The Student Room Group

Is this part of "growing up"?

brief info about me I am 23 years old, live in california. studying to be a Registered Nurse and work at a restaurant .

Lately ive been feeling out of place. I cant seem to find ppl im interested in spending time with. Guys, girls, anyone. even my old friends im like, mehhh. and it gets really boring. Im not socially awkward ha or depressed. does anyone else have this feeling? like you dont know what u like anymore? or even more worrisome.. who you are?
Reply 1
Original post by ctrisha12
brief info about me I am 23 years old, live in california. studying to be a Registered Nurse and work at a restaurant .

Lately ive been feeling out of place. I cant seem to find ppl im interested in spending time with. Guys, girls, anyone. even my old friends im like, mehhh. and it gets really boring. Im not socially awkward ha or depressed. does anyone else have this feeling? like you dont know what u like anymore? or even more worrisome.. who you are?

no, my life is perfect

yes! i thought it was just me, well i grew up around the same group of friends and in the past year i just felt like i had nothing in common with them anymore and i just got bored all of the time when i was with them/nothing interesting to talk about.. i just blamed it on growing up

I moved away to uni in september and its definitely made me realise what i like and actually who i am. Finally met people who actually interest me! not to sound horrible, but its true.. obviously apart from 1 or 2 friends from home
Reply 3
Original post by Lone tiger
no, my life is perfect

wow, youre amazing
Reply 4
Original post by Jessica_94
yes! i thought it was just me, well i grew up around the same group of friends and in the past year i just felt like i had nothing in common with them anymore and i just got bored all of the time when i was with them/nothing interesting to talk about.. i just blamed it on growing up

I moved away to uni in september and its definitely made me realise what i like and actually who i am. Finally met people who actually interest me! not to sound horrible, but its true.. obviously apart from 1 or 2 friends from home

Thats exactly how i feel! how old are you? haha doesnt sound too horrible.
thanks. maybe i need some type of change too.

It's part of life.

I've never known who I was and I just see it as part of the game we're living. Not knowing what you like and changing the person you are is part of the fun. Think about it, do you really want to be the person you are for the rest of your life? I'd hate to be the person I currently am for the rest of my life because it would become tedious. For me it's almost as if I'm an entirely new personality every other month and I've just learnt to adapt to this because it's all I know. Also, I wouldn't know how to live with a stable personality if it slapped me in the face. I'd probably get bored out of my mind!

As for the relationships aspect, I don't know what to say about that. I'm in the same position but I think I put myself there because I'm so tired of dealing with friendships/relationships that just don't work out in the end.

I'm tempted to say that in the end it'll all work out but that would be complete bs. I guess all I can think to say is do what I do and adapt. It's easier than fighting it all or avoiding it all.
Reply 6
Original post by Vixen47
It's part of life.

I've never known who I was and I just see it as part of the game we're living. Not knowing what you like and changing the person you are is part of the fun. Think about it, do you really want to be the person you are for the rest of your life? I'd hate to be the person I currently am for the rest of my life because it would become tedious. For me it's almost as if I'm an entirely new personality every other month and I've just learnt to adapt to this because it's all I know. Also, I wouldn't know how to live with a stable personality if it slapped me in the face. I'd probably get bored out of my mind!

As for the relationships aspect, I don't know what to say about that. I'm in the same position but I think I put myself there because I'm so tired of dealing with friendships/relationships that just don't work out in the end.

I'm tempted to say that in the end it'll all work out but that would be complete bs. I guess all I can think to say is do what I do and adapt. It's easier than fighting it all or avoiding it all.

I really appreciate your advice and point of view. nvr thought of it that way. to adapt.. and that thats the fun part. to me change was always the scary part.
thank you

Sounds like growing up to me :smile: Keep branching out but also keep putting effort into old/current friendships, even just a little bit. Maintaining friendships can add a lot to your life, new experiences, introductions to new people etc.

i think that people who've decided for sure 'who they are' are boring and lwas stick to the same things because they 'know what they like' and end up stuck in a rut. so I wouldn't worry too much about that :smile: have a basic idea of your core values and then just follow your interests :smile:
Thats exactly how i feel! how old are you? haha doesnt sound too horrible.
thanks. maybe i need some type of change too.

im 19.. yep probably do just need a change to be honest!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending