The Student Room Group

Do you agree with nationalisation? Railways, energy and utility companies.

Poll

Should we nationalise our rail and energy companies?

Miliband has been wise to raise attention to an issue that's been effecting ordinary people for decades - the extortionate bills being charged by transport and energy companies. Bills have been rising consistently year and year, and there's keen evidence to suggest that this is not entirely because of increasing cost of raw fuel, but instead a consequence of cold-hearted profiteering on the behalf of a few business fatcats.

Just two weeks the 2.8% rise in rail fares came into effect. A fair increase or another attempt to make life harder for ordinary people to get to work and back. Could public ownership protect British people from profit-driven interests of these private companies?

Do you think that Britain should nationalise its railway and energy companies?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm a definite yes. It's so hard to do though the government won't have the resources to do the lot.
I am uncertain. Could someone please tell me why it is good to privatise something where there is no competition or profit incentive? Other than ideological Ayn Rand BS.
Reply 3
Original post by Moosferatu
I am uncertain. Could someone please tell me why it is good to privatise something where there is no competition or profit incentive? Other than ideological Ayn Rand BS.

Privatision is really something desired by those who have strong beliefs in free market, laissez faire economies - these people might be called neoliberals or neoConservatives. In their mind, private business is far more efficient than the public sector, therefore all utilities should be nationalised for greater efficiency and output. This was quite clearly the mindset of Margaret Thatcher, a keen promoter of business ethics inside the public sector.

Unfortunately, years down the line, the Thatcher government has left us with a private utilities sector that is failing the public in almost all regards. To nationalise an industry, you must upset quite a few business leaders and thinkers - often the same people who're donating to the Tory Party and even Liberal Democrats. Being seen as anti-business is not a desired image in the modern political world.

While I think we should adopt a more anti-business, pro-common ownership approach, the current culture in parliament is very much in favour of timid reforms and insignificant regulations. Nationalisation is really the thing ordinary British people have been calling for.
(edited 10 years ago)
For anybody looking at the profits that these companies make, their dividend pavements are freely available on line. They're normally only about 4%. Hardly excessive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I can't think of any industry that didn't suffer under nationalisation. British Shipbuilers, British Rail, British Areospace, British Coal etc; they all suffered from chronic mismanagement and lack of investment by a variety of governments. The majority of these industries are now much more reliable, much more productive and much more technologically 'cutting edge' than they ever were under nationalisation. I can't see how re-nationalisng them would improve anything.
Reply 6
I want these things to be better run and for less money. Would that be the case if they were nationalised? Are they better being private?

These questions are rhetorical because I don't see any fundamental reason why the state would do a better job than a private company and vice versa. Although if someone does have a concrete answer I would like to hear it.
The nationalisation of Natural monopolies is a decent idea, imo. Employ private sector heads and give them a decent wage to maintain efficiency. Private sector monopolies with no market contestibilty have no incentives to act in Public interest. It's all easy to say the government should nationalise something but there are other methods which may be more useful. Increased regulation on these sector and stronger pricing controls. RPI-X should be implemented definitely to encourage such firms to be more productive and to maintain a revenue from Corp tax. Although it can be argued that with increasing costs and inflation the companies themseleves can't be blamed. Regulatory capture might also be a problem in such markets.

How about if it were nationalised? Without profit incentive, what's the point in trying to invest/improve? Neo-liberals would argue that the Government are useless when it comes to innovation. I reckon without the free-market, prices would be at a an all time-high. Atleast the Private sector have some form of competition. As long as no colluding is allowed in markets for energy, I think the outcome currently achieved is pretty good. Contestibility itself is good, by nationalising such firms and implementing such barriers to entry who's to say the government won't screw up the whole operation?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
For anybody looking at the profits that these companies make, their dividend pavements are freely available on line. They're normally only about 4%. Hardly excessive.

From that bastion of the left, the Telegraph:

The Big Six currently suffocate the market. They produce 70pc of the energy, can sell it to themselves in bilateral trades and then sell it on to the consumer. At present, a lot of energy is traded via such secret backroom deals, with the equivalent of just 6pc of electricity consumption volume traded on an open market.

This has lead to a widespread concerns about cost inflation. The generation arm of a big utility can sell its energy to the retail side of the business, at a cost they determine without reference to the wider market. This can artificially decrease the profit margin on the retail side, while boosting it in generation, passing profit back along the supply chain. When energy suppliers claim to be making a "modest profit margin of 5pc", they refer to retail profits generation profits are much higher, and in some instances exceed 20pc. The large suppliers are able to extract huge profits from their consumers, but the current system enables that fact to be disguised.

