The Student Room Group

Labour to force commons vote on letting in thousands of Syrian refugees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25847688

More imported voters for Labour then

How will we ever determine who these people are, if they have committed crimes, acts of terrorism and if they are muslim extremists

Yet again Labour standing up for everyone but British people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ace123

How will we ever determine who these people are, if they have committed crimes, acts of terrorism and if they are muslim extremists

I say let them in but keep them in camps on MOD land with no access to the general public or resources

see how many want to come then.
Original post by Ace123

Ed Miliband was talking about children when he said that we should take in refugees. So to say that this is an example of them ''importing voters'' is not true. Even if Labour were to take in people who are of a voting age, there are still problems with your claim:

- Refugees would first have to apply for British citizenship before they can vote (which is unlikely as they're refugees).
- Ed specifically said that taking in a couple of hundred people would be fine. A couple of hundred people will not make much of a difference to elections (even if we do assume that all of these refugees would vote for Labour).

As for crimes, acts of terrorism and extremism: refugees and asylum seekers must obey British law. I'd expect that if they break our laws, they would be kicked out and refused asylum:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/asylum/rights/

Your comments about labour ''standing up for everyone but British people'' doesn't make any sense. How does this even relate to them wanting to accept more refugees?
Reply 3
Original post by PopaPork
I say let them in but keep them in camps on MOD land with no access to the general public or resources

Eu will rule that illegal and give them all access
Reply 4
Original post by SHallowvale
Ed Miliband was talking about children when he said that we should take in refugees. So to say that this is an example of them ''importing voters'' is not true. Even if Labour were to take in people who are of a voting age, there are still problems with your claim:

- Refugees would first have to apply for British citizenship before they can vote (which is unlikely as they're refugees).
- Ed specifically said that taking in a couple of hundred people would be fine. A couple of hundred people will not make much of a difference to elections (even if we do assume that all of these refugees would vote for Labour).

As for crimes, acts of terrorism and extremism: refugees and asylum seekers must obey British law. I'd expect that if they break our laws, they would be kicked out and refused asylum:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/asylum/rights/

Your comments about labour ''standing up for everyone but British people'' doesn't make any sense. How does this even relate to them wanting to accept more refugees?

Kids grow up who is going to pay for their housing, care, nhs, schooling. And there is no way they will onyl let kids in all their parents will be let in as well disaster waiting to happen. As for the point about obeying British law that has not worked at all for the immigrants already here muslim immigrants have been causing havoc
Reply 5
God no, what a waste of time, money, space and resources. There are plenty of places between here and there they could go, why make it our problem?
Original post by Ace123
Kids grow up who is going to pay for their housing, care, nhs, schooling. And there is no way they will onyl let kids in all their parents will be let in as well disaster waiting to happen. As for the point about obeying British law that has not worked at all for the immigrants already here muslim immigrants have been causing havoc

Your concerns about who will pay for housing, care, the NHS and schooling are not relavent to your original arguement (if you could call it that, it seems more like rambling). Infact, some charities help refugees:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Refugee-support

''And there is no way they will onyl let kids in all their parents will be let in as well disaster waiting to happen'' - Ed's point was to take in children who had no parents (they would have died in the conflict). Taking in about a couple of hundred people won't cause ''disaster'', unless you can provide evidence otherwise?

Regarding your point about criminals being let in, i've done a bit of reading and thinking, and I don't actually think it is even significant. What you've said is merely speculation, ''what if''. Also, the purpose of taking in a refugee is to protect someone who is being wrongfully persecuted, or is fleeing war/violence. Can you please explain how their (potential) criminal past is relavent?

Original post by Ace123

Source? Or is this just fear-mongering?
Reply 7
Original post by Skip_Snip
God no, what a waste of time, money, space and resources. There are plenty of places between here and there they could go, why make it our problem?

fully agree Skip
Reply 8
Hmm Cameron retorted saying it would be better to spend money on improving conditions in the large official refugee camps, I'd be inclined to agree tbh. Whats the point taking in a token 300 say, surely better to focus resources to benefit them all?
Reply 9
Original post by Skip_Snip

Agreed.
Original post by Ace123

Bloody EU outlawing concentration camps, it's political correctness gone mad.
Reply 11
Original post by PopaPork

They're humans not animals.
Original post by Ace123

In what way have Muslim immigrants , been running havoc?

Your points have no evidence to support them , refrain from spouting everything that comes out of your arse.
Reply 13
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Your points have no evidence to support them , refrain from spouting everything that comes out of your arse.

There is definitely a disproportionate amount of immigrants in gangs, especially Asians running drug trafficking and all the other misdemeanors typical of a gang. It's not just Britain but it's the same in places like Canada, especially Vancouver. Yes there are more white British doing the same thing but only because of population ratios, do some research then reply to me.
Reply 14
Original post by Ace123

I am all for helping out Syrian refugees, though I think it should be a problem for the whole world and each country should take in their fair share. I reckon if it was done properly, like taking in refugees from camps rather than allowing someone to turn up at our doorstep then we are less likely to take in some Muslim extremists. You have to remember most people, no matter where they are from in the world just want to get on with life, support there family and work, most people in these countries deep down couldn't care for hardcore religion dominating their lives they just go along with it. The problem is when they get here they might get tangled up with young male British Asians that believe we are weak and basically take the piss out of the country.

I'm actually anti-immigration and anti-EU but I think when it comes to war or natural disasters we should help people, they will respect us more.
Reply 15
Original post by sarsoora
They're humans not animals.

Odd, it's how their Muslim brothers treat them in Muslim countries.

But I suppose you are right we are better then them and we do treat people better than that (but perhaps that is the problem)
Reply 16

Muslims account for 13.4% of the prison population

given muslims are about 4% of the population doesn't this suggest there is a problem with criminality with said community?
Reply 17

Ever heard of the London bombings, Lee Rigby beheading, sharia patrols, honour killings to name but a few
Original post by Ace123
Ever heard of the London bombings, Lee Rigby beheading, sharia patrols, honour killings to name but a few

There not Muslims.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest