The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year and apply in the next application cycle?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000
I can totally understand, maybe your personal statement wasn't what they wanted? See if you can show it to someone else.

When I was writing my personal statement I had an ex-Oxford English student, a published writer, and an ex-Cambridge admissions tutor advising me, and giving me specified feedback. The support from my school was excellent which makes the whole thing more disappointing, as they were really hopeful and I wanted to represent the English department in the best way possible.
Reply 21
To get over this disappointment, I guess you should be thankful getting rejected by uni who doesn't know how to appreciate you or knowing what you are capable of.
Original post by dream996
To get over this disappointment, I guess you should be thankful getting rejected by uni who doesn't know how to appreciate you or knowing what you are capable of.

I guess so :smile: It does take a lot of pressure off of me, knowing that I can set my own personal goals for this year to do the best I possibly can, without conditional offers and student finance causing unnecessary stress.
Reply 23
Would definitely apply in the next cycle
Original post by strangephenomena
When I was writing my personal statement I had an ex-Oxford English student, a published writer, and an ex-Cambridge admissions tutor advising me, and giving me specified feedback. The support from my school was excellent which makes the whole thing more disappointing, as they were really hopeful and I wanted to represent the English department in the best way possible.

That is even stranger then.
Original post by jelly1000
That is even stranger then.

I could have understood it completely if it was based on an interview because I am definitely not the most confident person. However, I wasn't even granted that opportunity at UCL or Warwick, and I don't see how what I submitted reflects that decision.
Reply 26
I would apply in the next cycle because you'll definitely get better offers. I got AAB in my A levels, with A's in English Lit and History. In my extra AS I achieved a U. I applied this year for joint honours English and History and have secured an offers from Nottingham, Southampton, Sheffield and Liverpool, despite having grades lower than the average offer for Notts. I have no extenuating circumstances and I'm not planning on resitting.
If I achieve A*AA this year, do you guys think it would be worth reapplying if I were to accomplish something in my gap year, e.g. Extended Essay, work experience, maybe another A Level?
Reply 28
I guess so :smile: It does take a lot of pressure off of me, knowing that I can set my own personal goals for this year to do the best I possibly can, without conditional offers and student finance causing unnecessary stress.

I'm glad you're taking this with a positive attitude (I know it's not easy) :smile: You can take some time to reorganise your time and your future. Maybe you will realise English is note even right for you. You might discover something much more interesting to explore and learn from. It's important getting back on your feet and moving forward. Don't get defeated by people who doesn't appreciate your value.
Original post by H0ls
I would apply in the next cycle because you'll definitely get better offers. I got AAB in my A levels, with A's in English Lit and History. In my extra AS I achieved a U. I applied this year for joint honours English and History and have secured an offers from Nottingham, Southampton, Sheffield and Liverpool, despite having grades lower than the average offer for Notts. I have no extenuating circumstances and I'm not planning on resitting.

Well done on your offers :biggrin:

I think I would definitely feel more assured having already achieved my grades if applying in the next cycle. Personally, this is how I feel the UCAS system should be to avoid unnecessary stress, but understandably leaving universities with only August and September for admin in unreasonable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dream996
I'm glad you're taking this with a positive attitude (I know it's not easy) :smile: You can take some time to reorganise your time and your future. Maybe you will realise English is note even right for you. You might discover something much more interesting to explore and learn from. It's important getting back on your feet and moving forward. Don't get defeated by people who doesn't appreciate your value.

:smile: I honestly cannot think of something I'd love to study more than English, and I guess getting the best possible academic grades and persevering can only prove that in any future uni application.
Reply 31
Well done on your offers :biggrin:

I think I would definitely feel more assured having already achieved if applying in the next cycle. Personally, this is how I feel the UCAS system should be to avoid unnecessary stress, but understandably leaving universities with only August and September for admin in unreasonable.

Thank you!

I underachieved at AS with BBBU, so I decided not to apply and wait until I got my results as my college would only predict you the same grade that you achieved at AS. Taking the gap year was the best thing I ever did, academically and personally as well. I've had a ball; working full time, travelling, learning to drive, etc. I'd definitely take a gap year if I were you, but make sure you keep yourself motivated when taking the exams. It can often feel disillusioning when you don't have a set "offer" or "goal" in mind.
Reply 32
If you do decide to reapply, you won't be rejected for taking a gap year. I did two applications (took two gap years for various reasons) and got into several Russell group top tens, without any A*s.

Just trying to reassure you gap years are not looked down on :smile:
Original post by bramley
If you do decide to reapply, you won't be rejected for taking a gap year. I did two applications (took two gap years for various reasons) and got into several Russell group top tens, without any A*s.

Just trying to reassure you gap years are not looked down on :smile:

Thank you! Just out of interest, what were your grades and what did you do in your gap year? :smile:
Gap year and use your experience of this application to improve next years ie apply to somewhere your prefer to Reading. Maybe 2 bankers and 3 risks.
Reply 35
Thank you! Just out of interest, what were your grades and what did you do in your gap year? :smile:

Well for AS I got AABBC. I applied for English, got some offers and then withdrew my application. Then I achieved AAAbb at A2 and applied for another subject during my gap year. I was unwell for the first half of my gap year so I didn't do much unfortunately, for the second half I did some volunteering. I got 4 offers, went to a university and it didn't work out, so I left and reapplied this year, and now have 5 offers for something I'm actually looking forward to. (I have no idea why the universities let me in to be honest, I was sure I was going to be rejected, especially by the top 2).

Basically despite my non exciting gap year(s) I have managed to get offers, so I don't see why you shouldn't either.

Your rejections are a bit weird, all I can think of is that UCL is very competitive for English, so I guess this was a more risky choice which might explain your rejection, Warwick maybe less so for English, but still up there in the league tables, and no doubt still popular for any subject. I'm assuming your GCSEs are up to scratch if you got a Cambridge interview, so I think you would be in a better position to apply next year, I think often applying with your grades already completed can be an advantage as long as they meet the universities requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending