The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomclarky
You are infact directly involved in cruel acts to animals when you buy cheap meat. By paying for it you are essentially saying "I support this and i wish for it to continue."

I despise the attitude of "There's no point giving this thing up because it won't make much difference." It's a **** excuse and the exact way i used to think before i gave up meat.

We don;t buy cheap meat. We buy organic free range meat. Yes I have eaten MacDonalds etc but meat is a fundamental part of our diet. However I think we eat way too much on it, my family have probably halved consumption since we read up on the subject.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm the biggest hypocrite ever, if so :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love animals but I love eating food more.
Original post by Ggmu!
More hypocritical than vegetarians/vegans who consume or use animal products.

Nobody is perfect, but they certainly are hypocrites.

True. Everyone has a limit though.

Plenty of vegans/veggies have no problem using make up that was tested on animals, or using prescription medications that were tested on them.

I honestly don't care about the way meat is produced. I'd like it to stop obviously, but this is the reality of the industry when so many people want to eat meat. If it were up to me I'd just hunt for meat anyway and dispatch of it humanely, but in this country with your 'can't light a fire there mate' or 'need a license for that mate' it's more hassle than it's worth.
Reply 44
Original post by dada55
Sure, on my first post I replied to you: how is eating meat "directly" harming them?
And, How is it hypocritical to at least try to save endangered animals and improve conditions for farm animals? Are you saying it is better to either completely disregard animals or completely go against all animal abuse? In which case many vegetarians and vegans, as pointed out earlier on by others are also hypocrites.
You also use the word hypocrite as if to offend people, but given what I wrote above, I would be happier being labelled as hypocrite rather than be someone that eats meat and enjoys harming animals.

I actually said that buying meat makes a person directly involved in the acts of cruelty. Which i believe it does, by paying money for it to happen. There's a difference between that and saying 'eating meat directly harms them', which i didn't say.

I also don't remember saying it was hypocritical to try to improve conditions for farmed animals. I'm all for that. My original post is aimed at people that like to make a big statement about being animal lovers, yet take no regard for the meat they eat or where it comes from.

How does that even apply here? If I want to eat meat because it makes me feel better and is one of the only thing that can fill me up properly, I sure wouldn't be able to survive without meat. Just because you think eating meat is wrong, doesn't make it so. I'll happily accept my personal inner instincts as morally right because the other option for me is death or sadness. If the only way to be "good" is for yourself to feel "bad" then what is the point? Are you really telling me you would rather all carnivores just died off or something?

You stated that it was natural and therefore 'no need to change'. That's a logically false argument to make.
I sincerely hope you don't make all your moral decisions based upon your inner instincts. Our logical, rational minds should make moral decisions instead of primitive base instincts like appetite and sexual lust. For example, if i'm getting hit on by a hot girl who is extremely drunk, my primal animal desires still want me to have sexy time with her, but the rational part of my brain knows that it's immoral as she isn't in a fit state to consent.
As for the suggestion that you might not be able to survive without meat, that's rather funny. I used to think the exact same way before i very gradually phased meat out of my diet. It's easier than you think and i genuinely don't feel any different.

Yeah because they obviously choose the cheapest meat because they wanted those animals to suffer as much as possible. It had nothing to do that these people might not have enough money to fill their fridge with food and had no other option. You want these people to feel bad, but they are still better than those who feel joy harming animals. I don't think they are hypocrites, they just don't have other options.

Lol, if people can afford meat, they can afford to be vegetarian.
Original post by LukeM90
I love animals but I also eat meat, arent most farm animals bread for this purpose anyway? what would happen to this huge number of methane producing animals if they were not used for food and other things?

Also what would happen to all the farmers who own/provide them.

I dont agree with harming an animal for fun/sport though similarly to what a previous poster said.

Funny thing is I've met alot of "hardcore vegans" who wear leather products, drink non vegan approved alcohol and use non vegan approved beauty products, makes me laugh, met one drinkin guiness once had to inform him of his fishy pint lol.

I agree that lots of people will be out of business if there was no meat industry BUT if the amount of meat eaten decreases so will the numbers of animals that are bred for meat.
I have a friend who has an obsession with cows and thinks that they are so cute but still eats them too! :rolleyes:
Reply 46
Original post by Juichiro
1. Not really. You don't die if you don't eat meat. You eat meat because you like it not because you need it. And if you eat animals just because you like it, what could stop you from eating humans as well?

I'm referring to very early humans, possibly pre-sapiens, to very early sapiens. They were hunters. They ate meat. There is evidence for such activity and they thrived because they were hunters, not because they sat in a valley looking after baby rabbits and making sure the nasty wasty human race didn't eat them all. To them animals = food. They did gather as well, but without animals they wouldn't have been able to keep warm as they migrated from Africa either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Meat is part of a healthy diet... There also was once a time when people said they loved humans but ate humans at the same time...

Don't eat humans!

Anyways but red meat, well cows meat is suppose to be very very healthy it is highly recommended for those suffering from anaemia.
Reply 48
I own chicken and sheep as pets, and yet also eat chicken and lamb so i'm definitely a hypocrite
Original post by Juichiro
1. Not really. You don't die if you don't eat meat. You eat meat because you like it not because you need it. And if you eat animals just because you like it, what could stop you from eating humans as well?

no you don't die... But having just vegetables and fruit isn't healthy you need to consume more protein and fats, hince the reason why vegetarians take supplement pills... But supplement pills aren't always good for you.

I have a better question for vegetarians...

Why do some of you claim to be vegetarians but eat tuna before our eyes? I mean the tuna was once a fish that was alive... Doesn't that make you a bigger hypocrite?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by melinae
I'm referring to very early humans, possibly pre-sapiens, to very early sapiens. They were hunters. They ate meat. There is evidence for such activity and they thrived because they were hunters, not because they sat in a valley looking after baby rabbits and making sure the nasty wasty human race didn't eat them all. To them animals = food. They did gather as well, but without animals they wouldn't have been able to keep warm as they migrated from Africa either.

So you live your life as a hunter gatherer pre-sapien then?

I don't deny that eating meat got us to where we are now in our evolution but that's an irrelavant arguement to make in the current day. It's basically just the naturalistic fallacy again.

A sexist could use the same logic as you and say that women should only be the nurturers in the modern family because hey, when we were neanderthals women looked after the children while the men hunted for the food.
Reply 51
So you live your life as a hunter gatherer pre-sapien then?

I don't deny that eating meat got us to where we are now in our evolution but that's an irrelavant arguement to make in the current day. It's basically just the naturalistic fallacy again.

A sexist could use the same logic as you and say that women should only be the nurturers in the modern family because hey, when we were neanderthals women looked after the children while the men hunted for the food.

I know that's not how it is now, but it is these animal lovers that believe we shouldn't eat animals that I'm talking about. They don't think its right to eat animals and yet without eating/killing animals we probably wouldn't be here, thus hypocritical, thus relating to thread title. I do agree with what you're saying, but I'm adding to why it is more hypocritical for people who love animals that DO NOT eat meat to not eat said meat for those reasons. People do what they want, regardless of what is said/discussed here so every post is irrelevant, really. What I stated was my opinion as an animal lover that eats meat, not fact hat everyone should believe in.

Just an FYI, we were never Neanderthals, they are an individual species that co-existed along side us and possibly also died because of us.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by melinae
I know that's not how it is now, but it is these animal lovers that believe we shouldn't eat animals that I'm talking about. They don't think its right to eat animals and yet without eating/killing animals we probably wouldn't be here, thus hypocritical, thus relating to thread title. I do agree with what you're saying, but I'm adding to why it is more hypocritical for people who love animals that DO NOT eat meat to not eat said meat for those reasons. People do what they want, regardless of what is said/discussed here so every post is irrelevant, really. What I stated was my opinion as an animal lover that eats meat, not fact hat everyone should believe in.

Just an FYI, we were never Neanderthals, they are an individual species that co-existed along side us and possibly also died because of us.

That's not hypocrisy. Are you honestly saying that anyone that has morals or behaviour that's different from the way our ancestors behaved is being hypocrticial? It's false logic as i've already shown.
Reply 53
That's not hypocrisy. Are you honestly saying that anyone that has morals or behaviour that's different from the way our ancestors behaved is being hypocrticial? It's false logic as i've already shown.

