The Student Room Group

Books...

Hey guys, Hopefully this post will be of mutual benefit; we all love a good book chat :P
So:
What genres do you like to read?
What's your favorite book/s?
What would you recommend?

I read a big range of stuff, just finished Walden - Henry Thoreau and am just starting on War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy. I have recently read Catch 22, A Clockwork Orange and some Hubert Selby; which I like very much.

(btw: anyone read Where the Moon Isn't - Nathan Filer? - noticed it in a shop the other day, seemed like a nice easy but interesting read. Any Good?) :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I tend to read pretty much every genre except those soppy romantic novels.

My favourite one is The Book Thief and I'd definitely recommend it.
I like to read books that make me cry, I've noticed most books I read is about abuse and death, I'm a happy person in real life :tongue: I don't mind other genres either...
Fantasy/Horror's where it's at. Dark Tower series <3

Crime Thriller

Anything by Lee Child and Jo Nesbo.

Robert Rankins books. Those are wacked out sci-fi comedy. I love his writing style. So informal. He swears a lot. Defiantly recommend reading it. They're so out of this world.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I tend to read pretty much every genre except those soppy romantic novels.

My favourite one is The Book Thief and I'd definitely recommend it.

I bought the Book Thief a few weeks ago. I can't wait to read it.
Reply 6
For non-fiction I tend to read philosophy, history and science. The book I finished most recently was The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell; before that I read Moving Toward Stillness by Dave Lowry - a collection of essays on budo. Today I started With Malice Toward None by Stephen R. Oates, which is a biography of Abraham Lincoln.

For fiction I like various things - I enjoy some young adult literature like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, and also more classic books such as Treasure Island, Catch-22, The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
My favourite books ever have probably got to be the Jack West Jr. series by Matthew Reilly. Ancient history fused with modern day action saving the world and mysteries along the way on an international scale. There's only three of them at the moment but more will be made...I demand it!

Apart from that, To Kill a Mockingbird was a really decent read. Although I hated analysing it during GCSE English, the storyline was really good I thought.

And if I'm ever in the need of a bit of inspiration and ambition, The One That Got Away by Chris Ryan. An autobiographical account of the time he got trapped behind enemy lines in the Middle East during Gulf War 1, and managed to evade capture and death by hiking undetected all the way to the Syrian border. Really gripping read!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why read when we have game consoles & TV?
Original post by Kilroy8
Why read when we have game consoles & TV?

Because you can't fit an xbox 360 and a tv into your rucksack when going abroad...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser
For non-fiction I tend to read philosophy, history and science. The book I finished most recently was The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell; before that I read Moving Toward Stillness by Dave Lowry - a collection of essays on budo. Today I started With Malice Toward None by Stephen R. Oates, which is a biography of Abraham Lincoln.

For fiction I like various things - I enjoy some young adult literature like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, and also more classic books such as Treasure Island, Catch-22, The Curious Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, etc.

Cheers, yeah read a lot of philosophy too; i'll check it out:smile:
Original post by cascadingstylez

Crime Thriller

Anything by Lee Child and Jo Nesbo.

Robert Rankins books. Those are wacked out sci-fi comedy. I love his writing style. So informal. He swears a lot. Defiantly recommend reading it. They're so out of this world.

Nice, I havn't read much sci-fi especially comedy. I'll look out for it cheers:smile:
Original post by OceanGlider101
Hey guys, Hopefully this post will be of mutual benefit; we all love a good book chat :P
So:

1. I love all of them, though I mainly read non-fiction and classics nowadays.
2. Favourite books... hmm.
- Crime and Punishment
- Godel, Escher, Bach
- Wolf Brother
- Northern Lights
- The Seven Professors of the Far North
- Neutrino
- Sciencia
- Code
3. Would recommend all!
Original post by StarvingAutist
1. I love all of them, though I mainly read non-fiction and classics nowadays.
2. Favourite books... hmm.
- Crime and Punishment
- Godel, Escher, Bach
- Wolf Brother
- Northern Lights
- The Seven Professors of the Far North
- Neutrino
- Sciencia
- Code
3. Would recommend all!

Yeah i've read Neutrino and Crime and Punishment : Great books!
I'll have to look at the others, thank you:smile:
Yeah i've read Neutrino and Crime and Punishment : Great books!
I'll have to look at the others, thank you:smile:

A warning about GEB though: it is LONG. :wink:
A warning about GEB though: it is LONG. :wink:

haha, well I've just started war and peace which is 1358! ... is it longer than that... XD
haha, well I've just started war and peace which is 1358! ... is it longer than that... XD

Well, I don't think so XD but it certainly is one hell of a book!
Well, I don't think so XD but it certainly is one hell of a book!

yeah... this could take a while! well im very intrigued :smile:
Favourite Genre: General fiction

Favourite Book: A thousand splendid suns.

Recommendation: Any book by Khaled Hosseini. If you haven't read A thousand splendid suns then please do your self a huge huge favor and read it. It is one the best books I have ever read. I think I cried at least 5 times :')

I also really liked The fault in our stars, really good book by John Green, don't listen to what people say, it isn't just a girls book XD
I finished reading the perks of being a wallflower, my opinion is 'meh' about it.

I have war and peace too! I haven't started it yet though.

I tend to go from one genre to next. I enjoy simpler books also, like Alice in the wonderland or the velveteen rabbit. And I'm liking the beginning of trainspotting, even in it's scottish dialect!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending