The Student Room Group

Are these good a-level choices?

Hey :smile: For my A level choices I picked English lit/lang, History, Psychology and Sociology

In place of sociology I was going to pick business but it's seen as a "soft subject". Also do you have to take Law at A-level to do it at uni?

What do you think of these options? Right now I'm thinking of going down the path of becoming a psychologist.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anything YOU really want to do is a good choice, do what you are interested in. and if you have an idea of what you want to do as career/university check out entry requirements and make sure you have the right subjects to get into what you want to do!
become a psychiatrist, much more worthwile
Reply 3
I don't do any of those A Levels so it's hard to say much but as long as there subjects you enjoy and have an interest in you'll do fine, don't pick something cause it has a repuatation as a soft subject if it's not going to help your future career

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by yelladdnaeroom

I would, but I'm really not too sure about getting a medical degree.

Even better, become Historical Socio-psychologist with a PHD in Linguistics and English Literature.
Original post by Ariax
I would, but I'm really not too sure about getting a medical degree.

not sure about what exactly? its a piece of cake tbbh
Original post by adamsmithqm
Even better, become Historical Socio-psychologist with a PHD in Linguistics and English Literature.

still a psychologist doe :frown:
I'd recommend maths, biology and psychology + one other your interested in for psychology. I have no idea how people on my course cope if they didn't do biology A level.

About law, they prefer students who haven't done law A level and did 'stronger subjects'.
Reply 9
Hi
Can anyone give me some advice too?? I'm thinking of biology geography maths and spanish. I have no idea what to do at uni so are these good choices?
Original post by x__justmyluck
I'd recommend maths, biology and psychology + one other your interested in for psychology. I have no idea how people on my course cope if they didn't do biology A level.

About law, they prefer students who haven't done law A level and did 'stronger subjects'.

u at oxf? of course your course will be more science orientated than others. thats the whole ethos of oxbridge you nitwit. so your advice on choosing biology as a must is worthless
u at oxf? of course your course will be more science orientated than others. thats the whole ethos of oxbridge you nitwit. so your advice on choosing biology as a must is worthless

I really don't think there was any need for your rudeness. Yes I am at Oxford but all BPS accredited degrees have to cover a certain amount of the same topics. I did not say that biology is a must, I said I recommend it as it will make the transition to degree level easier. Psychology degree courses in general are a lot more scientific than psychology at A level and many universities state that the prefer applicants with one or more science subjects including maths, some include psychology while others don't. OP will be in a better position as an applicant and as a first year if they take biology and maths. When I was choosing which subjects to carry on to A2 I emailed an admissions tutor at UCL who told me that biology and maths are the best subjects to take.

Please refrain from ridiculous personal insults and incorrect opinions as taking biology is definitely not worthless. Also, if you are planning to attend university you should attempt to learn how to use punctuation.
Original post by Ariax
Hey :smile: For my A level choices I picked English lit/lang, History, Psychology and Sociology

In place of sociology I was going to pick business but it's seen as a "soft subject". Also do you have to take Law at A-level to do it at uni?

What do you think of these options? Right now I'm thinking of going down the path of becoming a psychologist.

Those are probably fine for either psychology or Law. English and History are both strong and well respected, Psychology isn't bad, and then after that it doesn't really matter what subject you take as a fourth. You don't have to take A-level Law to do it at uni, but it might be of use to help you decide whether you like the subject or not (which is why I took it).

Actually, universities don't really care whether you've done A-level law or not. Although the A-level isn't in the traditional academic bracket, it certainly isn't an 'easy' or 'weak' option. As far as I can tell the only issue most universities have with people taking A-level law is that there's a risk that they'll turn up to do a law degree thinking they know everything already. If there are other 'stronger' subjects you'd just as happily take instead then fine, but it's just wrong to suggest that people should drop A-level law for a subject they like less - if you want to take it then do so.
Reply 13
Dear god please choose what YOU want to do, don't get sucked into the route of "this is a soft subject" "take this it gets you the most credit in university". I take psychology and I love it but most people take it and hate it so I really can't stress it enough to do your research and try to take subjects you enjoy. If you aren't going to take business because it is seen as soft then that's crazy. You may take sociology and hate it but then be stuck with it so please be careful!

Good luck :-)
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Those are probably fine for either psychology or Law. English and History are both strong and well respected, Psychology isn't bad, and then after that it doesn't really matter what subject you take as a fourth. You don't have to take A-level Law to do it at uni, but it might be of use to help you decide whether you like the subject or not (which is why I took it).

Actually, universities don't really care whether you've done A-level law or not. Although the A-level isn't in the traditional academic bracket, it certainly isn't an 'easy' or 'weak' option. As far as I can tell the only issue most universities have with people taking A-level law is that there's a risk that they'll turn up to do a law degree thinking they know everything already. If there are other 'stronger' subjects you'd just as happily take instead then fine, but it's just wrong to suggest that people should drop A-level law for a subject they like less - if you want to take it then do so.

It probably depends on which unis OP is looking at, it's only some of the top ones that would have an issue with law A level. LSE are known to be particularly picky about subject combinations whereas Bristol like top grades and aren't too bothered about subjects.
Reply 15

Well actually, you said how I should become a psychiatrist, so I would need these subjects.
I really don't think there was any need for your rudeness. Yes I am at Oxford but all BPS accredited degrees have to cover a certain amount of the same topics. I did not say that biology is a must, I said I recommend it as it will make the transition to degree level easier. Psychology degree courses in general are a lot more scientific than psychology at A level and many universities state that the prefer applicants with one or more science subjects including maths, some include psychology while others don't. OP will be in a better position as an applicant and as a first year if they take biology and maths. When I was choosing which subjects to carry on to A2 I emailed an admissions tutor at UCL who told me that biology and maths are the best subjects to take.

Please refrain from ridiculous personal insults and incorrect opinions as taking biology is definitely not worthless. Also, if you are planning to attend university you should attempt to learn how to use punctuation.

1) youre a hypocrit: insulting my inability to punctuate right after telling me off for insulting you.
2) Im at university.
3) your meticulous punctuation is just an overcompensatory mask to hide your deepest anxiety: your BPS accredited degree doesnt contribute anything to society.
Original post by Ariax
Well actually, you said how I should become a psychiatrist, so I would need these subjects.

technically biology is not a must like chem, but preferable. anyway, well done for that. you'd make a good dr
It probably depends on which unis OP is looking at, it's only some of the top ones that would have an issue with law A level. LSE are known to be particularly picky about subject combinations whereas Bristol like top grades and aren't too bothered about subjects.

To be honest, as long as your grades are up to scratch I don't think even the top unis would care much. I did Law A-level and I'm now doing the same subject at Cambridge.
1) youre a hypocrit: insulting my inability to punctuate right after telling me off for insulting you.
2) Im at university.
3) your meticulous punctuation is just an overcompensatory mask to hide your deepest anxiety: your BPS accredited degree doesnt contribute anything to society.

1) I did not insult you, merely suggest a way in which you could improve.
2) Good for you.
3) My ability to punctuate is the result of attending primary school. I do not care about your opinions of my degree and they do not reflect my own. I currently volunteer with a mental health recovery group, helping people to be able to return to work, training or volunteering so they they can contribute to society, as well as the rehabilitation of mentally ill prisoners. This is an area I am interested in working in once I qualify, so I disagree that I will not be able to contribute to society with my degree.

Quick Reply

Latest