Their existence is down to our ancestors hunting and eating meat. They're disagreeing with themselves and the reason they're actually alive now. I suppose it IS irrelevant as we don't need to technically eat meat but denying the reason why you are alive and the fact that for you to exist many animals must have died over your history is a pretty big thing to think about if they love animals so much. It's more about morals in their eyes than physically not being able to eat meat, which is why the past can still affect the way people think now. I'm not trying to change your mind, as I've said, this is MY opinion, not fact. You don't have to prove that you don't agree, and if you don't really have that much knowledge about early Homo Sapiens you're not really fit to comment about "false logic", since you didn't even know that we aren't descended from Neanderthals, no offense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Peter91
Pretty sure there is significant evidence that there was indeed a small amount of interbreeding between early humans and neanderthals, so not technically incorrect.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131218133658.htm
http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/2010/05/100506-science-neanderthals-humans-mated-interbred-dna-gene/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might be so, but they are still two different species, officially. They branch out and one species became extinct. Also, I wouldn't trust websites like these, while they might be big, it's always best to look at proper published Scientific Papers in journals like Nature, etc. There might be gene flow, but they are still two individually distinct species, as of now. It might be changed in the future but in current, they are different. Despite Humans and Neanderthals breeding, Homo Sapien did not COME from Neanderthal, so still correct. One existed without the other at some point in time, then they both existed, and then one died out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by melinae

We don't need to do what they did in order to survive.
Reply 56
I actually said that buying meat makes a person directly involved in the acts of cruelty. Which i believe it does, by paying money for it to happen. There's a difference between that and saying 'eating meat directly harms them', which i didn't say.

I also don't remember saying it was hypocritical to try to improve conditions for farmed animals. I'm all for that. My original post is aimed at people that like to make a big statement about being animal lovers, yet take no regard for the meat they eat or where it comes from.

You stated that it was natural and therefore 'no need to change'. That's a logically false argument to make.
I sincerely hope you don't make all your moral decisions based upon your inner instincts. Our logical, rational minds should make moral decisions instead of primitive base instincts like appetite and sexual lust. For example, if i'm getting hit on by a hot girl who is extremely drunk, my primal animal desires still want me to have sexy time with her, but the rational part of my brain knows that it's immoral as she isn't in a fit state to consent.
As for the suggestion that you might not be able to survive without meat, that's rather funny. I used to think the exact same way before i very gradually phased meat out of my diet. It's easier than you think and i genuinely don't feel any different.

Lol, if people can afford meat, they can afford to be vegetarian.

The problem with all your replies above is that their are based on YOUR personal morals and views. Morality is very subjective and I actually fully disagree with natural fallacy, natural fallacy is a man made thing as one way of justifying any of our actions. The same people that use it in arguments later use nature to back up their arguments, even more hypocritical. Maybe it is wrong to use nature to back up arguments in certain cases but then who or what do we base our morals and views on? Apart from religion, it falls down to our own views. Since everyone has their own sets of morals then either everyone is a hypocrite or we are all the same, since we are not all the same, then we are all hypocrites.

Comparing eating dead meat to raping someone? Haha funny guy. In all honesty, if the population of humans was at dangerously low numbers and was near extinction, then I would hope people did this if there was no other way to ensure survival of our species. Chickens and Cows are far from dying out and as long as proper care is taken off, farming and eating these animals does no harm to their species in the grand scheme of things. Helping endangered animals/loving other animals and eating meat is therefore not hypocritical.
It would only be hypocritical if they implicitly say that they do not want any harm to any animals and also that they believe that killing animals for food is a cruel thing to do. I personally think that killing an animal for food is not cruel unless it could seriously undermine the chances of survival of the species.
Reply 57
I think I love some animals more than others
You know those people on Facebook that often post photos of cute animals and share links to do with saving elephants/dolphins from harm etc. Can someone fairly call themselves an 'animal lover' but still buy into the barbaric, intensively reared, mass-produced factory farmed pigs, cows and chickens?

I love dogs, and wouldnt eat one. I dont 'love' cows and have no issue eating beef.

Think most people feel the same way. Do 'animal lovers' love Cockroaches as well? :rolleyes:
I am a meat-eater, but that doesn't mean I don't care about animals. I care very much about animal welfare, I truly hate people who abuse or neglect animals, and I want animals that are to become my food to be treated well and slaughtered humanely.

Humans are omnivores anyway so it's only natural for us to eat meat. There's nothing wrong with avoiding animal products if you object to it, but you shouldn't denounce meat-eaters as hypocrites just for doing what comes naturally to us.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest