about your application that caused you to be rejected, if there's something you can work on, that would be the smartest option (1 more year improving your application is better than 3 years of a degree you don't want and £27,000 debt)

If it's something like low GCSE's or something you can't really change now, have a look at moving abroad, there are dental schools within the EU that are accredited in the UK

I would advise against the graduate entry route, I honestly don't see a difference, they even say graduate entry is harder, if they wouldn't accept you now (for reasons you can't change) why would they accept you later? They tell you the minimum requirements are lower but look around you'll see the majority of successful applicants to these schools still have an impressive academic record

I've emailed Cardiff Dundee and Sheffield, just waiting for them to get back to me regarding feedback :smile: I don't think my GCSEs were that bad so hopefully it's not something I can't improve on :redface: I was considering studying in Norway, I speak the language and have lots of family there, but (being an idiot) I managed to miss registering for the Norwegian proficiency exam earlier this month so I could apply by March, now I'll have to apply in September (I think)...

Yeah I'm really not sure tbh, I don't fancy 8 years of uni, especially if I'm doing a degree I don't really want to do when I've no guarantee of a place on a Dentistry course afterwards :| looks like I'm either reapplying for next year, or going for ChemEng alone, just haven't decided yet :s-smilie:
Reply 35
I've emailed Cardiff Dundee and Sheffield, just waiting for them to get back to me regarding feedback :smile: I don't think my GCSEs were that bad so hopefully it's not something I can't improve on :redface: I was considering studying in Norway, I speak the language and have lots of family there, but (being an idiot) I managed to miss registering for the Norwegian proficiency exam earlier this month so I could apply by March, now I'll have to apply in September (I think)...

Yeah I'm really not sure tbh, I don't fancy 8 years of uni, especially if I'm doing a degree I don't really want to do when I've no guarantee of a place on a Dentistry course afterwards :| looks like I'm either reapplying for next year, or going for ChemEng alone, just haven't decided yet :s-smilie:

Do you already have a ChemEng offer? If not, and you'd be applying next year, apply for Dentistry again. You're unlikely to be rejected for ChemEng and you're likely to have more luck with Dentistry if you can improve your application, so you get to have your cake and eat it.

I would also totally apply for Dentistry in Norway, though you'd have to check how you would go about working in the UK afterwards, what with Norway not being an EU country, though from what I saw regarding Medicine, the EU degree process for registering with the GMC actually appears to be the 'EU or EEA' process, so it would be fine if it works the same way for Dentistry.

You may find that you don't have to have passed the proficiency exam by the time you apply, but rather as a condition of them giving you a place, so if there's an exam in May/June you might be able to take it then, after applying. I'm fairly sure that's how it works here in Denmark, or at least I hope it does, given that I've not yet completed the whole exam and I will hopefully be applying (for Medicine) in time for the March deadline myself...
Reply 36
Original post by Ronove
Do you already have a ChemEng offer? If not, and you'd be applying next year, apply for Dentistry again. You're unlikely to be rejected for ChemEng and you're likely to have more luck with Dentistry if you can improve your application, so you get to have your cake and eat it.

I would also totally apply for Dentistry in Norway, though you'd have to check how you would go about working in the UK afterwards, what with Norway not being an EU country, though from what I saw regarding Medicine, the EU degree process for registering with the GMC actually appears to be the 'EU or EEA' process, so it would be fine if it works the same way for Dentistry.

You may find that you don't have to have passed the proficiency exam by the time you apply, but rather as a condition of them giving you a place, so if there's an exam in May/June you might be able to take it then, after applying. I'm fairly sure that's how it works here in Denmark, or at least I hope it does, given that I've not yet completed the whole exam and I will hopefully be applying (for Medicine) in time for the March deadline myself...

No sadly not, I didn't choose a backup this year :| yeah another gap year can't hurt, just depends if my parents can put up with me for another year haha!

As for getting a degree in Norway, seems pretty good to go :biggrin: http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v197/n5s/full/4811683a.html

I hadn't thought of that :redface: I'd best get onto that haha, do you have to apply through a similar system to UCAS? Just that it's NUCAS for Norway :')
Reply 37
No sadly not, I didn't choose a backup this year :| yeah another gap year can't hurt, just depends if my parents can put up with me for another year haha!

As for getting a degree in Norway, seems pretty good to go :biggrin: http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v197/n5s/full/4811683a.html

I hadn't thought of that :redface: I'd best get onto that haha, do you have to apply through a similar system to UCAS? Just that it's NUCAS for Norway :')

Here it's called KOT (Den Koordinerede Tilmelding). I presume Norway has something similar.
I think it's 400 on the dot. Got my 5th gem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Ronove
Here it's called KOT (Den Koordinerede Tilmelding). I presume Norway has something similar.

Unconditional from Sheffield :eek: :biggrin: they interviewed me last year so didn't feel the need to interview me again, just gave me an offer instead :') wooooooooooooo!

Quick Reply

Latest