The Student Room Group

what complements physics?

Hey guys, I've decided to do physics, maths and chemistry at A Level, but i cant decide on my fourth option. I want to do four but i can't decide, should i do philosophy, economics or English literature? If you have any other subjects for me that would be greatly appreciated. 😊
Electronics, Computing or Further Maths.
Well the other two subjects you've chosen complement physics great. If you really wanted another one that would complement it, further maths definitely would but you seriously have to love maths to do that (I'm doing it at the moment and if you don't love maths chances are you'd hate it).

I'd say any of the other ones you've mentioned would be a good choice, just pick the one you like most. If you wanted to do a physics degree after most top universities look at your 3 most relevant subjects and aren't too bothered if you've done a non relevant 4th A level because it can shows a different learning style/skill which is still useful.
I would recommend further maths, computing and philosophy. Whichever you prefer, really. But FM goes better I think :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by k4l397
Well the other two subjects you've chosen complement physics great. If you really wanted another one that would complement it, further maths definitely would but you seriously have to love maths to do that (I'm doing it at the moment and if you don't love maths chances are you'd hate it).

I'd say any of the other ones you've mentioned would be a good choice, just pick the one you like most. If you wanted to do a physics degree after most top universities look at your 3 most relevant subjects and aren't too bothered if you've done a non relevant 4th A level because it can shows a different learning style/skill which is still useful.

Thank you so much, i think I'll do philosophy then! 😁
Reply 5
Original post by Ash_98
Thank you so much, i think I'll do philosophy then! 😁

I would go for philosophy. Seems the most interesting to me anyway and I kind of regretted doing all three sciences and maths, I can imagine having eco or lit might make you bored in the long run. You can do well but may long for that non-technical subject or not have do a **** tonne of reading. Those three subjects can get you 95% of university courses out there so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Learning philosophy, along with major science subjects, is challenging, but well worth it. We have to remember a few centuries back - when Newton, Leibniz and the likes - made enormous contributions what we take for granted today, the field was, as far as I know, natural philosophy, which then was broken down to physics, biology and chemistry. So, the role of philosophy in the advancement of sciences cannot be underestimated, it still complements it.
Reply 7
Philosophy is a good option.
Reply 8
Original post by tmorrall
I would go for philosophy. Seems the most interesting to me anyway and I kind of regretted doing all three sciences and maths, I can imagine having eco or lit might make you bored in the long run. You can do well but may long for that non-technical subject or not have do a **** tonne of reading. Those three subjects can get you 95% of university courses out there so

Posted from TSR Mobile

unfortunately i can't do philosophy anymore, but im now thinking about Spanish, im getting a's and a*s in gcse, what do you think?
Reply 9
Original post by Ash_98
unfortunately i can't do philosophy anymore, but im now thinking about Spanish, im getting a's and a*s in gcse, what do you think?

Modern foreign languages are always valued highly by admissions tutors / employers and if you are doing well already then that is perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by tmorrall
Modern foreign languages are always valued highly by admissions tutors / employers and if you are doing well already then that is perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest