The Student Room Group
Original post by lovepeace
Do universities look at your gcse grades when applying to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the university.. but say if you and 6 other applicants were up for the final place in your chosen course, and you all had the same A-Level grades, they would then look at your GCSE's.
Original post by staticas
It depends on the university.. but say if you and 6 other applicants were up for the final place in your chosen course, and you all had the same A-Level grades, they would then look at your GCSE's.

Well im doing a btec level 3 and aiming to get D* at the secend of the course im in my 1st year would my gcses grades hinder me when I apply for uni I got a c in english language english literature naths and rs a b in child development and e in french and geography and pass vtec science

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the moment im in my 1st year of doing travel and tourism level 3 btec and would like to go to uni when I would apply would they look at my results they are not great I failed 2 subjects got c in 4 subjects a b in 1 subject and a pass in science but when I was about to do the exams I had a family berevebce would my grades count against me when I apply for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the risk of sounding harsh, definitely try to apply for the lower ranked universities that won't be critical on things like that. And if you're looking to take a course similar to the one you're currently doing then aslong as you do well in the Level 3 BTEC you should be a well considered applicant. But try to make your personal statement very good too, many other students will have better grades, so you need to try and stand out positively in every way :smile:
Original post by staticas
At the risk of sounding harsh, definitely try to apply for the lower ranked universities that won't be critical on things like that. And if you're looking to take a course similar to the one you're currently doing then aslong as you do well in the Level 3 BTEC you should be a well considered applicant. But try to make your personal statement very good too, many other students will have better grades, so you need to try and stand out positively in every way :smile:

Well when I was just about to start my finwl gcse exams I had a family issue happen so that affected my gcse grades well I do extra activities

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the moment im in my 1st year of doing travel and tourism level 3 btec and would like to go to uni when I would apply would they look at my results they are not great I failed 2 subjects got c in 4 subjects a b in 1 subject and a pass in science but when I was about to do the exams I had a family berevebce would my grades count against me when I apply for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will have to send off the grades you currently have in the year that you're applying and you will also have predictions for what you are expected to get in your final year from your teachers. This will give a good inside to the university admissions department about what you will most likely end up with. I'm not sure what happens if you had a problem and this affected your exam results ( perhaps this could be mentioned by your tutor) but your teachers will know about this and may still give you the target grades you want and this will then be shown to the Universities
sorry if this sounds a little confusing, I'm not 100% myself about the last bit
So far I have a C in Core Science, a C in Maths, a C in Citizenship and an A in English Literature secured.
I'm resitting Maths and hoping to get A* (I sat the foundation tier before, I begged the teachers to let me sit higher but for some reason they weren't having any of it, but it seems I am definitely too skilled for foundation tier).
I am also thinking of resitting English Literature for an A* because I was about 5/6 marks off.
I am hoping to get A* in English Language, Distinction in ICT, and Distinction in BTEC Games, A in Geography, A* in RE, A in Sociology, A in French and I'm hoping to sit the higher exam for Additional Science and get a B (Science isn't my strong point, but I don't want any more C's because I want to go to Durham University).
Original post by toluluque
Hey can you remember what the poems were for the unseen poetry, and what the question was for of mice and men if you did that

I did the Of Mice and Men exam in January, so I'm afraid I can't help there. This was our paper: http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/papers/w13-4201-02.pdf
A* - 58
A - 53
B - 48
C - 43
D - 38
/out of 80

These are the grade boundaries for the English Language Exam on Tuesday the 5th of November (meaning 2 days from now!).

I wish everyone the best of luck!
Reply 8888
Original post by Stoke123
A* - 58
A - 53
B - 48
C - 43
D - 38
/out of 80

These are the grade boundaries for the English Language Exam on Tuesday the 5th of November (meaning 2 days from now!).

I wish everyone the best of luck!

How did you find out before the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
How did you find out before the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's what the teachers atleast think it is. If it is not exact, then there will only be a couple marks different to each grade boundary.

However if your doing the one in june, I think you'll be using UMS - based on percentage.
Original post by Miladrises
Are you tellong me my grades are crap?

no i just meant that there will be people with better GCSE grades than obviously and you want to be able to compete them and have the same chances as them
i think your greats are in no manner whatsoever crap :confused:
Original post by Miladrises
Are you tellong me my grades are crap?

Your grades are really good. But, in terms of getting into a competitive medicine course at university, they're below what is really expected. Good work experience and extra work along with 4As at AS and 3As at A2 might just about secure a place at Kings.

It does depend heavily upon where you apply as to how much they look at GCSEs. For example, i'm applying to Cambridge next year and they look a bit at GCSEs - I was told that my 9A*s and 2As would be fairly average for a cambridge applicant.

I think with your grades though, you'll be able to secure medicine course at a university :smile:

Hope I helped
Reply 8892
Original post by sophiamarni
dont let anybody tell you that you can i know my friends brother who got a d in science and does bio and he is going to cambridge his alevels are A* target even though he got Ds all Ds in his gcses

really Ds at gcse, and just because he got A*s at a level, Cambridge overlooked his gcses? that's amazing.
Original post by maryam77
really Ds at gcse, and just because he got A*s at a level, Cambridge overlooked his gcses? that's amazing.

What? He got accepted? How did he do
His bmat? Thats really cool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BC95
awesome, really well done :smile:

Thanks, now updated to 4 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs, as I got one remarked.
I got 1A , 4B's , 5C's and 1D Is that good????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itsmonique

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes well done!
Reply 8897
Original post by Itsmonique

Posted from TSR Mobile

no
Original post by ubisoft
no

whoa buzzkill much? :rolleyes:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I think you've been playing too much Mass Effect! :biggrin:

Yea your right, could have done way diffently more better, and now i have to do a english igcse re-sit coming up soon

Latest