Doubtless the trains are cooking the books in just the same way. Large dividends on the books would provoke uproar, so they keep them low, but the shareholders are no less wealthy in toto.

Why is it better to sell off infrastructure and hand over wodges of taxpayer's money year on year to keep them going? Better, surely, to have the taxpayers' money pay for it directly and they get to keep the asset*.

The public are nothing more or less than the shareholders of the government, after all.

*I'll tell you why this doesn't happen: politicians undersell the asset to get a lump sum now, so they can redistribute it (our own money! The gall to actually sell us back shares in, say, the Royal Mail is just a fat cock in your mouth as well as up your arse) the year before the election and get re-elected, and leave the bills to the taxpayer of the future, when they'll be long out of office. It is the financial mindset of the destitute Wonga customer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by JamesGibson
Just two weeks the 2.8% rise in rail fares came into effect. Could public ownership protect British people from profit-driven interests of these private companies?

Remind me what East Coast (ie nationalised railway) did with fares? 2.8% is pretty poxy, staff need wage rises and companies have to pay for inflation and to improve service and there is the shift to reduce taxpayer subsidy. I seem to remember people thinking British Rail was all that great and it cost a fortune per passenger journey. That said it seems mad that its cheaper to fly within the UK than it is to get a train.

I don't know too much about energy, sterling devaluing against the dollar by 20% didn't help, although I'd expect prices now to ease. I hate energy companies, but British Gas is still as bad.

The problem with both are there isn't enough competition for there to be a decent market and there are diseconomies of scale of having more providers. Especially energy where the gas/'lecy comes from the same place down the same infrastructure anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by flugelr
I can't think of any industry that didn't suffer under nationalisation. British Shipbuilers, British Rail, British Areospace, British Coal etc; they all suffered from chronic mismanagement and lack of investment by a variety of governments. The majority of these industries are now much more reliable, much more productive and much more technologically 'cutting edge' than they ever were under nationalisation. I can't see how re-nationalisng them would improve anything.

Really? Lets take your examples.

British Shipbuilders are dead in the water (we aren't bad at breaking them for decommissioning, but we don't make anything), hardly more productive...

British Rail, it doesn't feel any more reliable, the West Coast mainline is improved with pendalinos (a technology researched/tested by BR in the 70s), the East Coast mainline and the line from London to Bristol/Cardiff still run on Intercity 125s from the 70s. Ever been on Northern Rail? Their rolling stock is prehistoric. The sleeper trains look and feel as BR as they are.

British Aerospace has advanced, as would be expected after 25 years.

British Coal, well thats in a pensions mess, certainly not more productive...

I don't think they'd be 'better' under Govt control, but it'd cut out an admin tier and the profit would be for the state. But then they become political footballs which isn't good.
Reply 11
Original post by MatureStudent36

And yet supermarkets usually only work off of 1% or 2% worth of profit.

But the generating arms’ profit margins are much higher anyway at between 8 and 32 per cent last year, depending on the company– while they also receive big government subsidies to encourage low-carbon generation.
Quote from the Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-how-big-six-energy-firms-conceal-their-profits-8930039.html
They conceal their profit but I deem that to be a good level.

I think monopolised industry should have a government competitor, which is run by the workers and the consumers. I wouldn't consider it government intervention when it is run by the people, profit would be used to secure a decent wage for the workers and to invest based on what the public deems necessary.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Cylos
And yet supermarkets usually only work off of 1% or 2% worth of profit.

But the generating arms’ profit margins are much higher anyway at between 8 and 32 per cent last year, depending on the company– while they also receive big government subsidies to encourage low-carbon generation.
Quote from the Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-how-big-six-energy-firms-conceal-their-profits-8930039.html
They conceal their profit but I deem that to be a good level.

I think monopolised industry should have a government competitor, which is run by the workers and the consumers. I wouldn't consider it government intervention when it is run by the people, profit would be used to secure a decent wage for the wrokers and to invest based on what the public deems necessary.

I like the sound of a co-operative style industry being setup, with workers collectively (and democratically) making up the directors board. I think that's what real public ownership is about.
Reply 13
I like the sound of a co-operative style industry being setup, with workers collectively (and democratically) making up the directors board. I think that's what real public ownership is about.

No, that'd make them worker owned, not public owned.

To be public owened the public would collectively and democratically make up the directors board...
Original post by scrotgrot
From that bastion of the left, the Telegraph:

Doubtless the trains are cooking the books in just the same way. Large dividends on the books would provoke uproar, so they keep them low, but the shareholders are no less wealthy in toto.

Why is it better to sell off infrastructure and hand over wodges of taxpayer's money year on year to keep them going? Better, surely, to have the taxpayers' money pay for it directly and they get to keep the asset*.

The public are nothing more or less than the shareholders of the government, after all.

*I'll tell you why this doesn't happen: politicians undersell the asset to get a lump sum now, so they can redistribute it (our own money! The gall to actually sell us back shares in, say, the Royal Mail is just a fat cock in your mouth as well as up your arse) the year before the election and get re-elected, and leave the bills to the taxpayer of the future, when they'll be long out of office. It is the financial mindset of the destitute Wonga customer.

They can cook the books however they like. The simple fact is that the only way that publicly listed companies can discharge these mythical excessive profits is through dividend pavements. There's no other effective mechanism. The dividend payments are very straightforward to find.

The energy company's have been criticised for excessive. Profits, but any investor will want to see a return on investment. No return on investment, no investment.

A lot of people are mixing up monopolistic actions with comparative pricing policies.
Reply 15
Original post by Quady

To be public owened the public would collectively and democratically make up the directors board...

Agreed, but maybe consumers could be incorporated into the mix? Ed Miliband is also talking about giving more powers to consumer pressure groups like Citizens Advice Bureau and Which? - maybe ordinary consumers could be given a role in decision making as well. Look at the co-op retail chain, all of their customers accumulate points as they use co-op services, I'm sure the government to implement a similar system.

Some Tories might argue that this model is inefficient, or not profitable enough. However, all evidence points to the contrary. Most co-ops, because of their sustainable ideals and fair employee/consumer relationships are far more successful that short-lived private sector start-ups. Just take a look at John Lewis, Waitrose and all of the co-op stores - collectively owned, yet still make some of Britain's leading brands.
Original post by Quady

This was offered up during out closures in the 80s. Not surprisingly none of the workforce wanted the hassle of taking responsibility. Although fundamentally I do like the ideas of cooperatives.
Agreed, but maybe consumers could be incorporated into the mix? Ed Miliband is also talking about giving more powers to consumer pressure groups like Citizens Advice Bureau and Which? - maybe ordinary consumers could be given a role in decision making as well. Look at the co-op retail chain, all of their customers accumulate points as they use co-op services, I'm sure the government to implement a similar system.

Some Tories might argue that this model is inefficient, or not profitable enough. However, all evidence points to the contrary. Most co-ops, because of their sustainable ideals and fair employee/consumer relationships are far more successful that short-lived private sector start-ups. Just take a look at John Lewis, Waitrose and all of the co-op stores - collectively owned, yet still make some of Britain's leading brands.

You are right about cooperatives. However nothing is stopping more of them springing up other than a desire to set them up.
Miliband has been wise to raise attention to an issue that's been effecting ordinary people for decades - the extortionate bills being charged by transport and energy companies. Bills have been rising consistently year and year, and there's keen evidence to suggest that this is not entirely because of increasing cost of raw fuel, but instead a consequence of cold-hearted profiteering on the behalf of a few business fatcats.

Just two weeks the 2.8% rise in rail fares came into effect. A fair increase or another attempt to make life harder for ordinary people to get to work and back. Could public ownership protect British people from profit-driven interests of these private companies?

Do you think that Britain should nationalise its railway and energy companies?

Just don't nationalize hedge funds or I will leave the uk for good.
Privatision is really something desired by those who have strong beliefs in free market, laissez faire economies - these people might be called neoliberals or neoConservatives. In their mind, private business is far more efficient than the public sector, therefore all utilities should be nationalised for greater efficiency and output. This was quite clearly the mindset of Margaret Thatcher, a keen promoter of business ethics inside the public sector.

Unfortunately, years down the line, the Thatcher government has left us with a private utilities sector that is failing the public in almost all regards. To nationalise an industry, you must upset quite a few business leaders and thinkers - often the same people who're donating to the Tory Party and even Liberal Democrats. Being seen as anti-business is not a desired image in the modern political world.

While I think we should adopt a more anti-business, pro-common ownership approach, the current culture in parliament is very much in favour of timid reforms and insignificant regulations. Nationalisation is really the thing ordinary British people have been calling for.

The other thing you need to do to nationalize an industry is pay for it. Where do you propose we get the money for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending